Johns Hopkins MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sonic Hedgehog

MSTP guru
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just heard the following about the MD/PhD at Hopkins from an official source:

The last round of decisions for the Johns Hopkins MD/PhD program have been made. Acceptance letters/phone calls are been made during the coming week. Funding decisions for eight applicants will be sent out. Applicants with funding have until April 15th to make up their minds. If they do not confirm by letter, their confirmation to matriculate at Hopkins, their funding offer will be given to other students. Students who have not received funded offers have until May 15th to decide as per AAMC regulations.

Members don't see this ad.

The easiest way to be a M.D./Ph.D. at JHU is to apply for M.D. track and then after one year of M.D. studies, apply for the M.D./Ph.D. funding, most of the MSTP candidates were in through that route. The conventional route is like winning the lottery, I am afraid to say.

Retro,
You're right. It's like winning the lottery! But some people just got it like that :wink: Sonic is too modest and is just helping alleviate anxiety while also sharing information. I'll toot his horn since he wouldn't do it himself. He got a fully funded Merc Scolarship to Johns Hopkins MD/PhD program despite the fact that he is an international student.

Sonic,
Way to go Sonic! I'm proud of you man! :clap: I ended up getting a Stanford invite, but I think it was for regular MD. I'll have to pass it up. In anycase, see you at WashU 2nd look.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shut up Original!! You talk too much :D

-- I withdrew my application from Stanford's MD/PhD. They were quite disappointed. Anyway, with a an unbelieveably cool fully funded offer at Duke, I think you would have to be crazy to decide to come to Stanford's MD... Plus I don't really think our MD is that great. Either way, you're a winner. If you decide to come to Stanford you have my invitation (full expense paid board and lodging open).. See you at WashU man!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by SonicHedgehog:
• If you decide to come to Stanford you have my invitation (full expense paid board and lodging open).. See you at WashU man!•••••Awesome! but I doubt that I'll be out there. I'm heading out of the country in less than 2 weeks. I'll get back in time for Washu 2nd look, then I'll work my @ss off to graduate, then it'll all be over. I'll then kick back and make some $$$ before school starts in fall. See you at the Lou.

Congratulations Sonic on your acceptance and scholarship to Johns Hopkins. I didn't know Hopkins funded international students!

I'm an international student too and am considering applying to Hopkins MD program this year for Fall 2003. I'm currently a doctoral candidate hoping to receive my Ph.D. in May 2003. Do you know if scholarships are available to international students applying to MD only programs? From what I've read at the JHU web site, funding is only available for citizens or permanent residents. I would appreciate any advice/information you may have.

Thanks!
Jolly :)

Hey Sonic,

1) Do you know what the MSTP stipend at Hopkins is?

2) Does the MSTP grant cover health insurance, all student fees, or does it just cover tuition?

3) Whats the avg cost of living around the Hopkins area?

Sonic:

i saw that you got into a couple of awesome md/phd programs. what were your stats like in terms of academics/mcats/research/extracurriculars?

I'm thinking about applying to some MD/PhD programs but i'm not sure if I have the commitment for the long 8 years. If you're accepted into an MD/PhD program, do you have to commit to it if you decide later that you don't want to do it and would rather just get your MD 1) right before school starts 2) midway through first year 3) midway through 2nd year? would you then just pay the school back 20-40k for each year of funding?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Med Dude:
•Sonic:

i saw that you got into a couple of awesome md/phd programs. what were your stats like in terms of academics/mcats/research/extracurriculars?

I'm thinking about applying to some MD/PhD programs but i'm not sure if I have the commitment for the long 8 years. If you're accepted into an MD/PhD program, do you have to commit to it if you decide later that you don't want to do it and would rather just get your MD 1) right before school starts 2) midway through first year 3) midway through 2nd year? would you then just pay the school back 20-40k for each year of funding?•••••What you need to do is sit down and think about your committment to a career in academic medicine. Also ask yourself whether you would be passionate about, and enjoy academia. Going into an MD/PhD program for the money is definitely not worth it. First of all, such a person's chances of admission will be extremely slim. Secondly, if one sneaks past the admission process; one will be setting oneself up for 8 yrs of serious frustration.

My suggestion is apply to a regular MD program, then during your 1st year, do some deep introspection about your compatibility with, and suitability for the MD/PhD program. If you decide that it's definitely for you, then go ahead and apply 2nd cycle. PM me if you have any more questions. Good luck with your decision.

Jollycamper -

Hopkins does NOT fund international students to their MD program. You are required to place a crapload of money in an escrow account before they issue official acceptance. The MD/PhD has been different to me. When I applied, I didn't have any hope of getting in because I was a foreigner, but this year, for the first time, Hopkins managed to setup a private scholarship funded completely by the pharmaceutical giant - Merck, for the MD/PhD program. The Merck schol covers my MD years, and the Hopkins PhD program covers my PhD years. So essentially, Merck is placing the money on an escrow account for me. I'm really humbled by this whole thing, and I'm also very flattered that I get to be the first fully funded MD/PhD student who is not a US citizen. (At Hopkins). But I'm very certain that this arrangement does not work for MD only students.

I'm also not sure if the Merck Fellowship is a continuining award, or if it's just a one-time thing. I didn't know about it until I was interviewing at Hopkins (thinking that I made a big mistake spending money to fly out there). But I'm really happy that it worked out well.

MacGyver -

1). The stipend at Hopkins for the first year is $16500 (but I'm told that it will rise each year commensurate with living expenses). Graduate years, the stipend is $20K.

2). The MSTP grant covers tuition, stipend (but not health insurance during the MD years), and covers health and dental insurance inclusive during the PhD years. But it depends again on the source. My scholarship (because it is private) covers health insurance even during the MD years.

3) The cost of living is VERY VERY cheap. Some sutdents live in Reed Hall ($350 p.month). Others choose to live elsewhere, in a number of baltimore county suburbs - but they're all very affordable. The only thing that's expensive is parking ($100/month!!!) but I am told that's because of the bad neighborhood and in turn, they provide excellent security.

Med Dude - I'll PM my stats to you.

I agree with good old Original. He's absolutely right. While the MD/PhD admissions process is designed to screen those kinds of applicants, in most cases it's a really bad idea to decide that it's the wrong program halfway through. You're going in for some serious frustration.

On the other hand, of the few people who do decide to drop out, the rule at Hopkins, for example, is that both degrees are ONLY granted together. That's the deal. Secondly, if you do decide to drop out, you have to pay for the remainder of your MD training. (I don't know if it works retroactively).

Sonic-- Thanks so much for the info. Congratulations again on being the first fully funded MD/PhD international student at Hopkins. That?s AWESOME!! I did research at Hopkins for my Masters, and it?s a GREAT place to be. Enjoy your experience to the fullest.

Best,
Jolly :)