This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marthersmani

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just wanted to make a post about anyone's experiences at any of these 3 programs. I've gotten into Johns Hopkins and Georgetown and I'm still waiting on UNC. A lot of the MHA posts on this site are a bit older and dated, so I was just hoping for anyone's more recent experiences and recommendations on these programs.

And if you attend or graduated from another MHA program, feel free to post about your experiences as well. I've had trouble finding recent information on any MHA programs so I'd love to hear any and all perspectives as I'm sure others would too. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello!

Congrats! As to your question, I do not have any concrete answers. But I did just get off the phone with the program coordinator of JHU's MHA program and she directed me to the program's ambassador, Slesha. She is a second year student, I believe. If you have any questions or concerns they are more than helpful (or at least the program coordinator is, still waiting on a response from Slesha haha).

Anyway, I was wondering if you can give me your opinion. You seem like a pretty knowledgeable and bright guy for getting into these programs, so figured it's worth a shot! I got into Brown's MPH program. They have a concentration in health services which is perfect, considering I do want to work in hc administration/consulting. I understand a master's in public health deals more with the community than the business side of healthcare. But do you think (with the concentration) it would still be a beneficial degree to attain? I know you may not be as familiar, but I need as much insight as possible. I do not want to make the wrong decision. I love the location of Brown and the course load is clearly not as intense as JHU. But Johns Hopkins on the other hand is a clearly a renown school and is known to have one of the top MHA programs--maybe I won't get in, and it will make my decision a whole lot easier haha!

I submitted my application early January by the way, and I am shocked I still haven't received a reply! My friend got her rejection letter only a month later and we applied the same time....I wonder what the wait is. Anyway, I am getting off topic.

I hope this helps! If you need any of the contact information let me know!

Hello!

Congrats! As to your question, I do not have any concrete answers. But I did just get off the phone with the program coordinator of JHU's MHA program and she directed me to the program's ambassador, Slesha. She is a second year student, I believe. If you have any questions or concerns they are more than helpful (or at least the program coordinator is, still waiting on a response from Slesha haha).

Anyway, I was wondering if you can give me your opinion. You seem like a pretty knowledgeable and bright guy for getting into these programs, so figured it's worth a shot! I got into Brown's MPH program. They have a concentration in health services which is perfect, considering I do want to work in hc administration/consulting. I understand a master's in public health deals more with the community than the business side of healthcare. But do you think (with the concentration) it would still be a beneficial degree to attain? I know you may not be as familiar, but I need as much insight as possible. I do not want to make the wrong decision. I love the location of Brown and the course load is clearly not as intense as JHU. But Johns Hopkins on the other hand is a clearly a renown school and is known to have one of the top MHA programs--maybe I won't get in, and it will make my decision a whole lot easier haha!

I submitted my application early January by the way, and I am shocked I still haven't received a reply! My friend got her rejection letter only a month later and we applied the same time....I wonder what the wait is. Anyway, I am getting off topic.

I hope this helps! If you need any of the contact information let me know!

Hi Deanna! I actually just ended up accepting my Johns Hopkins offer of admission. Everything about the program was exactly what I was looking for. The professors seemed great, the upper students when I visited were incredibly bright and willing to help, the connections with the program are great, and I also really like how they emphasized that everything you learn in the classroom is actual practical material that will prepare you for your career. Plus I like the 1 year accelerated classes. Overall the program seems to prepare you very well if you're looking to go into either a managerial role in a hospital/healthcare setting, or if you are looking to join a consulting firm.

As far as MPH programs go, I can just tell you generally what I know since they aren't what I looked into as much. But yeah, from what I understand they are more community based rather than business based. The health services concentration sounds like it could be very applicable but I'm not personally that knowledgable about it. From what I've heard, if you are sure that you want to do healthcare administration/consulting the MHA route is typically more applicable. But I have also heard that MPH programs can prepare you really well for healthcare consulting (probably less so for administrative roles). Brown is obviously a good program though and I'm sure you'd have opportunities when you graduate. I'd suggest talking to one of the admissions directors or prior students of the program and illustrating your concerns. Also, when I was looking at programs (including some MPH ones) I tried asking the directors for employment statistics on where most students end up. If you see a good amount of students going into consulting/hc administration then you should be good! You can also peek at alumni linkedin from the program and see where they've ended up and see if they match where you'd want to be.

Hope this helped a bit! If you want to ask me anything more please feel free

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Again! Sorry for the late response. I just saw this. I appreciate your feedback. I am definitely going to take into consideration everything you have said--I am a nervous wreck. But I am so glad you finally made a decision; you will definitely be in good hands with JHU!

By the way, I ended up calling the admissions office once more and apparently they sent my decision in late January. They said there must have been a glitch in the system when they were sending out emails and it looks like they have sent out many emails afterward. They tried resending my decision letter again, but it of course still didn't work. Just my luck! So, I am now waiting on a response from the assistant director. All I want is to know whether I was rejected or accepted. This is giving anxiety and quite frustrating. Oh well, I guess. Again, thank you!!!!!