John's Hopkins MHS vs. MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frali

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am considering either the MPH or MHS (Master's of Health Sciences) from John's Hopkins. What is the difference between the two programs? Is anyone here pursuing an MHS from JHSPH? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I considered the MSH from Hopkins for a while - you need at least two years of experience to get the MPH from there, which I don't have - but in the end decided that an MPH from a different school would be a better career move. Don't get too caught up in the rankings, there are schools like UWash, UMich, Columbia, and Emory where you can get a great education and an MPH.

MHS sounds interesting, but I haven't heard of anybody who has one. What does an MHS entail and what kind of career outcomes can you get by completing it?

Members don't see this ad :)
My impression is that the MHS is geared towards people who do not yet have 2 years of work experience, and who want to be on the research track. The MPH is more for people who have a decent amount of work experience and may want to go into the applied sciences, for example working at an international NGO, though there are plenty of tracks for research as well.

MPH - professional degree

MHS - research/academia

I know those are broad brush strokes I'm painting there but that's pretty much it. Johns Hopkins is just one of those schools where you really need the experience to be in the running for an MPH. If someone doesn't have the experience but still wants an MPH, I wouldn't "settle" for an MHS just cause it's Johns Hopkins. Other great schools will take you.

Thanks for the information everyone! I'm definitely not interested in doing research or working in acadamia, so I will probably not apply for the MHS. I just figured rankings would make JHSPH a better option regardless of the degree type.

JHSPH also offers an MHA as part of its MHS degrees. I am planning to apply for that since it gives you more practical work experience (second year is an 11-month full-time paid job experience program where you work for an organization's management team). The MHA seems pretty interesting. The deadline is Feb 1 though. Has anyone thought about an MHA?

Let me preface this by saying that I HATE these discussions! All the info you need about the MHS/MPH distinction at Hopkins is available here:
http://www.jhsph.edu/academics/academicprograms/masters/
The MHS *IS* a professional, final degree for some tracks at Hopkins, as is the MHA. There are "academic" and "professional" MHS degrees. At some schools, an MHS is research-intensive, but they are much more common at Hopkins and Harvard. You are NOT "settling" for an MHS instead of an MPH - it is an arbitrary distinction in this case (although I recognize that that is not the case at all schools). Either way, it is a Masters from a school of public health, and you can get the same jobs - just look at job postings in the field you are interested in. They will almost always say something like "MBA, MPH, or equivalent"! I also firmly believe that you should go to the best school possible, and the caliber of your school WILL matter to future employers!

PM me for more Hopkins info!

Reactions: 1 user
I also firmly believe that you should go to the best school possible, and the caliber of your school WILL matter to future employers!

Agreed - and an MPH from Hopkins is one of the best degrees in healthcare.

I am a second year MHS at JHSPH. I would HIGHLY recommend MHS over MPH. The classes at Hopkins are already really rushed, third and fourth term end up being really crammed for the MPH-ers...to the detriment of your education, I think.

As far as the 2 years of experience, if you are fresh out of college, then yeah, you want to go for the MHS. You get the longer experience of a practicum. It depends on what you are studying, of course. But in a lot of departments, you can just apply directly for PhD. I WISH i had done that, oh well, I am applying now.

Oh, and if you don't get a dime from the school, the cost ends up being about the same for the one year MPH vs MHS (because we have a 75% tuition scholarship once we pass comps at the end of first year automatically).

PM me if you want any info...i won't discuss specific depts on the boards, for obvious reasons

Specifically, the MPH (from any school) should be undertaken after working several years as an attending.

Good day,
pls need more info as regards MPH and MHS (MHA)
thanks in anticipation.
cheers.

PM me if you want any info...i won't discuss specific depts on the boards, for obvious reasons

Does anyone have any information about MHS rankings? I can't even find a list of MHS degree granting programs in the States-I'm probably not looking in the right places. But if anyone knows, could you please post the information. Is there even a separate ranking or do you just go by the ranking for the School of Public Health the MHS degree is granted from?

Thank you!!

From what I've read, an MHS sounds like an excellent option. It is more focused than an MPH, and at Johns Hopkins you have many more outside-of-class opportunities than at other schools, like Yale. I don't agree with the idea that an MPH from a lesser school is better than an MHS from JHSPH.

I'm thinking about the same thing as well. I have been accepted into a public health graduate program, so I know for sure I'm heading to school for Fall 2009... except afterwards I'm planning to apply for medical school after getting a Master's in public health. Except, Johns Hopkins has always been my #1 choice but I applied to their MHS program. If I plan to get an MD in the future, is it better to get an MPH or does it not matter if my title later becomes "MD/MHS"?

I guess not, good link... Lol. Seriously though, thanks also for the link I had the same question as hare also wins..