Johns Hopkins MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghanabeadoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm 4 years post-bacc hoping to go to medical school. i have a huge interest in global health and about 1 full year travel experience to prove it, including 6 months in africa volunteering part-time at a usaid funded program. 3.6 cumulative gpa, 32 mcat, no gre. i have a BA in history from top university.

i was wondering what likelihood it is to be accepted to johns hopkins mph program as someone also looking for an md. is this a realistic approach or are they focused on getting their md applicants from ones already enrolled in programs? and if you're up for a truth-bashing session, what do you think my chances are based on stats alone?

also i wanted to know if anyone could elaborate on pros/cons of their program after having learned more about it first hand? there are a bunch of outdated threads, but was hoping for some more recent ones. thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

i'm 4 years post-bacc hoping to go to medical school. i have a huge interest in global health and about 1 full year travel experience to prove it, including 6 months in africa volunteering part-time at a usaid funded program. 3.6 cumulative gpa, 32 mcat, no gre. i have a BA in history from top university.

i was wondering what likelihood it is to be accepted to johns hopkins mph program as someone also looking for an md. is this a realistic approach or are they focused on getting their md applicants from ones already enrolled in programs? and if you're up for a truth-bashing session, what do you think my chances are based on stats alone?

also i wanted to know if anyone could elaborate on pros/cons of their program after having learned more about it first hand? there are a bunch of outdated threads, but was hoping for some more recent ones. thanks so much!

Define "huge interest." If your end game is to be an MD and you think an MPH helps make you a better candidate, then just save yourself a lot of cash and apply/go to medical school. I think an MPH is an expensive stepping stone, doesn't come with a guarantee of admission to a medical school, and the stuff you learn is overkill for your day-to-day clinical life. If you really want to make a career out of public/global health, then I think it's worth the MPH because you are acquiring skills that are supposed to help advance your career (and the question becomes, MPH before or after medical school).

Stats are fine for admission. I would check that the program/concentration at Bloomberg accepts the MCAT.
http://www.jhsph.edu/admissions/application-requirements/13-14-jhsph-apprequirements.pdf

Stats aren't really any problem here, but I just want to deviate a bit and call attention to the financial issues. If you're post-bac, you're probably already spending additional tuition dollars beyond the BA. The MPH is expensive everywhere, Hopkins is no exception. The MPH will not help you get into med school and it will not help you get into residency. Medical school is obviously expensive. Finally global health, even as a doctor, pays extremely poorly compared to being a doctor in a conventional domestic sense. I don't see you paying down the loans from a BA + postbac + MPH + med school on the salary of a global health doc ...

What we are seeing more and more is that positions in global health which require an MD are being filled by local nationals of the country who generally get their medical education for cheap at the local national university and then do their MPH at hopkins, harvard, LSTHM, or another top US school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear friends
I am unable to find any "signature Page" in JHU application form.After paying the application fee of 45$, I m in a fix about how to submit my application.Any Help!!