Johns Hopkins MS in biotech worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skylark

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i applied to some postbacc/masters program and heard back from Johns Hopkins MS in biotechnology. There was a student here who did it and is now at Nova i think, but i cant get a hold of him since he has been inactive on sdn.

But since he is only a single case, i was wondering if anyone else has done this program, what they think of it, and if they know it helps one get into dental school. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

so i applied to some postbacc/masters program and heard back from Johns Hopkins MS in biotechnology. There was a student here who did it and is now at Nova i think, but i cant get a hold of him since he has been inactive on sdn.

But since he is only a single case, i was wondering if anyone else has done this program, what they think of it, and if they know it helps one get into dental school. thanks!

Johns Hopkins has it's GREAT name... do it! How much $$ do you have to pay for this program?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the replies, but i was wanting to know SPECIFICALLY about Hopkins. if anyone did the program and knows someone who has, please chime in!

Skylark, PM me with your questions...

I was considering this too. Seems nice because it's offered online. Anyone?

Thanks for starting this thread, I heard from them too but wondering how good it is and if it really helps you get in to dental school, and if i can do it in one year while waiting for dental school decision.
Any advice?

I have heard of it too, through another program and I did talk to the Admin of the program about it.

Seems pretty reasonably priced by my calculations and only requires 10 classes. also the classes are pretty tough bio ones! so will look great if you do well

Yes, the courses are VERY difficult bio courses! Don't think it's going to be easy, but if you put in the work, it will pay off!

The cost issue is totally up to you. I looked at it as an investment in my future (much like undergrad was and dental school will be). That doesn't negate the fact that it costs nearly $30k.

Best of luck to you all!

Hey LNinlove,

did you or are you currently in the program? Also it says you can take all the courses online, how is that done? DO you watch a video of the professor giving the lectures? Also will it show up on your transcript that you took the classes online verse if you did it on campus? Thanks

I was in the online program. It will show up on your transcript as online for sure! I took two courses and the way they were delivered was a recording of the prof's voice and a powerpoint being gone through with the prof making notes on the powerpoint as they go, with the mouse as a highlighter or pen. In one class we had a presentation to give, which we prepared it just like we were actually going to present it, but didn't actually present it. We included our notes and everything. There were online discussions to keep us going weekly, and around 3 tests/semester/class.

Hmm wonder how schools will look at the fact that the classes are taken online. Oh well, if I did the program, I would probably do it at JHS and try to find a job in a lab there somewhere.

Did your two classes help u get into dental or med school? i'm just curious as to why you did the program. Also, how are the tests given when you do it online? What is to prevent u from cheating??

At my school (UMaryland) there are at least two students from that program (one D2 and one D3). That's as much as I know!
-Cyrus

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm wonder how schools will look at the fact that the classes are taken online. Oh well, if I did the program, I would probably do it at JHS and try to find a job in a lab there somewhere.

Did your two classes help u get into dental or med school? i'm just curious as to why you did the program. Also, how are the tests given when you do it online? What is to prevent u from cheating??

They aren't pre-reqs, so I don't know how much the schools care. They may care a whole lot or a little, it may depend on the school. Best thing to do is call the schools you are applying to. That's what I did and the few that I called said no problem with the online stuff, as long as they aren't pre-reqs.

I can't say if the two classes got me in or not. I wasn't even done with the classes when I was accepted, so they had no way of knowing if I was failing or not. I was accepted December 1st. I started the program (but will not finish it) to help boost my science GPA.

One class I took had open book exams, while the other one had closed book exams. They were both taken on the computer at home, no proctor. The strength of the program goes off of your word, so just be honest. Much like when we were shadowing and doing all of that volunteer work. The schools didn't require us to verify, but again we are required to be honest.

There are others on here that took the program at the school. They were accepted to dental programs as well. It's an awesome program if you can stomach the price tag, but I guess a lot of the master's programs are pricey.

Best of luck.

Do you have to have a full-time job to be eligible for Hopkins? I did some research and that's what it looks like. Also, do you have to take the GRE? Thanks!

Do you have to have a full-time job to be eligible for Hopkins? I did some research and that's what it looks like. Also, do you have to take the GRE? Thanks!

GRE is not req. and all applicants are accepted, this is a crazy expensive program, many of my friends are in it and they wonder what they are doing there, some have finished the program and others are 1/2 way through, they all regret doing it.

@wantVCUdental: really? what did your friends not like about it (other than the expenses)?

this might be helpful for those making the decision or will search up this thread for next year.

I am interning at Hopkins right now. I know couple lab mates doing the Biotech program here. They said that the program is very expensive, even though, they work here and the tuition remission is not enough to cover the cost. Secondly, most classes are offered in the evenings or hybrid courses. I suggest NO if you are coming from out of state school. The program is geared more towards non-traditional students and its two year program.

Would this program look just as good as a SMP or a Masters in Medical Science? I am looking at the courses and they definitely seem to resemble courses that will be taken in dental school so would probably be valuable in preparing one for dental school. Comments anyone?

Would this program look just as good as a SMP or a Masters in Medical Science? I am looking at the courses and they definitely seem to resemble courses that will be taken in dental school so would probably be valuable in preparing one for dental school. Comments anyone?

The program is valuable. When someone hears Hopkins name. You should go for it if you can afford the tuition.

I know someone who attended their orientation meeting this year. She said that everyone was asked the question, "why are you here?" Everyone answered, "as a stepping stone to medical school." So I guess they target those who wants to prove themselves in preparation for a career in a health field.

My friend just finished the first year of the program (it's 2), and she is very convinced that it will help her get into medical school. She does not know of any linkages or success stories from people int his biotechnology masters program, but hopefully it will work out for her. As for tuition, it's $3000+ per class, and it's around 10-12 classes.

Look into the USAMRIID- Hopkins fellowship program. You work as a civilian employee in the field of infectious disease, earn approx 32K per year, and your tuition is free. There is no commitment afterwards either. Pm me if you have further questions.

Hi all, I was just accepted to the ms in biotech at JHU and am trying to make a decision. I wanted to do a SMP but was not accepted to their "pre-med" masters program...just wondering if anyone could get back to me with more specifics on if this program is really helpful for med schools or not...thanks!!

Hi all, I was just accepted to the ms in biotech at JHU and am trying to make a decision. I wanted to do a SMP but was not accepted to their "pre-med" masters program...just wondering if anyone could get back to me with more specifics on if this program is really helpful for med schools or not...thanks!!
Hi Pinky642, did you pursue the MS in Biotechnology? If so, how are things going, and do you feel your prospects for medical school are greater?

I have not really made a decision yet...I have been trying to do more research on this program and med school...but haven't found too much, which is why I'm thinking that's not a good thing! Let me know if you hear anything...I'm still waiting to hear back from a couple other schools, they have a "deal" where you get a certain GPA in their SMP and they grant you an automatic interview to their med school...I feel a lot more comfortable with that arrangement than a school that does not guarantee anything...

So this thread is a bit old but I am also thinking about this program. My ultimate education goal is to attend/complete a MD/PhD program. I am currently working as a lab tech at MIT and I'm wondering if I could do this program online part time while continuing to get research experience at my current job. When are the online classes usually held and do they need to be attended at the time they are broadcast (via skype or some other program) or can they be viewed later?

Necros a predental thread to seek advice for MD pathway...lol

I would say start a new thread on the med forums...they'll give you better answers.

Just got accepted for those who completed the program, would you recommend it?

I know this thread is old but did you end up going to hopkins and did it help you get into dental school?

Can some one who went here share your experience? How long did it take you to hear back from john hopkins when you applied? Did you end up going? How long it too you to complete the program? Did you retake MCAT after the program?