Johns Hopkins MSPH in Population, Family, Reproductive Health vs Emory University Global Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brick05

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have gotten into two excellent programs and am stuck deciding. I am currently working as a consultant in Kenya and won't be able to attend accepted student day or visit campus before the fall. I got into Johns Hopkins MSPH in Population, Family and Reproductive Health and Emory University's MPH in Global Health. I was set on Johns Hopkins but after working abroad and reading people's praises about Emory, I am starting to think that I would rather go to Emory.

At the time I submitted my application I was set on studying women's health/reproductive health/family health in developing communities. Particularly, I was interested in the socio-cultural determinants of women's health and increasing access to health services to women and girls. I wanted to work in international development, and still do (CHAI, PSI, PATH, etc.). However, working abroad in East Africa has led me to become more interested in NCD prevention and health communications and promotion. I thought I knew what I wanted to do, but now I'm not so sure.

A little background for ya: I'm a Fulbright Scholar from NY. My scholarship involved running HIV/AIDS programs for women in Kenya for 10 months. I am now working as an operations consultant for a health management solutions company here in Kenya and implementing a project to increase access to affordable medication.

So, I will have to make my decision here from Kenya and any input/insight would be incredibly helpful and appreciated. People keep telling me to go to JHU because its number one, but that doesn't feel quite right to me. I would love to hear what you have to say about either program or school. Thank you thank you thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

I have gotten into two excellent programs and am stuck deciding. I am currently working as a consultant in Kenya and won't be able to attend accepted student day or visit campus before the fall. I got into Johns Hopkins MSPH in Population, Family and Reproductive Health and Emory University's MPH in Global Health. I was set on Johns Hopkins but after working abroad and reading people's praises about Emory, I am starting to think that I would rather go to Emory. I am intrigued by Emory University- I get the sense that it is a warmer, more welcoming environment, maybe not as nose to the grind as Johns Hopkins (correct me if im wrong), and that there are a plethora of opportunities for international research and involvement within the community.

At the time I submitted my application I was set on studying women's health/reproductive health/family health in developing communities. Particularly, I was interested in the socio-cultural determinants of women's health and increasing access to health services to women and girls. I wanted to work in international development, and still do (CHAI, PSI, PATH, etc.). However, working abroad in East Africa has led me to become more interested in NCD prevention and health communications and promotion. I thought I knew what I wanted to do, but now I'm not so sure.

A little background for ya: I'm a Fulbright Scholar from NY. My scholarship involved running HIV/AIDS programs for women in Kenya for 10 months. I am now working as an operations consultant for a health management solutions company here in Kenya and implementing a project to increase access to affordable medication.

Another tidbit: I want to keep my social life runnin' while working hard toward my MPH/MSPH. I like hiking, throwing parties, trying new cuisines, exploring cities, going out to bars occasionally, etc.

So, I will have to make my decision here from Kenya and any input/insight would be incredibly helpful and appreciated. People keep telling me to go to JHU because its number one, but that doesn't feel quite right to me. I would love to hear what you have to say about either program or school. Thank you thank you thank you!!

I am literally in the same dilemma and have the same exact interests as you (also from New York woo).

There are some pros I’ve listed for both related to my interests, which may help (or make things more difficult ha ha):

JHU: Courses are more application-based, 30-45 mins away from DC, entire second year is basically your field placement (check out where previous students have gone), an entire department dedicated to family and women’s health, so easier to find your niche research and work, professors seem happy to take on students RAs (research focus)

Emory: Seems to be very warm/community centered and a little more laid back, full two years of coursework so you’re not stuffing everything into a quarter-based year, REAL program allows you to pay off loans while gaining direct public health experience, GEMMA grants for global projects in women’s health, good global health connections for field placements, close to CDC if you’re into that

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I know next to nothing about either program, but from the way you've written out your dilemma, I think you should choose Emory. It seems to me like that's where your heart is, and the biggest factor making you question your choice is other people's opinions on JHU's reputation. If you're not quite sure on what you want to do, it might be a good idea to choose the longer program to give yourself more time to explore your options and maybe build a broader skill set. I'm personally very happy that I did. I went into my MPH hoping to get out fast and get a nonprofit job in community health, but pretty quickly into my first semester, I realized I want a PhD. I'm glad I have 3 more semesters and a summer to build my CV up with support from professors, advisers, and an academic community.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users