Johns Hopkins secondary = horrible

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlwebb

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's the AMCAS all over again. Definitely the worst secondary so far. Plus no screening at all. Anybody had a worse one?

By the way, I got their viewbook and was pretty annoyed by all the broad generalizations and aggrandizement. I guess I hoped for a more balanced look.

Members don't see this ad.

aggrandizement???????

I guess that's why I'm not applying to Johns Hopkins.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who wants to hurt themselves that much to live in south baltimore for 4 years.

somemaybedoc said:

I know...but it's Johns Hopkins, baby!!!!! :cool:

somemaybedoc said:

k.

baylormed said:
I know...but it's Johns Hopkins, baby!!!!! :cool:

I guess that's what seperates a gunner from me. The willingness to increase one's risk of being gunned.

somemaybedoc said:
I guess that's what seperates a gunner from me. The willingness to increase one's risk of being gunned.

:confused: If that were true, no one would go to JH. As far as I know, people graduate from there alive and with a good education. :love:

baylormed said:
:confused: If that were true, no one would go to JH. As far as I know, people graduate from there alive and with a good education. :love:

Hey its just a risk, I lived in Baltimore for a time, the level I adult trauma center in baltimore is at U of M, I volunteered there and we saw disproportionate number of GSW's from the south baltimore area. So I guess I've stigmatized the area a bit, perhaps unfairly.

You never mentioned what was wrong with the secondary. While it wasn't the most exciting thing to write about 'why I chose my major', i think is totally worth the effort to go to Hopkins.

Like Baylormed said "it's Johns Hopkins, baby!!!!!"

btw,Duke and UCDavis are far worse.

somemaybedoc said:

It's actually worse than that...it's east Baltimore (read the ghettoest place on earth)

But it is Hopkins, I mean...the ghetto could be fun... :oops:

LatinoMasFino said:
It's actually worse than that...it's east Baltimore (read the ghettoest place on earth)

But it is Hopkins, I mean...the ghetto could be fun... :oops:

Of course the ghetto is fun. Why else would my school come together for the big block party that is "Ghetto Fest" every spring?

Aside from all that, the Hopkins secondary really is not too bad.

It is in East Baltimore and while the surrounding area is a ghetto, the medical campus itself is not that bad (lots of security, lots of people, lots of traffic, etc). Also, the shuttle system is superb so it isn't like you really have to walk in the ghetto too much to get to your car (which should be in one of the many surrounding garages or to get to your place elsewhere in Baltimore without having to drive). Really, even walking in the ghetto area in the daytime isn't that bad because people living there are used to the medical crowd and they're not going to bother you. Nighttime, if you're by yourself and you look out of place, you might get mugged but that's about it (just like any other major city). Really, East Baltimore isn't THAT bad -- just mind your surroundings, don't be a jerk to the people living in the ghetto and always carry yourself like a man. I've walked through the ghetto many times because my friend lives six blocks away from the medical campus and after going out drinking with him, I sometimes try to catch the shuttle back to where I live.

West Baltimore is a helluva lot worse and I consider it to be more dangerous than East Baltimore (most of the shootings in East Baltimore are drug dealers vs. drug dealers, for instance -- unless you guys do that, you don't have that much to worry about).

My point is, if you go to Hopkins, you really shouldn't worry about your safety that much. Hopkins is very image-conscious and they want to protect their intellectuals, so their security force is like a quasi-police force and their shuttle system is very reliable and quick.

I like Baltimore a lot myself. Sure there's a lot of shady areas and a lot of poverty, but you usually don't get bothered, especially in the daytime... and the good areas are a lot of fun to hang out in. Just know where to go and when, and you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
defrunner said:
It is in East Baltimore and while the surrounding area is a ghetto, the medical campus itself is not that bad (lots of security, lots of people, lots of traffic, etc). Also, the shuttle system is superb so it isn't like you really have to walk in the ghetto too much to get to your car (which should be in one of the many surrounding garages or to get to your place elsewhere in Baltimore without having to drive). Really, even walking in the ghetto area in the daytime isn't that bad because people living there are used to the medical crowd and they're not going to bother you. Nighttime, if you're by yourself and you look out of place, you might get mugged but that's about it (just like any other major city). Really, East Baltimore isn't THAT bad -- just mind your surroundings, don't be a jerk to the people living in the ghetto and always carry yourself like a man. I've walked through the ghetto many times because my friend lives six blocks away from the medical campus and after going out drinking with him, I sometimes try to catch the shuttle back to where I live.

West Baltimore is a helluva lot worse and I consider it to be more dangerous than East Baltimore (most of the shootings in East Baltimore are drug dealers vs. drug dealers, for instance -- unless you guys do that, you don't have that much to worry about).

My point is, if you go to Hopkins, you really shouldn't worry about your safety that much. Hopkins is very image-conscious and they want to protect their intellectuals, so their security force is like a quasi-police force and their shuttle system is very reliable and quick.

I like Baltimore a lot myself. Sure there's a lot of shady areas and a lot of poverty, but you usually don't get bothered, especially in the daytime... and the good areas are a lot of fun to hang out in. Just know where to go and when, and you'll be fine.

I like Baltimore overall. Hopkins is not the worst place to be, but not the best either. I moved from LA, so the area itself around Hopkins is like USC, just with tons of security around. My car has been robbed twice in LA (once at USC and once in Beverly Hills!!!), not once here. I have volunteered in "bad" neighborhoods, drove there, parked, etc (I am a skinny 25 yo white girl, not a body builder). and I did not feel scared and people were very nice around.

Yes, there is drug problem, there is TB and AIDS, but are we there to help or ignore? I understaznd it is nice to have a school/hspital in the richest and most upscale neighborhood, but is it fair to people who most need the services? They do not drive and do not have insurance (if they do it is medicaid), so the teaching hospital is the only place for them to go...

FYI: if you are not ready to deal with "gheto" then do not come here and let people who want to come take your interview spot!

I assume you haven't yet seen Columbia's and Duke's secondaries. Nor Vanderbilt's and UCSD's.

When I applied (last year), Columbia literally had you redo the AMCAS because they were still in their transition from their non-AMCAS days. That meant re-typing every class you took, etc. Vandy and UCSD had too much "tell us your whole life story" and Duke was just ridiculously long.

I do agree with the person who thought the JHU viewbook was too self-aggrandizing. I was actually put off by it; when you come to interview, though, there's none of that "The Hopkins name is all you need" crap.

Yeah I didn't think the secondary was that bad either... Definitely nowhere close to the AMCAS.

baylormed said:

Fact or aggrandization?

rlwebb said:
It's the AMCAS all over again. Definitely the worst secondary so far. Plus no screening at all. Anybody had a worse one?

By the way, I got their viewbook and was pretty annoyed by all the broad generalizations and aggrandizement. I guess I hoped for a more balanced look.

I think Hopkins deserves to aggrandize. Plus the Georgetown secondary is worse. Sorry, but I can't write a whole page on why I want to go to georgetown. I could on Hopkins though. It's HOPKINS!!!

Just finishing up my Johns Hopkins secondary right now. In their "Other activities and interests" section:

Activity: Hiking
Position Held: The summit of a mountain

Yes, I'm putting that. I don't think Hopkins' secondary is bad at all, but I do find the strict forms they make you use for these things annoying. The format so often doesn't work.

Looque said:
Just finishing up my Johns Hopkins secondary right now. In their "Other activities and interests" section:

Activity: Hiking
Position Held: The summit of a mountain

Yes, I'm putting that. I don't think Hopkins' secondary is bad at all, but I do find the strict forms they make you use for these things annoying. The format so often doesn't work.

You're my hero. :thumbup:

Severus said:
Hopkins wasn't too bad. Columbia is killing me, though. :eek:

I'm glad I dropped that one from my list in exchange for NYU's no-essay secondary.

I just copied and pasted essays written for other secondaries into the application last year. I think I even forgot to change the school name on one the them. Thats probably why I didn't get in...

Centinel said:
I assume you haven't yet seen Columbia's and Duke's secondaries. Nor Vanderbilt's and UCSD's.

When I applied (last year), Columbia literally had you redo the AMCAS because they were still in their transition from their non-AMCAS days. That meant re-typing every class you took, etc. Vandy and UCSD had too much "tell us your whole life story" and Duke was just ridiculously long.

I do agree with the person who thought the JHU viewbook was too self-aggrandizing. I was actually put off by it; when you come to interview, though, there's none of that "The Hopkins name is all you need" crap.

I don't remember doing that... I called and i THINK they told me not to do it because of the transition and whatnot.

...aren't you going to Columbia next year? I thought I saw it on another thread.

Looque said:
I'm glad I dropped that one from my list in exchange for NYU's no-essay secondary.

Yeah, I half wish I would/could. If I didn't really, really like Columbia, I'd toss that secondary straight in the trash.

Thus far, Penn's been my fav secondary. :cool:

Severus said:
Yeah, I half wish I would/could. If I didn't really, really like Columbia, I'd toss that secondary straight in the trash.

Thus far, Penn's been my fav secondary. :cool:

Penn, Harvard, and NYU have all been fantastic for the same reason. However, I actually kind of enjoyed Pitt's secondary prompts.

Looque said:
Penn, Harvard, and NYU have all been fantastic for the same reason. However, I actually kind of enjoyed Pitt's secondary prompts.

Columbia is NOT bad...I don't know what you guys are talking about. It took me 2 days to finish it, and I wrote the essay in 1.

baylormed said:
Columbia is NOT bad...I don't know what you guys are talking about. It took me 2 days to finish it, and I wrote the essay in 1.

I haven't even seen it. I'm only responding to the word on the street.

Looque said:
I haven't even seen it. I'm only responding to the word on the street.

Yes, it isn't bad at all...it asks you to list your volunteering, ec's, and honors again, but you can just copy and paste from AMCAS, it's just a list separated by commas.

The only essay prompt is "What satisfactions do you expect to receive from you activities as a physician?", w/ a limit of 2400 characters...a little more than half a page.

And columbia is nice to FAP people and waives the $75 fee for them.

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
I don't remember doing that... I called and i THINK they told me not to do it because of the transition and whatnot.

...aren't you going to Columbia next year? I thought I saw it on another thread.
Tobias,

I did get in there, but I ended up deciding on Hopkins. You see, I felt that Washington Heights was just too tame. My chance of survival was too high. I'm from the streets of New Haven; Baltimore doesn't scare me.

I really didn't think the Hopkins secondary was that bad...the Duke one was way worse. The Hopkins secondary was kind of long, but the questions were pretty easy (relatively speaking), and set you up to set yourself apart in a good way. The Duke one seems to be designed to set you on a tee, from which the interviewer could bash you in any number of directions (although that did not end up happening, and the people at Duke were really nice).