Johns Hopkins Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KB.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any info on Hopkins' waitlist. Such as how many people are on it and how many people (on average) are ultimately accepted from it. I'm on the upper portion of the list - but I know the chances are not great.

Thanks for the info

Members don't see this ad.

I just spoke with Paul White the other day. He said that they are going to the alternate list soon.

Hi,
I got a letter saying I was on the lower end of the waitlist. Is this Johns Hopkins' euphemism for a rejection? Is there any hope at all of moving off the waitlist if I have an update of activities and such?

Someone with the exact same grades, MCAT, and many of the same activities as I got accepted (and I'm very happy for her) but I was low-end waitlisted. Any chances for me?

What if I send an additional rec letter? What can I do?

Does JH med even send out rejections or is what I got pretty much it?:(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any info on Hopkins' waitlist. Such as how many people are on it and how many people (on average) are ultimately accepted from it. I'm on the upper portion of the list - but I know the chances are not great.

Thanks for the info
i think they take about 40 students each year from the upper waitlist, so the chances aren't horrible.

I got into an amazing one-year program, so I'd like to defer med school admission for a year. My top choice is Hopkins, but I'm on the lower waitlist. Should I tell admissions committee about my plan? It's a scholarship program and a very big deal. it could even help me get into med school.

It's not possible for me to apply again next year, because I would have to throw away an acceptance at a great school that I already have.

Should I write a letter of intent and just talk about my plans for next year? and basically ask to be accepted but let them know that if I'm accepted I will be deferring for a year?

This is so really weird. Hope to hear your views...

I got into an amazing one-year program, so I'd like to defer med school admission for a year. My top choice is Hopkins, but I'm on the lower waitlist. Should I tell admissions committee about my plan? It's a scholarship program and a very big deal. it could even help me get into med school.

It's not possible for me to apply again next year, because I would have to throw away an acceptance at a great school that I already have.

Should I write a letter of intent and just talk about my plans for next year? and basically ask to be accepted but let them know that if I'm accepted I will be deferring for a year?

This is so really weird. Hope to hear your views...

I wouldn't tell them anything till after you've been accepted...

how do you know where you lie on the waitlist?

my letter from back in november states that im on the alternate list... though i have no idea how high on the list i am?

how were you all informed of your position on the waitlist? i thought they weren't specifying location on the waitlist until april?

Hey folks,

A good percentage of the people in my class got in off of the waitlist ("alternate list"). Unlike most schools nowadays, Hopkins traditionally accepts a cohort that is only slightly larger than the intended class size. Then, when people decide to attend another school, Hopkins goes to the waitlist.

To my knowledge, unfortunately, the low waitlist is the equivalent of a rejection from Hopkins. It's more of a waitlist in theory (if they somehow got through the entire high waitlist) than in practice.

my letter from back in november states that im on the alternate list... though i have no idea how high on the list i am?

how were you all informed of your position on the waitlist? i thought they weren't specifying location on the waitlist until april?
Stolen,

In the past, Hopkins hasn't given more information about where you lie on the waitlist than just alternate list vs low waitlist. The alternate list at Hopkins is a much more fortunate place to be than an alternate list elsewhere, because you will see movement.

I could be misinformed, but from what I understand:

alternate = high waitlist

waitlist = low waitlist = rejection

Holy crap I just noticed the first few posts were from years ago. wow.