Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3aliyah

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying to Hopkins?

Members don't see this ad.

Just FedEx'd my application today.

uuummm, i think many people are??? Sorry, had to be said! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Long time ago. Haven't heard a thing except for the app complete postcard.

I had asked because I'm not sure of its entering class stats - for those of you who applied, do you know what their entering class stats are? I have a 2002 book of med schools and the info isn't available.

Also I did read on their website that they think a reputable school has something to do with getting into a good residency (basically you can have your pick then) - is this true do you think? - it kinda goes against what everyone has been saying lately.... (i.e. a doc is a doc etc)

Originally posted by 3aliyah:
•I had asked because I'm not sure of its entering class stats - for those of you who applied, do you know what their entering class stats are? I have a 2002 book of med schools and the info isn't available.

Also I did read on their website that they think a reputable school has something to do with getting into a good residency (basically you can have your pick then) - is this true do you think? - it kinda goes against what everyone has been saying lately.... (i.e. a doc is a doc etc)•••

The stats are available on the US News site:

<a href="http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/beyond/gradrank/med/gdmedt1.htm" target="_blank">US News Rankings</a>

The school you go to does influence your ability to get into the residency program of your choice. However, it is far from true that if you go to a top school, you can "have your pick" of residency programs. Other factors, such as your class rank, dean's letter, USMLE scores, and chosen specialty are at least as important as the prestige of your medical school.

Originally posted by 3aliyah:

Also I did read on their website that they think a reputable school has something to do with getting into a good residency (basically you can have your pick then) - is this true do you think? - it kinda goes against what everyone has been saying lately.... (i.e. a doc is a doc etc)•••

well of course hopkins is going to say this on their own website!!! the reality is that applying for residencies is a lot like applying to med schools, in that the name of your school can help, but it's largely your individual efforts (grades/evaluations, test scores, recommendations, etc) that make the difference. just do well, wherever you go, and you'll be fine.