Joining a club but not actively participating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bellringer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I joined Habitat for Humanity at my campus last fall and haven't really been too involved. I've gone to a few meetings and participated in a painting project (about 3 hours). I would be more involved but it seems there is ALWAYS something coming up on the Saturdays they have planned for projects. My EC's are definitely the weak point of my resume so i kinda feel like i need any help i can get. Basically what i am trying to say is... in interviews will med schools specifically ask me how many hours/ projects i put in over the course of a year?

Members don't see this ad.

unlikely. but if it's on your app, they will almost definitely ask you why it was meaningful-- what new things did you experience? how did your work with the group inform your world view as well as your desire to go into medicine? do you have any interesting stories to tell?

if you will have trouble answering these questions, which i assume you will unless you can spin that painting project into a life-changing experience, i'd be wary of giving it a prominent place in your app. if you're going to include it, just be honest about your level of involvement. that's always a better idea than lying/exaggerating and getting caught.

You specify the degree of involvement on the Primary application "Experiences" section where you would list it under Community Service. There's a narrative portion where you can describe projects and report the number of hours on each, along with a contact person. I joined the same club and had the same problem. I ended up not including it at all, as it didn't seem sufficiently substantive.