Joining as a GMO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LDykstra

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to join any of the services directly as a GMO? I'm considering reentering medicine after voluntarily resigning from a PGY-2 position earlier this year. I've yet to take Step 3. My PGY-1 year was in Preliminary Internal Medicine at a mid-ranked large university hospital.

My PGY-2 program was fairly highly respected, but unfortunately due to a combination of fatigue, sleep deprivation, family issues across the country, and a desire to consider returning to a previous career, I felt I should resign. I'm now considering all of my options (grad school may be necessary to reenter my previous career). If able, I'm not sure if I'd want to reenter the same field in medicine, so I wouldn't mind a couple years of general practice in the meantime. I've been considering military service for some time and may consider enlisting in another field if I don't return to medicine. I appreciate any advice you guys may have.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you got burned out. Does it make sense to throw away all your training? Maybe you just need some time off.

If it is possible to join the military as a GMO I've never heard of it. I think you have to be in a residency program in good standing to join through the FAP program. GMOs are required to pass step 3 and be licensed.

Is it possible to join any of the services directly as a GMO? I'm considering reentering medicine after voluntarily resigning from a PGY-2 position earlier this year. I've yet to take Step 3. My PGY-1 year was in Preliminary Internal Medicine at a mid-ranked large university hospital.

My PGY-2 program was fairly highly respected, but unfortunately due to a combination of fatigue, sleep deprivation, family issues across the country, and a desire to consider returning to a previous career, I felt I should resign. I'm now considering all of my options (grad school may be necessary to reenter my previous career). If able, I'm not sure if I'd want to reenter the same field in medicine, so I wouldn't mind a couple years of general practice in the meantime. I've been considering military service for some time and may consider enlisting in another field if I don't return to medicine. I appreciate any advice you guys may have.

It is possible to join the Navy as a GMO, but you will have to pass Step 3 and obtain a license on one of the 50 states.

Members don't see this ad :)
You would have to pass step 3 and get an unrestricted license, at a minimum.

They would definitely look you over carefully (and they should), especially to be sure there were no ongoing medical causes for your resigning mid-year two. Be prepared to explain that. They will certainly want to know the resignation was not "forced", if you get my drift. If you have been under any mental health treatment, be prepared to provide records.

Thank you for the replies. At my time of leaving, my request was unprompted and caught my program by surprise. I was told I was in "good academic standing" and asked to reconsider my decision. I've never been under any mental health treatment.

I suppose my next question is about timing. The earliest I could take step 3 would be November. Then it'd take 2 months to get a score back and some time to get a licesnse approved. Would there be any use in talking to recruiters before passing step 3?

Which service would be best? It seems the Navy has the most GMOs. I may have just passed the age limit for the Air Force (would they consider a waiver?). Thanks again for the advice.