joining military

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kaos, Sep 13, 2002.

1. kaos

kaos Web Crawler

Resident [Any Field]
    A new subject! :clap:

Ok, so nobody goes to the financial aid forum. That's ok! I'm considering doing that military Health Professions whatever it's called thing as a med school scholarship. Does anybody know where I can find info on this? Anybody doing it now? Pointers?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    this topic has be done in the past few weeks i think. try a search, the acronym you want is "HPSP" :)

my advisor, air force captain, says the rank of competitiveness (and desirability) goes from least to greatest navy->army->air force. navy apparently always has lots of open spots cause people are deterred by maybe having to break up their residency by spending a year at sea, and they have pulled docs/residents/med students out if they need "warm bodies" during wartime. divorce rates and other family problems are also highest in the navy. air force is supposedly very lax (trust me, he's not a soldier looking type). but there's more out there on this

4. kaos

kaos Web Crawler

Resident [Any Field]
    LOL :laugh:

Thanks!! That's the name, no wonder I couldn't find it...I'm so dumb. Thanks!

5. the time commitment is pretty daunting for the military

6. Lt. Ub

Lt. Ub Senior Member

Oh to be so young....to think 4 years is a long time.

7. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member

When you're 22, 4 extra years is a long time. People go to residency after their 4 years of military service after med school, right? So that's being delayed 4 years too?...

-RA

8. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    4 years of.....
    working for uncle sam, in a possibly unfavorable position, with all debt forgiven, or.....

working your *ss off at 100K a year, with taxes, malpractice insurance, living expenses (might have a family already) and 150K in student loans......

pick your poison