Joining the military, Dental requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unmanedpilot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive been looking for answers to this for awhile and figure its about time I just as a military dentist.

Right now I am planning on joining the Air Force as an Air Traffic Controller and have some dental issues that I'm afraid may disqualify me from the military.

So here's a brief history. I'm 19 and I've grown up with a lot of soda (see where I'm going?) and to make matters worse I decided to rebel against my parents by not brushing my teeth very often (I sure showed them!! :rolleyes:) Now of course I'm paying for it.

The problem with my teeth is that Ive worn away the enamel on the upper half of most of my upper front teeth. The Dentine is still intact and it causes no pain, and it hasn't effected my talking or eating. From what I have been able to find about the military medical standards is that any conditions must not interfere with speech (for Air Traffic Control) or eating.

I want to get this fixed anyway but I want to know if I should get it worked on before I join or could I join and get it done by military dentists?

Thanks for reading this!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you'll fit in fine...:p

Get them taken care of once you are in...

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never seen anyone disqualified because of existing dental conditions. The only thing I can think of is an unfixed cleft palate. You can wait to get your teeth fixed by the military, but you'll have less autonomy, meaning the treating dentists will do what they have to do is necessary to get you ready... for example amalgams instead of composite posterior fillings, extraction of questionable teeth that you may want to try to save if you had the time and money.

For what you're describing, which is classic soda caries, we'd perform caries control treatment on recruits and ARNG/reserves getting ready to deploy. We take out the decay and fill with a glass ionomer (ketac or fuji ix). The results are not 100% ideal in terms of cosmetics, but the expectation is that the cavities are stopped, and that you can get permanent fillings at your next duty station.

Bottom line is that your condition doesn't disqualify you.

That's what I figured would happen.

Ive probably have some time before I'll be sent to basic anyway, so I'll see what I can get done before the Air Force has their way with me.

Thanks for the information guys!

I've never seen anyone disqualified because of existing dental conditions.

i've seen it happen many time (although it was in 1998, 1999, so things may have changed since then).

they weren't disqualified until they arrived at the basic training site and started going throught he initial in-processing for basic. they were sent home at that point.

Can anyone confirm either way? I have some that say no and some that say yes, no I'm back at square one.

So another question, If I were to get sent home would I be able to get them fixed then go back? Or would I be permanently disqualified?

"but you'll have less autonomy, meaning the treating dentists will do what they have to do is necessary to get you ready... for example amalgams instead of composite posterior fillings, extraction of questionable teeth that you may want to try to save if you had the time and money"

Don't let this post scare you. If your tooth can be saved, and you aren't deploying right away, you will have the option of saving it as long as you are committed to it. For the Army, even in First Term Dental Readiness at Basic Training and AIT, we won't extract your teeth unnecessarily. I am sure the original poster didn't intend for it to sound that way, but I just wanted to clarify so you don't get the wrong impression.

"but you'll have less autonomy, meaning the treating dentists will do what they have to do is necessary to get you ready... for example amalgams instead of composite posterior fillings, extraction of questionable teeth that you may want to try to save if you had the time and money"

Don't let this post scare you. If your tooth can be saved, and you aren't deploying right away, you will have the option of saving it as long as you are committed to it. For the Army, even in First Term Dental Readiness at Basic Training and AIT, we won't extract your teeth unnecessarily. I am sure the original poster didn't intend for it to sound that way, but I just wanted to clarify so you don't get the wrong impression.

the treating dentists will do what they have to do is necessary to get you ready (for deployment)

No one is talking about extracting teeth unnecessarily, that would be malpractice.

Thanks for the info guys! I may talk to a local dentist and see what they say about what I need done. Apparently I get a free exam my first time in there so why not. I just want to make sure it Isn't worse then I think it is. :cool: