Quantcast

Joining the premed club as a med student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laughingfrog

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hello,

Anyone done this? would it be a good leadership position for residency if I can for eboard / president? i figure it makes sense for the pre-med club to be run by a med student.

laughingfrog

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
^^ watch out your comments bro

Reactions: 1 user

----x----

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could consider starting a group at the local high school as well, but make sure you have a good name and cheer for the pep events before homecoming

Reactions: 3 users

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think this is probably a good way to be scorned by your peers

Reactions: 12 users

jih

lub-dub-AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
You have to be the funniest person I have seen on this board. And the best part is that most people take you seriously. :rofl:

Reactions: 8 users

Revolution9

Reaction score
I sure hope this is a joke. If not, it is unbelievably sad. Like those guys who graduated high school but stuck around at a local college only to haunt the people who actually go to the school.

Terror Billy

5+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Don't do it unless you wanna be viewed as an adult pledge by your peers in med school

Dr. Stalker

7+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Hello,

Anyone done this? would it be a good leadership position for residency if I can for eboard / president? i figure it makes sense for the pre-med club to be run by a med student.

Idk why everyone's laughing at OP. Assuming this is a serious post, I have a few thoughts on it. Perhaps running/being president of UNDERGRAD PRE MED SOCIETY isn't the best idea (and sometimes isn't feasible as you aren't an undergrad any longer...you're technically enrolled at the graduate school or the school of medicine at some college). However, at my UG (which has a med school as well), we had 2 med student liasons/e-board members. They'd give talks maybe once a month or once every two months and were actively involved in the UG side of things and it was pretty chill. They really discussed things like what med school is about, how to prepare for it (studying strategies), mcat prep ideas, and overall cool things that premeds can/should be doing, as well as things they shouldn't! It was really nice to have them on our staff and they seemed to enjoy it. In fact, it got so popular (they started this whole liason business when I was a sophomore in college) that by the time I was a senior they had 5 of them, who were on eboard, who would then invite other med students to just give a talk/lecture/presentation. Try to do that vs. being president of the UG premed society!

Reactions: 1 users
    Reaction score
    Being a leader of a group you're no longer a part of makes very little sense.

If you liked your undergrad pre-med club that much, offer to go back and give a "what med school's really like" talk, or something like that.

NickNaylor

Thank You for Smoking
    Volunteer Staff
    Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    No one is going to care about this kind of thing when you're in med school. Continue to be involved, sure, and maybe that's something you can very, very briefly mention in your residency application. But residency applications are not like medical school applications. You are first and foremost an employee, and you need to demonstrate that you can successfully work as an employee (in addition to other things). This kind of trivial stuff is going to be so insignificant that it wouldn't be worth the effort if you don't actually get something out of the experience.

alpinism

Give Em' the Jet Fuel
    10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    You could be king of the premeds.

Reactions: 4 users

mpdoc2

10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    It's like a resident being part of the med-school club or an attending being part of a resident society. Most will think it's very lame of you for doing so.

kavorca

10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    I sure hope this is a joke. If not, it is unbelievably sad. Like those guys who graduated high school but stuck around at a local college only to haunt the people who actually go to the school.

You get older and they stay the same age.

Lost in Translation

単純な馬鹿でありたい。
    5+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    In on laughingfrog thread
    Facebook-woop-dat-boi-is-here-57807b.png

Montisumo

5+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Hello,

the trolling is reaching mandatory quarantine levels. Must... Get... Containment suit.... =)

ProspectiveKidd

Membership Revoked
    Removed
    Lifetime Donor
    Reaction score
    the trolling is reaching evolution levels. Must... Get... Containment suit.... =)

"hey so some of you might have seen the thread about being in the pre-med club as a med student. basically this is related to that. i am curious how many med students here know of classmates or themselves picking up undergrads. conversely are there any underrads here who have smashed med students / know friends who have. thanks. also where are the places where undergrads might hang out looking for a eligible student doctor thanks"

Spector1

Orbis non Sufficit
    5+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    woah goro got a new cat pic

TehTeddy

5+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Be honest OP, is it so you can get with undergrads now that you have med-student respect? Don't lie, I've seen your previous posts.

And by get with I mean sex.

Status
    Not open for further replies.