Joining the Reserves as an Attending - currently General Pediatrician - what are the options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pediTBdoc

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been reading through posts for the past several weeks but couldn't find anything specific to my situation. I am currently going into my 2nd year post residency of private practice as a General Pediatrician.

I am wondering what options I have as Gen Peds regarding different branches. I would like to do something similar to HPSP due to my considerable medical school debt. So far I have talked with the Army Reserves but they don't need Pediatricians currently and I talked with the National Guard which would offer a max of 50k for loan repayment. Money is not why I want to join - I want to join for the service but with my loans being so high, I can't financially swing it without some type of loan assistance.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I have been reading through posts for the past several weeks but couldn't find anything specific to my situation. I am currently going into my 2nd year post residency of private practice as a General Pediatrician.

I am wondering what options I have as Gen Peds regarding different branches. I would like to do something similar to HPSP due to my considerable medical school debt. So far I have talked with the Army Reserves but they don't need Pediatricians currently and I talked with the National Guard which would offer a max of 50k for loan repayment. Money is not why I want to join - I want to join for the service but with my loans being so high, I can't financially swing it without some type of loan assistance.

Thanks in advance!
Bump, I just updated my question.

As a general rule of thumb, if the Army isn't paying high enough, the other branches are going to be even more disappointing. Still, you can check with the other branches. The Guard, especially the Air Guard, in particular seems to be more state dependant in what bonuses are offered.

Biggest advice I have is to make sure you're talking to a medical recruiter and that they are also looking into spots and bonuses for General Medical Officer or Flight Surgeon, not just a Pediatrician.

Reactions: 1 user