Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Joint Degree: Doctor of Pharmacy and MBA

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by UF Gator Girl, Dec 5, 2008.

1. UF Gator Girl

Pre-Pharmacy
    I was wondering if anyone knew the wage rate possibilities of someone who earns both thier Doctor of Pharmacy and thier MBA. My university offers a joint degree program but I was unsure what the potential difference in wage rates there are between someone who graduates only with the PharmD or someone who graudates with both the PharmD and MBA. If anyone could advise me one the potential earnings or potential career options, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lady1mport

Pre-Pharmacy
    I was wondering about that also! Anyone care to enlighten us regarding this matter?

4. extra07extra

extra07extra Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    An MBA significantly increases your earnings. I know someone who went to business school just after receiving his PharmD and his job offers were about 50% higher with the additional MBA than the offers he had received with just his PharmD. Although he received the two degrees sequentially, I would imagine a program that leads to both degrees simultaneously would have a similar effect.

5. velocicaur

7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    You need to be able to apply the skills learned in the MBA to make it useful, just like anything else. However, the MBA/business is more risk/reward and is quite different from the "stability" factor of a career in Pharmacy.

Most pharmacists don't strike me as business type.

Just an observation.

6. koercive

koercive Industry HE&OR, Large Cap Pharma
    Partner Organization 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I know what you mean, but there are quite a few students who are actually well-rounded and do more than hit the books 24/7. :D

To the OP,

some old threads:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=188752

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=240279

I am also interested in this path, but I have also considered going for a part-time MBA after receiving the PharmD. For many joint programs, you will be in class for an extra year as well as summers (not many breaks). You do save time and money by completing both degrees in 5 years though.

Also, remember that you will usually need additional letter of recommendations (business type ones would be best) and take the GMAT