MD & DO Joint Degrees...worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PaladinX

Reaction score
Hey, so I was recently accepted into medical school. My school offers joint degree programs (you can only apply after acceptance) and now I'm deciding whether or not it's worth it getting a joint-degree. Most of the joint degrees are 5 years, however, they offer a 4 year MD/MPH program and I'm wondering if it's worth it since I don't "lose a year". Could anyone chime in on if an MPH will open more doors in the future or led to more competitive residencies? I do want to go into healthcare management in the future (the MBA/MD program is 5 years) but worried that it will cost me 1 year extra of tuition and might not yield the results I want. Anecdotal advice would help as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, so I was recently accepted into medical school. My school offers joint degree programs (you can only apply after acceptance) and now I'm deciding whether or not it's worth it getting a joint-degree. Most of the joint degrees are 5 years, however, they offer a 4 year MD/MPH program and I'm wondering if it's worth it since I don't "lose a year". Could anyone chime in on if an MPH will open more doors in the future or led to more competitive residencies? I do want to go into healthcare management in the future (the MBA/MD program is 5 years) but worried that it will cost me 1 year extra of tuition and might not yield the results I want. Anecdotal advice would help as well.

No, medical school's enough to focus on. A degree in public health/epidemiology doesn't contribute to the bolded. If you were interested in global health, starting an NGO, etc. then it might be applicable especially if your medical school is known for their public health program.

If you're going to be applying to a competitive specialty you'll have enough on your plate trying to excel in classes and getting research done, etc. The MPH may be appreciated by resident selection committees but it doesn't really set you apart unless it's accompanied with a coherent explanation and vision that the residency program is willing to support. (Ex. Interested in global health, are applying IM planning to do ID fellowship, and you got your MPH to better understand disparities in infection control).

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
An extra degree, by itself, will not make you more competitive for residency, and as referenced above may actually hinder you if it takes away your time that could be spent being more productive.

Basically, people who benefit from these programs generally have a very strong idea of what they aim to get out of it when they go in. If you aren't sure, then you probably shouldn't bother.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm in a combined MD/MPH program - you should only do it if you like public health, not as something you think will make you more competitive for residencies. I would do it all over again myself, but that's because of my own personal interests and goals. The fields I've heard of that care about MPHs/public health experience are things like Infectious Disease that aren't necessarily that competitive to begin with, not things like ortho or neurosurgery or the like

Reactions: 4 users