Joint MD JD degrees??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeyMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the use for the joint MD/JD degree?????

Members don't see this ad.

would probably give you a pretty heavy resume for working as a lawyer on health related issues, and after that i can't see it hurting one's worthiness as a judge. Not really sure it'd do much if you wanna be a doctor though, if anything it'd make you a weaker doctor as you fumble over every potential lawsuit lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical examiners generally have an MD/JD

I've never heard this before. Do you have any evidence? especially about the "generally" part?

I would say that they could serve as "expert witnesses" but I know for a fact that you wouldn't have to have the JD part. Perhaps they work as consultants with law firms regarding health related cases? Probably make bank doing that.

I've never heard this before. Do you have any evidence? especially about the "generally" part?

I would say that they could serve as "expert witnesses" but I know for a fact that you wouldn't have to have the JD part. Perhaps they work as consultants with law firms regarding health related cases? Probably make bank doing that.
I have not found this to be the case outside of Patricia Cornwell novels.

Even Dr. G doesn't have a JD:) MEs are usually hardcore Patho nerds, and don't find the pursuit of law up their alley...

I think it's pointless; you end up using either one degree or the other.

Malpractice :(

Or big pharma.

Probably lots of things, but both degrees aren't probably "required" for any of them.

I more or less agree with the prior link. There is no use. For medmal 99.99% of health lawyers don't have an MD and do fine. For medical examiners you for sure don't need both degrees. For medical administration an RN with an MBA will often go just as far as a JD/MD. Big pharma hires JDs without MDs, and MDs without JDs. Nobody is going to pay you more because you have both degrees, so you are really doing it for yourself not your career progression. You can absolutely use both degrees in academics, but again won't earn more because of it. Both degrees are marginally useful if you spend a lot of time as an expert witness, but again won't increase your fees and what you are willing to testify to is going to decide whether you get hired, not your degrees. So basically don't do it. The only reason someone should have a JD/MD IMHO is if they did one field first, and later decided to change careers. Then sure, you leverage the heck out of your prior experience. But don't do it as a joint degree. Like a lot of joint degrees, there's no ready job for a JD/MD, and you will be forever trying to convince employers why both degrees are a value to them, rather than being particularly suited for a particular job.

when you get bored of practicing medicine you can sue some people and entertain yourself.

It generates an extra 30-70 thousand dollars a year for the school in question. Speaking as someone who once considered going to law school, don't do it unless you can get into a tier one school.

Health policy... particularly in iffy areas such as...
http://www.nida.nih.gov/nidahome.html

Law: understand the policies better and the legal implications of illicit drugs
Medicine: relevant issues pertaining to such activity...
duh?

I'm in love with the MD/JD :love:. Law2Doc makes me sad panda :cry:.