Jon Orsay and PR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

captbadass

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the names in the inside of the pr book cover and I noticed one of the names they give special thanks to is Jon Orsay. Is this the examkrackers Jon Orsay? What up wit dat? Anybody else ever notice this?

CAPT

Members don't see this ad.

Hello captbadass,

A small bio of John Orsay is on his website. I have pasted it below:

"Jonathan Orsay is uniquely qualified to write an MCAT preparation book. He has taken a real MCAT three times from 1989 to 1996 scoring in the 90 percentiles on all sections before becoming an MCAT instructor. Later, for two additional MCAT administrations, he wrote an MCAT report for an international test prep company based upon information gathered from a network of professional test takers that spanned the entire country. He has written an internal intelligence report for EXAMKRACKERS for each MCAT administration since 1998 based upon student impressions days after taking the actual exam. He has lectured in MCAT test preparation for thousands of hours and across the country for every MCAT administration since August 1994. He has taught premeds from such prestigious Universities as Harvard and Columbia. He was the editor of the 1996-97 edition and the 1997 edition of the best selling MCAT prep book in the country ("Flowers and Silver MCAT" published by Princeton Review). Orsay graduated on the Dean's list with a B.A. in History from Columbia University. He is currently the Director of MCAT for EXAMKRACKERS. He has written and published the following books in MCAT preparation: "EXAMKRACKERS MCAT Physics"; "EXAMKRACKERS MCAT Chemistry"; "EXAMKRACKERS MCAT Organic Chemistry"; "EXAMKRACKERS MCAT Biology"; "EXAMKRACKERS 1001 questions in MCAT Physics". "

It looks like he was an editor on the flowers & silvers TPR book. So it seems like the John Orsay from EK is the person they are giving thanks to.

When he came to my school he said he used to work for Princeton Review until he decided to start his own prep comp.

i wonder why they still list his name for the 2004 edition of the science workbook. i assume that means he still contributes or performs some sort of service to pr. sounds like a conflict of interest to me, but of course i dont know all the details. in any case, looks like he made a good decision starting his own prep comp.

capt

Members don't see this ad :)
wierd... someone told me the guy that created the berkeley review once owned the princeton review... and it looks like orsay had his own stint w/ tpr... it must be that these guys realize they can make much more income running their own thing vs w/in the princeton beauracracy;
however this makes me wonder whether tpr is better because that would be the case when the combined talents the likes of the heads of tbr & ek + a lot more resources + a lot more personnel would =

Originally posted by captbadass
I was looking at the names in the inside of the pr book cover and I noticed one of the names they give special thanks to is Jon Orsay. Is this the examkrackers Jon Orsay? What up wit dat? Anybody else ever notice this?

CAPT

Somewhere I read that Orsay worked for a major test review company. Then he went on his own. I suspect that he sold his company to the current EK parent, Osate (sp?) publishing . . . or maybe it is just a publishing relationship. They also make DAT, pharm, GRE, etc. review materials.

I can't remember the edition, but it might be the 1999 or 2000 PR course manual book where Jordan Zaretsky's name is listed as a contributer.

Originally posted by natureboy
I can't remember the edition, but it might be the 1999 or 2000 PR course manual book where Jordan Zaretsky's name is listed as a contributer.

I have the 2000 edition of TPR and his name is listed as a contributor in this edition.