Joslin Diabetes Center Elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

endodoc

Endocrinologist (MD, PhD)
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All
I have a question regarding the best possible Clinical elective rotation. My main focus after my IM residency is endocrine, with a heavy focus on diabetes. I have worked with diabetes for many years prior to moving to the United States. The department in my country was Diabetology. In case this makes a difference, I am a green card holder. I also have a PhD in diabetes, and the majority of my publications (38) are endocrine and cardiology focused.
Currently I am PGY1 resident and would love to do a 1 or 2 month elective rotation at an affiliate of Joslin Diabetes Center (Harvard). I know that Joslin Diabetes Center is top of the line in regards to diabetes. Would a rotation and a letter of recommendation from Joslin (director) allow me to write my own ticket in regards to an endocrinology fellowship?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

To my knowledge, I don't think endocrine fellowships are very competitive. I'm sure doing a rotation at a renowned diabetes center would strengthen your app. but it may not be necessary. In fact, I think endocrine may not even fill every year.

IMbound said:
To my knowledge, I don't think endocrine fellowships are very competitive. I'm sure doing a rotation at a renowned diabetes center would strengthen your app. but it may not be necessary. In fact, I think endocrine may not even fill every year.

Endocrinology is not as competitive as say GI or Cardiology, but every year it is becoming more difficult. As a non US citizen I need every advantage over others from the United States. My credentials are fine (USMLE’s, Grades, Ivy league affiliated Residency and Recommendations); but as I’m sure you know some PD’s prefer Americans. There is also the chance I may decide to do fellowship in Cardiology and approach diabetes from that angle. To be a good endocrinologist, you need to be good in cardiology. Whatever the case, I want to be as completive as possible.

Have you heard anything regarding Joslin diabetes Center, from your own experience, friends or other doctors?

Thanks for the post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Endodoc, you're in great shape for Endo fellowships, even as a non-American. Endo is still not considered to be one of the very competitive fellowships, and you have had long-standing work in it. Consider looking at different diabetes centers, because there are several that are considered pretty much equal in strength.

In my opinion, I would look for: 1) people who most specifically match your future clinical and research interests in Endo and still hold a solid position, rather than focusing on the institution or position of a professor (will get you a stronger letter), 2) if you want to stay in academic medicine, then I would look at fellowships located in the city or institution you want to end up in as faculty.

Seems to me that diabetes centers around the country have different interests -- some are more transplantation focused, some are more stem-cell focused, but several have the same reputation for research and faculty.

pretzel said:
Endodoc, you're in great shape for Endo fellowships, even as a non-American. Endo is still not considered to be one of the very competitive fellowships, and you have had long-standing work in it. Consider looking at different diabetes centers, because there are several that are considered pretty much equal in strength.

In my opinion, I would look for: 1) people who most specifically match your future clinical and research interests in Endo and still hold a solid position, rather than focusing on the institution or position of a professor (will get you a stronger letter), 2) if you want to stay in academic medicine, then I would look at fellowships located in the city or institution you want to end up in as faculty.

Seems to me that diabetes centers around the country have different interests -- some are more transplantation focused, some are more stem-cell focused, but several have the same reputation for research and faculty.

Hey,
Thanks for the info. I just found out that I got the elective at Joslin diabetes Center, so I am very excited. It has been a dream of mine since I was starting med to be involved with Joslin's. They seemed more than happy to help me and make this elective happen, even though my med center is not connected with them. It is more typical that we do our electives at our sister hospital, and not go outside. My PD was also happy to make this happen for me, because I am sure it helps our reputation.
Thanks again for your post.