Journal Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neilc

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone...looking for some help here.

at my school there is no journal club as yet. i am hoping to start a rather informal monthly meeting to review a few articles. the idea is mainly to get comfortable with the staying abreast of the current literature and to learn how to really read a study. the problem is, i have no real idea how to dissect a journal article or studey, to assess it's value. i know it may seem foolish trying to start this with no idea how to do it myself, but we gotta start somewhere!

i will propose the idea at our next student council meeting, and of course we will look for some interested faculty to help us along. but, i would like some input from you guys as to what to really look for, how to read a journal article. i am sure that we can get a prof to help us along, but i want to make sure this happens even if we cannot find one. if there is a web site or another source with this info, let me know.

i feel rather stupid and uninformed about this, but i figure i better remedy the situation! thanks in advance for the help...

Members don't see this ad.

I know that Merck & Co. Inc. publishes a small book on how to read journal articles. I know some employees at Merck so if you would like more info on this PM me.

thanks for the help guys!