Journal Pub after one summer of research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lccjblu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im an incoming M1 that's looking at a couple of summer research fellowships/internships for next summer. I was wondering how of ten people are able to publish a paper from research done over the summer at one of these 8-12 week internship research programs.
Having taken a year off to do research full-time, I find 8-12 weeks a really short timespan. I get the feeling that you have to either be super focused (work >60 hours a week) and know exactly what you are looking for. AND on top of that, be pretty lucky to get results that are publishable on the first try (eg so you won't have to troubleshoot anything and re-run an experiment multiple times).

On a separate note, what types of basic sciences research (eg non-clinical) research would likely give you results publishable after just one summer's worth of work? My guess is that work with animals may take quite a bit longer because you have to wait for them to grow and whatnot.

Members don't see this ad.

Im an incoming M1 that's looking at a couple of summer research fellowships/internships for next summer. I was wondering how of ten people are able to publish a paper from research done over the summer at one of these 8-12 week internship research programs.
Having taken a year off to do research full-time, I find 8-12 weeks a really short timespan. I get the feeling that you have to either be super focused (work >60 hours a week) and know exactly what you are looking for. AND on top of that, be pretty lucky to get results that are publishable on the first try (eg so you won't have to troubleshoot anything and re-run an experiment multiple times).

On a separate note, what types of basic sciences research (eg non-clinical) research would likely give you results publishable after just one summer's worth of work? My guess is that work with animals may take quite a bit longer because you have to wait for them to grow and whatnot.

Yep. Work your butt off, have a great project set-up so you can hit the ground running, and do your experiments. That's how research gets done.

Also, unless you're dealing with super-rare KO strains, most labs just order animals from the university's animal facility. When we need mice, we place an order, and the cages show up in our workroom a few days later with mice of the appropriate age, strain, sex, and number.

You don't have to be first author. Ask your supervisor if you can just contribute to an existing project and he/she would add your name to the list of authors.