Journals with good impact factor, low cost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samysmiley

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a paper published in Frontiers lately, but the bill was around $1500. My chair told me that the department would not do that again. I recently had an article turned away from the IJROBP, but recommended for Advances in Radiation Oncology- also an ASTRO journal, but there is a $1500 price tag. I was looking to resubmit to another journal with a decent impact factor, but not such a high cost. Do you guys know any good ones?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know of one, but I sure am depressed after reading your post that it has come down to paying $1500 for pub :( Surely, if it was accepted at Frontiers, another non-pay journal would've took it.

$1500 is too much, agree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know of one, but I sure am depressed after reading your post that it has come down to paying $1500 for pub :( Surely, if it was accepted at Frontiers, another non-pay journal would've took it.
Not sure that I agree. Frontiers is an Open Access journal that is not MEDLINE listed and as far as I can tell has no impact factor (translate into pay to play). To the original question there are multiple subscription models journals in this space. Practical Radiation Oncology is one (but the acceptance rate is as low as IJROBP). You might consider a disease-specific journal depending on the content.

Please be careful guys. I know it is exciting to get "published" but there are so many predatory journals out there that will literally publish anything for $1500+ dollars. If you get tricked into publishing in one of them it might be better to just leave it off your CV since I imagine that Chairs and Program Directors can tell and it will make you look like a fool.

This is almost unbelievable but true: Journal accepts bogus paper requesting removal from mailing list

Reactions: 1 user
ones that are indexed by Pubmed are generally a safe bet.

ones that are indexed by Pubmed are generally a safe bet.
It is important to distinguish between MEDLINE listing (which involves a rigorous process before a journal is listed) and availability in a PubMed search. Just about any journal that is Open Access can appear in a PubMed search (PubMed Central); the NLM allows any journal that complies with their architecture and agrees to send data to be in PubMed Central but this is very different than MEDLINE listed journals. Most people do not understand the difference. Open Access journals can be excellent with high impact factors and the like (e.g. PLOS One) but many journals that appear in a PubMed search are nothing more than pay for play organizations. The "guarantee" of PubMed ensuring quality is no longer valid.

For those that want to learn more I recommend the link below

MEDLINE, PubMed, and PMC (PubMed Central): How are they different?

Reactions: 3 users
I had a paper published in Frontiers lately, but the bill was around $1500. My chair told me that the department would not do that again. I recently had an article turned away from the IJROBP, but recommended for Advances in Radiation Oncology- also an ASTRO journal, but there is a $1500 price tag. I was looking to resubmit to another journal with a decent impact factor, but not such a high cost. Do you guys know any good ones?

Here are a few ideas (I do not think any of these journals have open access fees at present)- impact factor may not matter as much as being indexed unless you are actively trying to get tenure. Are you?
Keep in mind that most of these open access fees are coming out of investigators' grant monies.

Cancer Investigation
American Journal of Clinical Oncology
Green Journal (Eur J of Radiation Oncology)
I also agree with the disease-specific journal suggestion.