Journals you guys like to read?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halcyon32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking for some open access peer reviewed journals that I can read some papers and experiments from. Mostly to get myself accustomed to how the new MCAT passages are since I understand that all the passages are in an experimental context now, but also because I feel like I could learn a lot as well. Do you guys read/know of any journals that would fit this criteria?

Members don't see this ad.

PLOS One and Nature, but doesn't your college or university have access to many more journals?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Many universities have proxies to let off campus students access academic resources. I would recommend contacting your college's IT dept to see if they do as well. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Many universities have proxies to let off campus students access academic resources. I would recommend contacting your college's IT dept to see if they do as well. Good luck!
Oh that's great advice thanks a lot!

To name a few:

PLoS Journals
eLife
Science Advances (Science Magazine's new open access journal)
Genes & Development
Journal of Biological Chemistry

If you want to read up on a specific topic, go to PubMed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed) and select the "Free full text" option under "Text Availability" on the left hand side. Then put in whatever search criteria you want.

As far as MCAT prep goes, I would recommend you stick to one basic science topic you found interesting in your classes and do the following:
(1) Read a review(s)
(2) Practice reading and analysis on simple, short research articles. You may find some at journals that specifically publish short reports, such as Nature Communications.
(3) Move up to full length papers with more complex intricacies.

Depending on your academic background, you may find it hard to jump straight into primary literature because you might not even know which experimental conditions are actually controls.

Reactions: 1 user
To name a few:

PLoS Journals
eLife
Science Advances (Science Magazine's new open access journal)
Genes & Development
Journal of Biological Chemistry

If you want to read up on a specific topic, go to PubMed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed) and select the "Free full text" option under "Text Availability" on the left hand side. Then put in whatever search criteria you want.

As far as MCAT prep goes, I would recommend you stick to one basic science topic you found interesting in your classes and do the following:
(1) Read a review(s)
(2) Practice reading and analysis on simple, short research articles. You may find some at journals that specifically publish short reports, such as Nature Communications.
(3) Move up to full length papers with more complex intricacies.

Depending on your academic background, you may find it hard to jump straight into primary literature because you might not even know which experimental conditions are actually controls.
I was thinking I'd probably read reviews and papers on biochem as the new MCAT is biochem heavy. Thanks a lot for the great advice!
I just read science fiction...
I feel like that would be more conducive towards CARS rather than BS passages but to be honest I probably need CARS practice as well

Hey guys, I'm looking for some open access peer reviewed journals that I can read some papers and experiments from. Mostly to get myself accustomed to how the new MCAT passages are since I understand that all the passages are in an experimental context now, but also because I feel like I could learn a lot as well. Do you guys read/know of any journals that would fit this criteria?

wtff why do they keep changing these tests

Do people actually enjoy reading journals? Cause I hate it. The writing is generally terrible.

Give me a good book written by someone whose job is to be a good writer over a scientific journal any day.

To be honest, I get the feeling that most researchers don't even like reading scientific journals. That's just from my experience at my lab, which did admittedly have a few people who regretted getting a PhD in the first place.