JP to Harvard Square Commute (1-3 hours one way)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Found a great apartment, but it's all the way in Jamaica Plain (JP) and I'm going to Harvard Extension. The apartment is nice and quiet and will allow me to sleep and study well when there, but I'm wondering if the commute is too long. I'm wondering if there is any such thing as a fast way to get from JP to Harvard Square? And how much this commute is going to impact my time for extracurriculars? And how much it will decrease study time since I have difficulty studying on the bus and trains.

Anyone on here try this or a similar commute?

Edit: The 3 routes I'm considering are, 1. orange line to red line to harvard square, 2. 39 bus to 66 bus to harvard square, and a bus (cannot remember the number) to longwood to harvard shuttle to harvard square. Someone I know recommended the uber for a commute, but without having time to look into that yet, I suspect it would be too expensive to use many times a week. Not sure if I would have any success, or if it would even be acceptable, to post ad somewhere looking for someone else who also has this commute and wants to take me along to save money on gas. Those are all of my ideas for now.

Members don't see this ad.

Not worth...better to live in Cambridge or Somerville somewhere. then you could walk to class. That'll probably be 1000$Ish saved a year, plus the time saved is priceless

The orange line will essentially take you on a giant detour all throughout Boston, and 2 buses is a little excessive. Buses are notoriously undependable, they do NOT actually follow the written schedule. You'll end up hoping it just shows up. Both will take you 1-1.5 hours one way.

Reactions: 1 users
I would also suggest living in Somerville too. A little cheaper than Cambridge and not too far away. The 66 bus is the worst bus line I've regularly taken and I wouldn't trust it for an everyday commute unless it's the only way. It's never on time, and it goes through really congested roads. The same goes for the M2 bus in terms of going through congested roads. I'm not even sure if you could ride for free. I know staff gets it for free but do students get it too?

EDIT: I will add though that the M2 is a nice bus ride that typically leaves longwood on time. Those are nice and new and clean too. You'd have to plan ahead and get on it way before your class time though because the traffic can be pretty awful.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with the above posters, there are definitely affordable housing options in Somerville and the time and headaches you'll save (especially with the buses in the winter...yikes!) will be well worth any incremental rent differences. Best of luck!

I live in JP and take classes at Harvard. It is really not that big of a deal. Take the orange/red lines.

Yikes definitely do not do 39 to 66. I've commuted to work with the 66 everyday for a year and it is terrible. I live in JP now and work on the orange line--as much as I love JP I would say try to live closer to Harvard. Maybe orange to red wouldn't be terrible depending on which stop you are located at...but it would still be 1 hr+. Look at Porter Sq or Davis Sq in Somerville for more affordable places close by! Rent is comparable to JP.

Regardless enjoy your time in Boston and at Harvard Ext. I have had really good experiences there! Top notch professors and wide selection of classes. Best of luck!!

Wtf 1 to 3 hours, try 45 minutes to an hour, orange line to downtown crossing red line to Harvard, and the t is great, don't ever take buses if you can take the t. If you can find a roommate to split the cost of an arm and leg a Somerville or cambridge apartment will put you back maybe it's worth it, otherwise JP is fine.

I'm from NJ and went to school in NYC and it would have been a 45min-1hr commute one way, and I didn't even do that (opted for "on campus" housing). You greatly undervalue the amount of time you spend commuting because you aren't taking into account:

Waking up early enough to make the train/bus.
What happens when the trains/buses aren't on schedule, and trust me they will never be.
What happens when there's an urgent thing you need to get to on campus and you're hours out.

Reactions: 1 user
Though I previously said JP would really be fine, I will second living in Allston. Fun neighborhoods, easy bus rides, could walk in a pinch.

Found a great apartment, but it's all the way in Jamaica Plain (JP) and I'm going to Harvard Extension. The apartment is nice and quiet and will allow me to sleep and study well when there, but I'm wondering if the commute is too long. I'm wondering if there is any such thing as a fast way to get from JP to Harvard Square? And how much this commute is going to impact my time for extracurriculars? And how much it will decrease study time since I have difficulty studying on the bus and trains.

Anyone on here try this or a similar commute?

Edit: The 3 routes I'm considering are, 1. orange line to red line to harvard square, 2. 39 bus to 66 bus to harvard square, and a bus (cannot remember the number) to longwood to harvard shuttle to harvard square. Someone I know recommended the uber for a commute, but without having time to look into that yet, I suspect it would be too expensive to use many times a week. Not sure if I would have any success, or if it would even be acceptable, to post ad somewhere looking for someone else who also has this commute and wants to take me along to save money on gas. Those are all of my ideas for now.
I live in JP right now, it really shouldnt take more than an hour at most, but I'd still recommend living closer because others are right you never can trust the MBTA, especially come winter time.

i commuted 2+ hours each way during undergrad and now at med school (NYC area). I get a lot of studying done. Granted, I've been doing this for a long time so I'm used to waking up at 6 or earlier every day.
IMO if you have the money, live closer to campus.