Judicial Infraction--What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Inspector JacquesClouseau

gud one.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, first-time poster but long time lurker here.

I have recently submitted my AMCAS app to be verified, and this pre-secondary time had me thinking about a non-traffic citation I received in PA for an open container. According to lawyers here, this infraction is not a misdemeanor or felony, but rather a summary offense (all I did was sign the ticket the cop gave me and mail it to the court--I didn't go to court or get arrested). Therefore, I didn't mention it in my primary app which only asks for misdemeanors or felonies. Some schools ask about all infractions in their secondaries, and I'm perfectly fine with explaining myself there.

However, some schools do not. Those same schools do background checks, and there is a significant chance it will show up on Certiphi's check. Should I disclose this infraction to schools even if they don't ask about it? Any and all responses are much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, fine by me. The issue I'm worried about is the background check after (if I'm fortunate enough to receive one) an acceptance. If it shows up, can/will they rescind their offer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, fine by me. The issue I'm worried about is the background check after (if I'm fortunate enough to receive one) an acceptance. If it shows up, can/will they rescind their offer?

talk to a lawyer exactly about what kind of language AAMC and the schools you're applying to use when asking for this

if they don't ask exactly for the type of offense you have, and you don't report it, you're in the clear, even if it shows in the certiphi later and the school gets pissed.

Reactions: 1 user
You will have an opportunity to procure a copy of the background check that medical schools will see prior to them actually seeing it when you submit your AMCAS. However, I would highly caution you to make absolutely sure that this infraction is listed as you described: I have seen plenty of people with a similar story who get accepted only to find that they were actually charged with a misdemeanor despite not having to appear in court etc. that is a situation you just don't want to be in

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys. I am 99% sure that a summary offense is not a misdemeanor or felony. If anyone has experience with this in past cycles, feel free to share.