July 27th vs. August 4th MCAT???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panther12

The Dude
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently signed up and on track with my studying to take the MCAT on July 27th at 8 AM. I am wondering, however, if maybe moving my test date a week later to August 4th will hurt me when thinking about the time frame for application.The reason that I am interested in moving my test date is because I feel like I might do better with an afternoon MCAT as opposed to a morning MCAT. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as your application is ready to go and submitted at/around when you take your test so the verification can begin, it really doesn't matter. You will still be pretty late in the cycle with either test date.

You just have to weigh how much you think your score will improve by moving it a week back vs the cost of being a week later on your applications.

Have you tried to take practice exams at 8AM? Practice how you play...works for the Patriots...oh wait it doesn't ;)

Well I've taken an 8 am mcat before. I didn't do that well. I just wanted to do anything I could to make sure that I don't screw it up this time.. I'm studying 12 hours a day+ and doing well with sn2ed's plan. Thing is that I have been kinda getting into the routine of waking up around 730 or 8 and studying until 1 or 2 am. I think that I think best in the afternoon, but of course with the real thing it's going to be hard to be sleepy anyway. I guess I'm asking if the week will really make that much of a difference when it comes to applying, and maybe how a 1pm administration has improved or affected scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I've taken an 8 am mcat before. I didn't do that well. I just wanted to do anything I could to make sure that I don't screw it up this time.. I'm studying 12 hours a day+ and doing well with sn2ed's plan. Thing is that I have been kinda getting into the routine of waking up around 730 or 8 and studying until 1 or 2 am. I think that I think best in the afternoon, but of course with the real thing it's going to be hard to be sleepy anyway. I guess I'm asking if the week will really make that much of a difference when it comes to applying, and maybe how a 1pm administration has improved or affected scores?

That one week will not make much difference. What will make the difference is a couple points on the MCAT. A 33 looks much better than a 31 in my opinion. My point is to do whatever you need to do to score your highest.

Thank you. I will be taking practice tests soon, so I'll try out both times of the day and decide.

One week will not make a difference. However both dates are on the late side terms of application time frame

You got to be on the ball for making sure your secondaries go in on time. So there's not much additional delay after schools receive your MCAT scores.

I plan to turn in my primary ASAP, but are schools actually going to send my secondaries before my new MCAT score?

As long as your application is ready to go and submitted at/around when you take your test so the verification can begin, it really doesn't matter. You will still be pretty late in the cycle with either test date.

You just have to weigh how much you think your score will improve by moving it a week back vs the cost of being a week later on your applications.

Have you tried to take practice exams at 8AM? Practice how you play...works for the Patriots...oh wait it doesn't ;)

Sorry, not realted to OP's questions, but your sig is incredible. SUOMI! SUOMI! SUOMI!

One week will not make a difference. However both dates are on the late side terms of application time frame

You got to be on the ball for making sure your secondaries go in on time. So there's not much additional delay after schools receive your MCAT scores.

Do you think its still late if you already have an MCAT score and you submit you primary with your first score and then get secondaries back based on that score? (I am a re applicant with a good enough score that I got all the secondaries I wanted back last year)

Reapplying as well... Waitlisted at two schools but I feel like its nearing the time to move on!

I'm in a similar situation; is it still considered late and will it be a huge detriment to my app even if I have all of my stuff submitted well before the actual MCAT date?

If you're a reapplicant or have a previous MCAT score things change a little. In that case, do whatever will get you the highest score.

I plan to turn in my primary ASAP, but are schools actually going to send my secondaries before my new MCAT score?

Most schools don't screen and you'll get a secondary automatically -- regardless of your MCAT score. I'm not sure about the schools that do screen.

In any case, you can still look up the secondary essay questions on the SDN school-specific forums.

I applied to 21 schools...from state schools (FL) to mid and upper privates and I got secondaries from everyone within a week...