-July 31, 2009 MCAT Official Thread-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zona Pellucida

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for all those taking the July 31st 8am administration.

This will be my second time taking the test after May 22nd, 2009.

Members don't see this ad.

i hate AAMC lol :smuggrin:

i think someone mentioned this before and i know this isn't exactly the thread to discuss this but this wait is killing me and need to vent haha..have you guys realized EVERY aspect of becoming a doctor is brutal...EXTREMELY difficult pre-med requirements (especially compared to pre-law and pre-business), taking the beast of all graduate admissions test (GMAT and LSAT are nothing compared to the MCAT), applying to numerous schools, filling out amcas and then basically filling out the SAME information for secondaries along with a few extra essays, then waiting and waiting for interviews..and then waiting and waiting for acceptances/rejections/wait-lists...and not only that but for years before this process need to maintain a relatively high GPA along with various extracurricular activities to stand out among the competition for relatively low number of seats in a class..and even after all that we still really dont know what to expect..and not to mention the difficulties of medical school itself, USMLE, brutalities of residency and further training, excessive hours of work, board exams, malpractice, dealing with insurance companies and extensive paperwork, and even possibility of involuntary manslaughter (i.e. michael jackson's doctor) etc etc...and then on top of all that..our salaries might be decreasing in the near future while CEOs are getting BONUSES of over hundreds of millions of dollars in addition to their yearly salaries..the former CEO of home depot got like $300 million just for resigning..LOL..

i am all for the challenges of being a doctor and really think there should be a high standard but some of the stuff doctors and inspiring doctors endure is just excessive..and then people still complain that doctors get paid too much..

hahah sorry for the rant..think i've gone crazy with all the refreshing of MCAT THx :laugh:

i hate AAMC lol :smuggrin:

i think someone mentioned this before and i know this isn't exactly the thread to discuss this but this wait is killing me and need to vent haha..have you guys realized EVERY aspect of becoming a doctor is brutal...EXTREMELY difficult pre-med requirements (especially compared to pre-law and pre-business), taking the beast of all graduate admissions test (GMAT and LSAT are nothing compared to the MCAT), applying to numerous schools, filling out amcas and then basically filling out the SAME information for secondaries along with a few extra essays, then waiting and waiting for interviews..and then waiting and waiting for acceptances/rejections/wait-lists...and not only that but for years before this process need to maintain a relatively high GPA along with various extracurricular activities to stand out among the competition for relatively low number of seats in a class..and even after all that we still really dont know what to expect..and not to mention the difficulties of medical school itself, USMLE, brutalities of residency and further training, excessive hours of work, board exams, malpractice, dealing with insurance companies and extensive paperwork, and even possibility of involuntary manslaughter (i.e. michael jackson's doctor) etc etc...and then on top of all that..our salaries might be decreasing in the near future while CEOs are getting BONUSES of over hundreds of millions of dollars in addition to their yearly salaries..the former CEO of home depot got like $300 million just for resigning..LOL..

i am all for the challenges of being a doctor and really think there should be a high standard but some of the stuff doctors and inspiring doctors endure is just excessive..and then people still complain that doctors get paid too much..

hahah sorry for the rant..think i've gone crazy with all the refreshing of MCAT THx :laugh:

and before anyone else does it..ill think ill go ahead and do it myself..

+pity+

lol

Members don't see this ad :)
yea, i too have thought about the insane loops we have to jump through in order to pursue medicine while my other friends have gone into business/engineering and are making killer salaries. I think the point to remember is that while they may be making consumer products or keeping people out of jail, we will be keeping people alive.

i find the thought of keeping someone alive so inspiring that it helps me jump over these seemingly ridiculous hurdles. besides, I think a lot of the obstacles we face are sort of legitimate. our orgo classes, perpetually reaching for a high GPA, a good mcat score...they dont measure our smarts (like an iq test) as much as they do our ability to work hard and remain calm under pressure. I would feel more comfortable putting my life in a doctor's hands who is capable of both those things.

just my two cents :) thought i'd change up the topic as we wait (im)patiently. :luck::xf:

haha, good question. pre-therapy, probably not so much, no. there are a lot of bright people out there who may not have the discipline or maturity to pursue the rigors of medicine. after therapy, matt damon's character was on track. can't see why not.

i do concede tho that there are a lot of different combinations of strengths that make for a good doctor...not just the ones i mentioned.

:luck::xf:

I wasn't too nervous about receiving my score, until I read this thread. Now my heart is about to pound out of my chest. THANKS GUYS

I have already checked my score report page around 20 times to no avail. I think Halo 3 is the only thing that will console me until 5! Personally, I'm excited to receive my scores, with a hint of fear.

and btw, good will hunting would make an excellent physician..although he notoriously very hard to characterize. Is it arrogant with low expectations of life or his talent, or just humble and satisfied with his current life? Would he be motivated to save the lives of others? I think so.

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree Mark. I guess we'll never know the real answer. I saw the character as someone who was incredibly bright but used his arrogance as an almost defense mechanism to protect him from the risk of failure. I don't think pre-therapy he was comfortable with his life -- the ending hints (i dont quite remember anymore) that he was happier and eager to apply/develop his God-given talents. whether he does that in business/law/medicine is his choice :):xf::luck:

from the ending of the movie, I remember (although it has been years since I saw it) he went off to see his gf and quit his job. I think he was about the repeat the same cycle all over again, unless his gf was able to change his life. But, who knows. It was a great cliff hanger.

hi futuremed1! are you one of those trolls i hear so much about? i personally don't discriminate against the troll-folk. they may steal my underpants (oh wait, those were gnomes).

hi futuremed1! are you one of those trolls i hear so much about? i personally don't discriminate against the troll-folk. they may steal my underpants (oh wait, those were gnomes).

The underpants gnomes!! My first organic teacher, way back in elementary organic, showed us that clip during our carbonyl unit in reference to proton reorganization. Step 1, get underpants. Step 2, ????. Step 3, profit. You know, because proton reorganization was beyond the scope of the class.

Anyways, I'm trying not to be nervous. I don't want to do this a third time. I got myself some pesto and red wine for lunch and now I'm going to go enjoy it. I think the alcohol will take the edge off. Maybe.

Good luck everyone!

is everyone going to look right away? this is my third time and i'm going to avoid it as long as possible.

haha, yea i drank a glass (or 5) when i checked last year. this time i'm at home so i'm at a nice comfy library drinking lemon iced tea snapple :D

I've waited to look at final exam/course grades for organic because I knew that if it was bad I wouldn't be able to finish my other exams. This time...yikes. I'm still registered fro 9/10, but haven't done anything since 7/30. Brilliant, I know. Feel free to throw your spare change at me. I need advice. I'm trying to stay positive though. Hopefully I'll have good news (an you guys too).

I've waited to look at final exam/course grades for organic because I knew that if it was bad I wouldn't be able to finish my other exams. This time...yikes. I'm still registered fro 9/10, but haven't done anything since 7/30. Brilliant, I know. Feel free to throw your spare change at me. I need advice. I'm trying to stay positive though. Hopefully I'll have good news (an you guys too).

i would postpone the test and look at your score.
you might not even need to retake it.

The constant checking has made me develop OCD. Think I stand a chance in court against AAMC?

Do we think that at this point our scores will be released at the same time as the 7/30 group? I mean at this point... if it's automated... I really would like to know how their system works... it doesn't make sense to me.

this is really messed up...some other test dates got their scores an ENTIRE day earlier..and right now not even the 07/30 test scores are released..and they usually release two different test dates at a different times meaning we're probably have to wait even longer after 07/30 people get their scores..i do feel bad for 07/30 people though..

lol I wonder if the people in charge have any idea how crazy we all get when they are 20 minutes late.