-July 31, 2009 MCAT Official Thread-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zona Pellucida

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for all those taking the July 31st 8am administration.

This will be my second time taking the test after May 22nd, 2009.

Members don't see this ad.

30s
11ps/8vr/11bs, S-wr

****. there goes my chances at the only 4 canadian schools i wanted to go to.

im really annoyed I have to rewrite this stupid test

28O

11VR
07PH
10BIO

Balanced, isn't it?

:bang:

P.S.: This is my first test; i did not use kaplan, i did it all on my own w/ all 4 exam cracker books. I did not even do the organic chemistry or inorganic chemistry section, and i finished the physics section the night before the EXAM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not as high as I'd hoped (AAMC average 34) but certainly not as low as I'd feared. I'm done with it! Forever!

PS 08
VR 09
BS 11

WR
N

28 overall withing the 63.7 - 69.5%

I am kind of pissed I feel sucky. Oh well I really wanted a 30 but I'm not retaking. This is my first time taking it.

Last edited:
Hey Guys,
I'm not as smart as some of you, but I am pumped! This is my third time taking it, and I have improved by several points each time! This time I got a 28P! V=11, B=9, P=8. This score is competitive at my state med school and that is all I want! Congrats to everyone who got what they wanted, everyone else keep working hard. Peace SDN!

Great scores guys!! I got a 25Q. Not was I was hoping for and about 5 pts. lower than what I was averaging on the AAMC practice tests, but I am applying next year anyway so I got some time. Best of luck to those that are applying this year!!

My average:
PS: 10.5
VR: 10.1
BS: 11.1
Composite: 31.7

5/22:

PS: 8
VR: 9
BS: 10

Total: 27Q

7/31:

PS: 11
VR: 11

32 P!!!!

Done.

I'm so happy right now I could explode. Not even close to some of the awesome scores on here, but definitely high enough for the myriad of DO schools and some state MD schools that I applied to!

27Q

8 VB
9 BS
10 PS

I got a stinking 22R on the May 1st test...so a 5 point boost in 3 months ain't too shabby!! I think I need a hug!!!!:love:

Problem...

I got virtually the same total score this time as last time (27R last time, 27S this time).

AND I went up in BS (8 to 10) and VR (10 to 11).

BUT my PS went down 3 POINTS! (9 to 6).

I don't understand this at all, and I'm VERY disappointed. But I need y'all's thoughts. Where should I go from here?????

Thanks.

Can someone get me a fail sticker to wear? 23R, 2 points worse than I did last time.

Last year I had 7 PS, 10 VR, 8 BS, Q

This year I had 7 PS, 10 VR, 6 BS, R (WTF?)

I guess I better hang on to my seat in the 9/10 test. Last year I nearly got in, this year I can't even apply. This is beyond sad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aug 2008:
PS: 9
VR: 10
W: N

July 2009:
PS: 10
W:S

lol all that stress and studying my butt of for hours a day and 1 point! WHATEVER I'm done!!! I'm happy with the distribution and thank God it didn't go down. I was averaging higher this summer (32/33) but who cares. Got my magic number and I can go forward knowing I did everything I could :)

26...8P 7V 11B

Do schools ever look at composite? I really want to go to my State School (Maryland) and this was my third time.

Composite I am 29.... 9P 9V 11B

Thoughts?

SAME here!!

do any schools really look at composite? I feel i can do better but should we try a 4th time?

;/

confused much?

PS 7??? I thought I aced this!
VR 10
B 10

W N

I know the 7 will screen me out of most MD schools, how about DO? is a 3.4 gpa and 27N even semi-competitive at a DO school?

I promised myself before I took it that three times is enough. plus I sold all my books on ebay. I finished all my secondaries in july and now I will wait...Hopefully UMB!

Are you an in-stater? Feel free to PM me. I am currently applying and also working there and can answer your questions about the campus and my interview. My friend also goes there X_X

I promised myself before I took it that three times is enough. plus I sold all my books on ebay.

So tempted to do this (I need cash from all my secondaries!) but I guess I'll have to wait until I get in somewhere. No plans at all of retake unless I don't get in anywhere this cycle.

The Gold Standard DVDs helped me out a lot. Most of the basic basic stuff he covered in PS appeared on the exam and I took physics 10 years ago and didn't understand it until now.

confused much?

VR 10
B 10

W N

I know the 7 will screen me out of most MD schools, how about DO? is a 3.4 gpa and 27N even semi-competitive at a DO school?

I got a 7 on PS too, and 10 & 11 on Bio & Ver respectively.
Now with me, I KNOW I deserved that 7 b/c i did not study for inorganic chemistry at all...

I think a composite score of 27 leaves you in good standing for DO schools; I have a 3.41 gpa as well. :oops::

28S

PS: 8

A pathetic 4 points below my lowest AAMC test. Guess I sit out this cycle.

confused much?

VR 10
B 10

W N

It's pretty competitive for DO schools. Unless you are completely opposed to applying DO, I would send in some apps...with that score you should get some interviews...hell, I have a 27Q and, from what I'm reading about most DO schools, that puts me in good standing at almost all DO schools. DO schools normally don't automatically screen out a 7 like most MDs.

I got a 7 on PS too, and 10 & 11 on Bio & Ver respectively.
Now with me, I KNOW I deserved that 7 b/c i did not study for inorganic chemistry at all...

I think a composite score of 27 leaves you in good standing for DO schools; I have a 3.41 gpa as well. :oops::

The funny part is i was telling everyone i prob got a 12-13 in physical sciences, and i'm just worried about bombing verbal... Oh the irony... Guess ya can never tell haha. Are you retaking? I can really careless if I go MD, or DO, I just want to get in for this cycle.

I love how I got the lowest in BS.

It's not like its been my major for the past 3 years or anything... :laugh:

Whatever. Don't care.

I'm so happy right now I could explode. Not even close to some of the awesome scores on here, but definitely high enough for the myriad of DO schools and some state MD schools that I applied to!

27Q

8 VB
9 BS
10 PS

I got a stinking 22R on the May 1st test...so a 5 point boost in 3 months ain't too shabby!! I think I need a hug!!!!:love:

:biglove:

P.S.: I need a hug too. This is my first MCAT exam, and I seriously was considering whether I should **kill myself before I showed up to the exam hall on the day of the exam...i even wrote myself a suicide note, but it seems I missed the direction to the really high cliff so I thought i'd go take the exam anyway, since I at least knew the directions to the testing center! lol (got a 28).

**This is partly a joke; yes, I was depressed and feeling like **** on the day of the exam, but I knew I wouldn't kill myself...I'm only sharing this for the humor peeps, pls don't call me, I'm getting laid tonight! :D

Zona Pellucida, you are DONE with the MCAT...DONE!! Stop thinking about it! :)

Yeah - you're right! Off to enjoy the last week of my summer vacation :thumbup:

Congrats to all and if you are disappointed tonight do not worry. It is totally possible to come back and improve. Good luck!

Yeah - you're right! Off to enjoy the last week of my summer vacation :thumbup:

Congrats to all and if you are disappointed tonight do not worry. It is totally possible to come back and improve. Good luck!

Thx! I'll remember to study for the inorganic chemistry section on my next attempt :)

The funny part is i was telling everyone i prob got a 12-13 in physical sciences, and i'm just worried about bombing verbal... Oh the irony... Guess ya can never tell haha. Are you retaking? I can really careless if I go MD, or DO, I just want to get in for this cycle.

Lol, just saw that you replied.

I'm not sure... If I will retake

I'm not sure...If I should retake in Semptember (late registration ends September 5 for last exam this year) or study longer and destroy it :)o) in the 2011 application cycle.

As usual, I'm frakking undecided about everything...**sigh**

I got a 32R and am very pleased! 10VR, 11PS, and 11BS!

By the way, I do not like being called a douche a few posts back for announcing that the scores had arrived. Mine actually did arrive at 9:45....

Quick question...

My AMCAS has been verified and I am complete at quite a few schools (mainly under review). They will all receive my updated score correct? Some schools have blatantly told me "waiting for 7/31 scores". I do not need to send out individual letters/emails to the school announcing my improvement correct? That would be extremely annoying.

still haven't looked....
:(

i feel like i did really bad. only in the 26-31 range on practice tests this time around.
have scored 21 and 20 on real ones before.

i'm afraid the third time i'll go back to the low scores.

can't decide if i'm ready to look yet.

still haven't looked....
:(

i feel like i did really bad. only in the 26-31 range on practice tests this time around.
have scored 21 and 20 on real ones before.

i'm afraid the third time i'll go back to the low scores.

can't decide if i'm ready to look yet.

please check it out and let us know. I'm very anxious for my score coming out next week too. I was in the same situation as urs. ur result (even 1 pt improve) would be a huge encouragement.

please check it out and let us know. I'm very anxious for my score coming out next week too. I was in the same situation as urs. ur result (even 1 pt improve) would be a huge encouragement.

thanks for the support. :)
i will definitely let you all know. its just a huge deal because i hadn't taken an mcat since june of last year. this was my third and hopefully final time to be done with this once and for all. i took my first test in January of 2008. I'm so sick of the mcat taking up so much of my life.
i'll be 22 on friday and i'm hoping not to have to be upset for the rest of the week.

PS 14
BS 14
VR 11
--------
Composite: 39R

thanks a lot for the company guys...congrats to those who reached their goals after working so hard, and my sympathies to those who weren't satisfied...the reward is that much sweeter if you decide to retake and work twice as hard to achieve your goal.

Best of luck to you all.

PS 14
BS 14
VR 11
--------
Composite: 39R

thanks a lot for the company guys...congrats to those who reached their goals after working so hard, and my sympathies to those who weren't satisfied...the reward is that much sweeter if you decide to retake and work twice as hard to achieve your goal.

Best of luck to you all.

Amazing score. Congrats and I'm sure very well deserved!:thumbup:

He did you guys have a series number listed next to your scores? I just thought it was weird that I did not have one this time.

Quick question...

My AMCAS has been verified and I am complete at quite a few schools (mainly under review). They will all receive my updated score correct? Some schools have blatantly told me "waiting for 7/31 scores". I do not need to send out individual letters/emails to the school announcing my improvement correct? That would be extremely annoying.

thanks Zona! same to you :)

I am in the same boat you are (except i'm sending out my secondaries tomorrow). If you noted on amcas for them to wait, then they will wait. I am not planning on sending separate notification about my mcat score, and I don't think that should be necessary.

of course, even the best advice on SDN is sorta half-baked and I would def. ask a couple of schools that marked you complete if this is necessary, if you want a truly reliable answer. i may do this myself. good luck to you!

August 2008: 28 Q (V 9, PS 10, BS 9)
July 2009: 37R (V 9, PS 15, BS 13)

It can be done. Study hard

I got a 32R and am very pleased! 10VR, 11PS, and 11BS!

By the way, I do not like being called a douche a few posts back for announcing that the scores had arrived. Mine actually did arrive at 9:45....

Yeah, I didn't realize that scores for the same testing date could possibly be released at different times, I thought you were just trying to make all of us waiting feel worse about the wait. Congrats on your scores!

Last edited:
i did worse than any of my practice scores. i did worse in the section i was scoring best in. i received a number in that section that i have never received in any section of any practice test. sigh.

Keep your head up man. Once you're in med school, MCAT scores will no longer mean anything. ;)

In Aug 08 I self-studied with EK only. Maybe read it through 1~2 times and took AAMC practice tests.

In June 09 I self-studied again. I read all of EK 3x and Kaplan's premier program 2x. I took the Kaplan practice tests as well as AAMC tests.