July 31st MCAT - Does this hurt my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovemcat

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm scheduled to take the July 8th MCAT, but there's still so much information I need to review. I estimate I'll be done finished reviewing content around June 25th which gives me very little time to actually practice what I learned. I have a lot of material I didn't even get to use because I'm so focused on learning content (BR Passages for Physics, Gen. Chem, and Orgo + Online TPR Passages + TPRH Workbook). Moving it would give me more time to utilize all these materials and focus on my weak spots.

Anyways my question is, do you think taking the MCAT July 30th significantly ruins my chances of being accepted this year? I don't know what to do.

I also should mention that my GPA is low @ 3.4 (my science gpa is around 3.0 due to a rough freshman year). So I'm really relying on a solid MCAT score to improve my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Right now I'm scheduled to take the July 8th MCAT, but there's still so much information I need to review. I estimate I'll be done finished reviewing content around June 25th which gives me very little time to actually practice what I learned. I have a lot of material I didn't even get to use because I'm so focused on learning content (BR Passages for Physics, Gen. Chem, and Orgo + Online TPR Passages + TPRH Workbook). Moving it would give me more time to utilize all these materials and focus on my weak spots.

Anyways my question is, do you think taking the MCAT July 30th significantly ruins my chances of being accepted this year? I don't know what to do.

I also should mention that my GPA is low @ 3.4 (my science gpa is around 3.0 due to a rough freshman year). So I'm really relying on a solid MCAT score to improve my application.

i'm in the same situation as you, except I've taken the mcat once before and did poorly...my recommendation is to not rush it. If you really think that you won't be ready for the 8th than do not take it the 8th, this happened to me and I didn't delay and I regret that decision so much. I'm leaning towards late july exam...

I am also in the same situation, I was going to take the MCAT yesterday but bumped it back a month ago to july 30th. What I am going to do is make sure I have all of my application ready so when my MCAT score does come out my application will be complete. It is also important to get secondaries back to the school as soon as possible to stay competitive. For me it was important to do well on the MCAT since my GPA is around 3.6. With a competitive MCAT I still think those of us taking it late July should still have a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I am in the similar situation. I am schedule to take my first MCAT test July 16th but was going to push it back to July 30th and finish my AMCAS by June6th (the latest). I already schedule to take my test on the 16th but two more weeks is good to study for a test like the MCAT :). I am pretty competitive for medical school actually very competitive. I have the complete package but just want to BEAST my MCAT, that is all. Take it when you are ready. My weakness is physics so I been focusing on that as well and of course G. Chem. Verbal I have to practice, practice, practice and BS is understanding the passages. I was going to do straight content review and then do questions after I am done which should take like a month to do and then focus on passages and the 1001EK books. I should just do the 1001EK books while I am studying and then focus on doing BR passages after I am doone studying erthing. Idk What do y'all think. ANy suggestions

I am in the same boat, I was signed up for the july 8th but just rescheduled yesterday for the 29th PM seat which was a miracle to find.... I feel I need more time to get the score I want.
I am also working on my applications I should finish them within this month at most.
I seem to have EVERYTHING right now but THE MCAT ...

Wish you all the best.

The MCAT isn't something that should be rushed. Take it when you are feeling comfortable with your practice test scores & confident that you will do awesome.
I know that people always say that applying early is important, but if your application isn't ready then there's really no point.
Late July is pretty late, but I don't think it's TOO late that you won't have a shot in the cycle if you have a solid app. (I have friends who applied even later in the cycle and have gotten multiple acceptances.) Just make sure you get everything else ready to submit ASPAP (PS, LORs, etc).

You could also submit your AMCAS application before your score comes out in order to get verification out of the way, but the score you get may change your list of schools that you'd be competitive at too.
I guess it's a give and take, but if you decide to take it late July, then just FOCUS ON THE MCAT 110% and give it your all.

Good luck with everything!

Simply, no, it's not a detriment if you've got the rest of the AMCAS submitted by the end of June and leave them waiting for just the score.

I submitted my AMCAS early and my test was July 31st. I fared well.

DO NOT start filling, or even submit the AMCAS the day after your test, at the end of July. You can submit the AMCAS w/o a score, just mark it as "anticipated" and the score update happens relatively fast, despite your score coming in at the beg of Sept.

Simply, no, it's not a detriment if you've got the rest of the AMCAS submitted by the end of June and leave them waiting for just the score.

I submitted my AMCAS early and my test was July 31st. I fared well.

DO NOT start filling, or even submit the AMCAS the day after your test, at the end of July. You can submit the AMCAS w/o a score, just mark it as "anticipated" and the score update happens relatively fast, despite your score coming in at the beg of Sept.

Hi JmanDo

Thank you for your input. I'm wondering what kind of school you managed to snag.

Even though I was scoring in the 34 region on practice exams prior to my June 16th exam, I ended up voiding because I couldn't finish the VR section on my exam. I wanted to register for July 16th but I was only able to register for the July 29 exam. I'm worried that it will hurt my chances a lot. [3.9+ GPA, 900 hrs clinical exp, 1 pub, AMCAS/LORS/Transcripts already submitted]

I was wondering what kind of stats you had and what kind of schools you were able to get into.

Thanks!!!

hey Ilovemcat, im in a very similar position to you. I also have a low science gpa and I was hoping that my MCAT score would make me competitive but practice tests are not going well so I will probably postpone from july 8 to late july. Its very frusterating and scary but the way I see it is if the MCAT is my last chance to show med schools that I am a good applicant then taking the test when im not ready and botching it doesnt make any sense...for me it seems better to apply late with hopefully a good score and have somewhat of a chance then no chance. Good luck!!

LOL

I just took a practice test. I am also scheduled for July 8. Based on my score, I am not ready. I think it is late enough to look at your score on a practice test and decide if you're really ready for a July 8 administration. I am not.

In my case, all of my application materials (AACOMAS, AMCAS) are already submitted, though I have an older MCAT score along with it that may or may not be good enough for the DO schools nearby.

Also, my top two choice programs (in-state) meet pretty late into the summer/beginning of the fall before they even look at the applications.

Hi JmanDo

Thank you for your input. I'm wondering what kind of school you managed to snag.

Even though I was scoring in the 34 region on practice exams prior to my June 16th exam, I ended up voiding because I couldn't finish the VR section on my exam. I wanted to register for July 16th but I was only able to register for the July 29 exam. I'm worried that it will hurt my chances a lot. [3.9+ GPA, 900 hrs clinical exp, 1 pub, AMCAS/LORS/Transcripts already submitted]

I was wondering what kind of stats you had and what kind of schools you were able to get into.

Thanks!!!
I had similar stats but no pub and fewer hours.
I had 5 MD/PhD interviews and 2 MD int's.
I chose to attend NYU, but I also considered AECOM.