Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

july application?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by holycow, Apr 8, 2007.

1. holycow

holycow Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Okay, so i know people keep saying apply the first possible day. I was planning to apply around june 15 because i was going to take the mcat on may 11th. Howevever, with school and all, i just don't think i will be ready. So i was thinking about postponing to may 30th. which means that I can't apply until July 1st. Would that be considered "late"? Thanks for the advice.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fotografía

fotografía Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No, definitely not late. You'll be fine submitting AMCAS July 1st. If you're that concerned about being done so early, don't sit on your secondaries for very long. Make sure your transcripts/letters are ready as soon as possible. But really, July 1st is fine. If you get everything done completed end of August, you're in the first batch.

4. ggman

2+ Year Member

look, as long as you get in your primary by early august, and start cranking out the secondaries right afterwards, you will be just fine. I think that applying super duper uber early is overrated. Just make sure you don't submit you amcas in mid september or something like that. And as the previous poster said, a lot of people got held back by recs and transcripts, so make sure you have that taken care of, because schools won't look at your app until it is complete all the way.

5. lord_jeebus

lord_jeebus 和魂洋才
    Moderator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    July 1 isn't late at all, but isn't it possible to submit AMCAS with MCAT pending? Perhaps I'm just out of date?

6. zephyrhills123

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I didn't send in my AMCAS until mid-July and still came out fine. As someone else said, try to finish everything around Sept/early October and you should be all right.

But definitely try to get done as early as you possibly can... I believe it really makes a difference.

7. SillyMeMD

SillyMeMD MSIII
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You can submit your AMCAS as long as you plan on taking the MCAT that year. I submitted my AMCAS in July and took the August MCAT so no problem there. :)

8. Darkshooter326

Darkshooter326 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    By the time your application is verified, it will be close to August. I would start the AMCAS after you take the MCAT, then submit in June. You can submit the AMCAS, and even finish some secondaries before your score gets back. Don't think you need an MCAT score to apply, unless your numerical score will determine the schools you select.

9. lord_jeebus

lord_jeebus 和魂洋才
    Moderator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Even if the numerical score determines the schools the OP selects, submitting early to one school would still be advantageous. The grade confirmation process is the rate-limiting step; once it's done adding schools is quick and painless.

10. holycow

holycow Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    thanks for the advice guys. The problem is i took the mcat once already, and didn't do well..so i just didn't want to be pre-screened before I even get my second score you know? I know you can send in your amcas with mcat pending, but does that work for those that already took it once and are retaking it?

11. holycow

holycow Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  12. zephyrhills123

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think it's okay to do that; my belief was that the schools would know that you've got a second MCAT coming and won't look at your app until then. I had a friend who did the same thing... but I'm an undergrad so take my advice with a grain of salt!

If someone else knows, listen to them. :)

13. alwaysaangel

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    That will be more than fine.

Because of a transcript problem mine didn't get in until early July, and I still got very early interviews and very early acceptances. If you look at peoples mdapp timelines you can see that even for people who get them in in June, a lot of secondaries don't come out until July/August anyway.