1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

July MCAT, putting in application in August - "late?"

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Tribeca, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Tribeca

Tribeca Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm scheduled to take the MCAT this May 31st, however, I don't feel that I would be able to get my "top score" by then so I am planning to reschedule it to either June 15th or July 13th.

I've heard about the importance of submitting AMCAS applications as early as possible. If I take the MCAT in July and I wait until I receive my scores in mid-August to submit my application, would that be "not early?" That is, would it put me behind all the other applications? On the other hand, I understand if I take the MCAT in June and submit my application in July then that would still be still considered early, but it would be more helpful for me to have more than an extra 2 weeks to prepare for the MCAT.

Please help me weigh the pros and cons. Thanks! :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mongrel

mongrel Assoc. Prof. Dogsuit
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    IMHO, the rush to have your application completed early will be greater this year than in previous years. In the past, there was the April/August distinction but now people have a lot more flexibility in their testing schedule. Hence, I don't think you'll see as large a number of people submitting their primaries later (as in after July). This might put you behind a greater number than would previous years' people submitting late.

4. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It depends on how unprepared you are. If you think you're going to score so bad in May that it's going to reck you're chances of getting into med school, then extra time is worth the risk of a later application. If you opt for the June MCAT, that extra two weeks is plenty of time to take a ton of practice tests, which is what really boosts your preparedness in the end and you'll still be able to submit early.