July MCAT with Low GPA - Rationale for Yay or Nay, Compared to June MCAT

Mar 11, 2010
Status
Hi guys -

I have a dilemma bugging me.

I am registering for MCAT within the next couple of days (June still open in my area) and am trying to decide between June and July.

Obviously, June is better overall, however, I'm more of a non-trad engineering graduate student who would really benefit from the extra study month, especially since it is summer.

I have a very low GPA (2.8 c and 2.7 s) and am applying to a few schools that allow my master's GPA to replace my undergraduate GPA since I am a state resident (its a special provision I guess). I have a 4.0 engineering grad school GPA.

My question - would it be truly detrimental for me to wait that extra month? Im heavily involved in work (full time biomedical engineer for medical device company) and school (thesis + classes) so its hard finding MCAT study time.

Will schools look at my GPA late and screen me/dismiss me automatically MORE because my application is considered late-early or will it not matter since they have their "numbers" (high GPA high MCAT) people early and are more willing to take a risk on somebody like me later?

By the way, very important: I understand that my MCAT must be 35+ to be considered for US medical schools with my GPA so forget about multiple retakes or whatnot...I need to take it once for this cycle and thats about it. Whether or not I get the 35+ is up to me, however, assume that I do in assessing my case.

I heed all advice... Thank you very much!

NYR56

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I'd say if you think you can get a higher score with the extra month, take it. With that GPA you need to KILL the MCAT, so it's much more important to really get a top notch score than to get your apps in early. With your current schedule, I imagine it would be hard to pull a top MCAT score so I would go for the July MCAT if I were you.

Out of curiosity, where did you get your BME degree?

Mar 11, 2010
Status
I'd say if you think you can get a higher score with the extra month, take it. With that GPA you need to KILL the MCAT, so it's much more important to really get a top notch score than to get your apps in early. With your current schedule, I imagine it would be hard to pull a top MCAT score so I would go for the July MCAT if I were you.

Out of curiosity, where did you get your BME degree?
Miami.

That's also my rationale. I don't have a chance in hell if I don't crush my MCAT so I NEED that extra month.

NYR56

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Nice, I'll probably apply to their med school. I visited a friend who lives nearby and I think I'm ready for some more sun than NY has to offer.

Anyway, if you think you need that extra month as well, then there's no question. As a fellow BME, I think your UG and Grad education will help you greatly with the MCAT so with a little hardcore studying, you should be able to do well. The detriment of having your application a little late will be MUCH less than having a sub 35 MCAT.

Mar 11, 2010
Status
Nice, I'll probably apply to their med school. I visited a friend who lives nearby and I think I'm ready for some more sun than NY has to offer.

Anyway, if you think you need that extra month as well, then there's no question. As a fellow BME, I think your UG and Grad education will help you greatly with the MCAT so with a little hardcore studying, you should be able to do well. The detriment of having your application a little late will be MUCH less than having a sub 35 MCAT.
lots of NYers down here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I was born and raised here and all my research is at the medicalcampus.

MegaSpectacular

Removed
Dec 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
lots of NYers down here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I was born and raised here and all my research is at the medicalcampus.
You should get a feel of your score from your AAMC avg. Apply to the appropriate schools, some with give secondaries without MCAT. Find the secondaries before your score is sent in and fill them out before.

July is ok because lots of people who submit in June won't be complete until July/August, you can complete in August too if you time it all right.