July MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dipak_ramkumar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fellow SDNers,

I am alas lost in a decision and am looking for some advice. I have taken the MCAT once already and had a respectable score. I am scheduled to take the MCAT again in June, but I feel that I am not going to be entirely prepared. As a result, I have been recently contemplating on taking the July 13 exam. I was just wondering how that would reflect on my application status.

I am planning on submitting my AMCAS in early June with my current score, but indicating that I will be retaking the exam in July. Will this hold off the AMCAS processing? I have heard from many sources that it would be ideal to have all the secondaries completed and ready by the end of August/early September. Thus would taking the MCAT in July delay me from achieving the latter?

I appreciate the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Fellow SDNers,

I am alas lost in a decision and am looking for some advice. I have taken the MCAT once already and had a respectable score. I am scheduled to take the MCAT again in June, but I feel that I am not going to be entirely prepared. As a result, I have been recently contemplating on taking the July 13 exam. I was just wondering how that would reflect on my application status.

I am planning on submitting my AMCAS in early June with my current score, but indicating that I will be retaking the exam in July. Will this hold off the AMCAS processing? I have heard from many sources that it would be ideal to have all the secondaries completed and ready by the end of August/early September. Thus would taking the MCAT in July delay me from achieving the latter?

I appreciate the advice.

I'm retaking in early August, and the schools i'm applying to said it wouldn't adversely affect me. Check with your individual schools.

My prehealth advisor said it wouldn't make much of a difference and actually pushed for me to take it in July rather than June to get more study time in.

I called up a couple of schools today (Penn State, Stony Brook, Drexel) and they said moving it from June to July would not "adversely" affect my application. Only Albert Einstein School of Medicine said it would. I can only assume that they're saying that b/c they're going to review apps that come in from June and July MCATs collectively...

Just take into consideration that AMCAS is not going to accept apps until June 5th and that it'll take them about 6 weeks to process an app w/o MCAT scores, it won't be ready accessible to schools until mid July.

Thank you so much for the responses. As always the advice is appreciated. I think I will go ahead and switch my exam date to July.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need advice. I am deciding between taking the MCAT on the June 13th date or the July 8th date. I know its typical to take it in April, but I have to take it between those two dates because I've just suffered the devastating loss of a very close family member. I am currently registered for the April 19th test date, but I am changing it as soon as the new dates open. I just need advice on the best date to take it and information on how that will affect the med school application process and my chances for getting in med school. I am still planning to submit my AMCAS application on June 1st. But do schools need mcats to send me the secondaries? and how will the July mcat test date affect the application process? I have a very solid gpa, and extensive research, volunteer, and shadowing experience as well as many extracurriculars. If I take the June or July MCAT how will that impact the application process? Also, which one is best to take? Based on the recent death, as well as some other factors, I will not be able to start studying hardcore until the beginning of May. I was enrolled in a Kaplan class, but I got it moved to a May date. I still have access to the online material right now however. Any advice would be very helpful! Thanks! :)

I need advice. I am deciding between taking the MCAT on the June 13th date or the July 8th date. I know its typical to take it in April, but I have to take it between those two dates because I've just suffered the devastating loss of a very close family member. I am currently registered for the April 19th test date, but I am changing it as soon as the new dates open. I just need advice on the best date to take it and information on how that will affect the med school application process and my chances for getting in med school. I am still planning to submit my AMCAS application on June 1st. But do schools need mcats to send me the secondaries? and how will the July mcat test date affect the application process? I have a very solid gpa, and extensive research, volunteer, and shadowing experience as well as many extracurriculars. If I take the June or July MCAT how will that impact the application process? Also, which one is best to take? Based on the recent death, as well as some other factors, I will not be able to start studying hardcore until the beginning of May. I was enrolled in a Kaplan class, but I got it moved to a May date. I still have access to the online material right now however. Any advice would be very helpful! Thanks! :)
This is a question I have too. Should I take the MCAT in June or July (for THIS cycle of applications). I can't afford to take a year off.

Will takng it on July 13th (and getting the results around August 13th) be REALLY late for submitting? I have a feeling it would.