July or August MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAGuyana

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm on the horns of a dilemma and desperately need some advice with regards as to deciding between the July or August MCAT. I initially planned on taking the MCAT in July after completing my Physics 2 and Organic 1 this semester, however, it has been some time since I've taken Biology (over ten years). My school offers a Biology and an Orgo 2 course over the summer which finishes up in early August. That said, would postponing the MCAT until I've finished these courses and taking the August MCAT be more advantageous than taking the July MCAT (of course without the benefit of these courses, but with the advantage of finishing my application earlier)? Thanks in advance for your sincere answers.

Members don't see this ad.

If you enroll for any sort of formal tutoring (Kaplan, TPR, etc), then the information you need to know for the MCAT is laid out for you. But if you feel that you could score better by taking the August MCAT, after classes are over, then go ahead and wait. I don't think an extra month is that big of a deal.

Bio is memory work and can be learned through Kaplans.

late completion of the application will hurt your chances.

Take the practice tests. If you are scoring 10+ om Bio, then take the arlier MCAT

I wouldn't take an Orgo class over the summer. Instead, I would take Orgo next fall, review everything over the next year, and take the MCAT a year from now in the spring. The MCAT is rather permanent. You should only take it once you've learned everything and are scoring high on practice exams. Don't rush it and screw it up.