July PCAT 2013--Should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibn72

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating taking the PCAT again...

VA - 33
BIO - 74
RC - 62
QA - 85
CH - 98
Composite - 84

I got a 3 on the writing portion.

My GPA is currently a 3.3.

Background info: I'm also a pharmtech at Target, work in a research lab, volunteer in a hospital pharmacy, in the pre-pharmacy organization and dance team at my university.

Applying to University of Texas (Austin), University of Houston, and Texas Tech.

Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
yep make sure it's a 99% next time. 84% is not high enough. lol I just wish I could make a 60% composite :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know.. I think it's a legitimate question.

1) Do you have the time to study for a retake?
2) Do you believe that you could have studied more and done better had you put forth more effort?
3) Do you have the $$ to pay for more/different study material and the additional exam?
4) Are the other areas of your application weak enough that a higher PCAT score would make a big difference?
5) Were you nervous when you took the exam and feel that now you know what you are up against you'd be more comfortable next time?

Your score is above average. Even top schools usually only average out around high 70's. That being said, a higher score is obviously going to benefit you more than a lower one. You'll have to weigh the pros and cons of whether or not a retake would benefit you. You also should be aware that retaking it and scoring a lower score would not look good either. Personally, I believe your score is in line with your GPA and your time would be better spent focusing on improving your Pharmcas application and PS.

It's actually a very good question because some schools require specific subsection scores. I remember some schools require a 40th percentile in every area, etc. If your schools don't have a requirement, you would be in solid shape without a retake.

It's actually a very good question because some schools require specific subsection scores. I remember some schools require a 40th percentile in every area, etc. If your schools don't have a requirement, you would be in solid shape without a retake.

agreed I think you're best indicator would be to contact the schools and ask if your scores are competitive enough

I know this may sound stupid based on what the rest of this thread has shown as far as PCAT scores, but how much consideration should I give a retake based on these scores?

VA 82%
Bio 79%
RC 75%
QA 78%
Chem 81%

Comp 84%
Writing 4.0

My GPA is 3.79; but I have no Pharmacy experience outside of one shadow visit, subpar volunteer hours, and only have a few leadership positions worth any attention.

My composite was about 9% above the average entrance scores for the school I am applying to.

I honestly think you have a very great chance of getting accepted. Especially if you got above your school of choice's PCAT score. Your gpa is well above average. The pharmacy experience is only recommended not required, plus it shows that you spent a good amount of time focused on school. I'm sure you'll get a few interviews, unless you completely bomb the interview I don't see any reason you wouldn't get accepted this year. Good job on your scores!

I don't know.. I think it's a legitimate question.

1) Do you have the time to study for a retake?
2) Do you believe that you could have studied more and done better had you put forth more effort?
3) Do you have the $$ to pay for more/different study material and the additional exam?
4) Are the other areas of your application weak enough that a higher PCAT score would make a big difference?
5) Were you nervous when you took the exam and feel that now you know what you are up against you'd be more comfortable next time?

Your score is above average. Even top schools usually only average out around high 70's. That being said, a higher score is obviously going to benefit you more than a lower one. You'll have to weigh the pros and cons of whether or not a retake would benefit you. You also should be aware that retaking it and scoring a lower score would not look good either. Personally, I believe your score is in line with your GPA and your time would be better spent focusing on improving your Pharmcas application and PS.
I agree with Skrumpy. I think your GPA and PCAT scores line up nicely. I would put the extra effort into your personal statement and eventually ur interview. Good luck!