June 15th MCAT too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentDoGter

MS3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is it too late to take the MCAT June 15th? Im scheduled for May 18th, but due to school I do not feel prepared enough. I think that I could succeed if I had more time. I have heard of people submitting their applications in order to become verified, but I'm not sure if this test date will put me at a disadvantage.

Members don't see this ad.

I took the mcat early July and had no problem getting interviews at DO schools. Most of it will come down to your stats and what your MCAT score is. It’s in your best interest to get the highest score possible so if you think waiting a month will yield a higher score I’d say go for it

EDIT: I submitted my primaries early August and was verified mid-late August

I took my MCAT on June 15th last year. I had a very subpar cumulative GPA (we're talking <3.0), a pretty good science GPA (~3.6), and scored 500 on the MCAT with strong volunteer/work experience. I did apply to about 20 DO schools (because beggars can't be choosers and you apply everywhere when your app isn't strong enough to be critical) and was invited to interview at 2. One waitlisted me after interview in October and the other accepted me after interview in April. Your time frame is fine for applications as long as your other stats are strong. If they're not strong, the time frame you indicated for MCAT will not allow you to retake this cycle if you do poorly. In my particular case, everything was so very borderline and I got very very lucky. Only you can know if you will do well or not on the MCAT and if your other stats are solid. If they are, then you're taking your MCAT at the perfect time. If they're not, you'll be gambling like me. That said, I took my MCAT in the same time frame for the exact same reasons and I would venture to say that getting a better MCAT score later in the season is far more impressive to a medical school than being the first one to get an app in with lower than ideal MCAT scores.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

Is it too late to take the MCAT June 15th? Im scheduled for May 18th, but due to school I do not feel prepared enough. I think that I could succeed if I had more time. I have heard of people submitting their applications in order to become verified, but I'm not sure if this test date will put me at a disadvantage.
June 15th is fine as long as your primary app is ready to be submitted around a similar time. If both your MCAT score and primary app are sent to schools in mid-July, you'll be in a good position. Make sure to pre-write secondaries, if possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
June 15th is fine as long as your primary app is ready to be submitted around a similar time. If both your MCAT score and primary app are sent to schools in mid-July, you'll be in a good position. Make sure to pre-write secondaries, if possible.

Will it be late if mcat is taken June 29th---> score release July 30 for MD schools? Im planning on submitting my app for verification early July. Will this be too late? I have a pretty good Gpa and really don't wanna take the mcat unprepared. any advice would be appreciated

Will it be late if mcat is taken June 29th---> score release July 30 for MD schools? Im planning on submitting my app for verification early July. Will this be too late? I have a pretty good Gpa and really don't wanna take the mcat unprepared. any advice would be appreciated
Speaking from experience, I took my MCAT on June 29th last year (submitted AMCAS on June 28th and TMDSAS on July 1st) and got reasonably early interview spots and two acceptances (+ 1 waitlist). So, in my experience, this timeline worked perfectly fine and none of my schools had anything negative to say about it. I think you’ll be alright. It’s important to feel prepared for the MCAT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user