June 16 MCAT, wait for new score to send secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScarletKnights

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay guys so I'm reapplying this coming cycle. My sGPA is 3.1, oGPA 3.2 I got a 25Q on my MCAT last year in August. I applied kinda late got one interview no acceptance. So I'm starting to study again and I'm gonna take my MCAT again on June 16. Should I wait to send my secondaries until I get my new score or just send it out June 1st and then send my scores as a update?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay guys so I'm reapplying this coming cycle. My sGPA is 3.1, oGPA 3.2 I got a 25Q on my MCAT last year in August. I applied kinda late got one interview no acceptance. So I'm starting to study again and I'm gonna take my MCAT again on June 16. Should I wait to send my secondaries until I get my new score or just send it out June 1st and then send my scores as a update?

If I were you, I would just wait to fill out and complete your application until you are done with your MCAT. Maybe finish some of the basics, but don't waste your MCAT studying time on your application. Get your application submitted by July 1st and you will have given yourself plenty of time, post-MCAT, to complete your application and you will still be completed early. Then your scores will be out in ~15 days and you'll be golden. ;)

Ok so a June MCAT is always a toss up, if you destroy it, then applying a little later won't hurt, but if you only end up with 25-27 then you might be doing yourself a disservice. Your GPA is below average and unless you get somewhere in the neighborhood of a 28+ you might be in the same boat as you where last year. So I kinda got off track with your original question, but I would apply June 1 and send your new score as an update. Why I would do this is your current MCAT is high enough to at least get secondaries from most if not all DO school, interviews is another story. And your GPA is not going to improve between then so if anything is going to get you screened out it will be your GPA not your current MCAT score. As long as you get your scores in before August you should be fine, but please don't wait to apply, you won't get screened out and it will only hurt you, plus during the time you are waiting for your new score you can work on secondaries. You can also add schools later in the application cycle if your previous MCAT was too low to qualify for secondaries. Believe me from someone who has also been through this process and can appreciated it, time is always against you, don't let it hurt you.

Members don't see this ad :)
My stats are pretty much the same as yours and so was my situation, one interview, no acceptances with a late application. I would suggest getting your application in early, submit your secondaries and then send out an updated application with your MCAT retake. AACOMAS will send out an updated application to all of your schools when your score is sent to them.

ok so a june mcat is always a toss up, if you destroy it, then applying a little later won't hurt, but if you only end up with 25-27 then you might be doing yourself a disservice. Your gpa is below average and unless you get somewhere in the neighborhood of a 28+ you might be in the same boat as you where last year. So i kinda got off track with your original question, but i would apply june 1 and send your new score as an update. Why i would do this is your current mcat is high enough to at least get secondaries from most if not all do school, interviews is another story. And your gpa is not going to improve between then so if anything is going to get you screened out it will be your gpa not your current mcat score. As long as you get your scores in before august you should be fine, but please don't wait to apply, you won't get screened out and it will only hurt you, plus during the time you are waiting for your new score you can work on secondaries. You can also add schools later in the application cycle if your previous mcat was too low to qualify for secondaries. Believe me from someone who has also been through this process and can appreciated it, time is always against you, don't let it hurt you.

+1

Ok so a June MCAT is always a toss up, if you destroy it, then applying a little later won't hurt, but if you only end up with 25-27 then you might be doing yourself a disservice. Your GPA is below average and unless you get somewhere in the neighborhood of a 28+ you might be in the same boat as you where last year. So I kinda got off track with your original question, but I would apply June 1 and send your new score as an update. Why I would do this is your current MCAT is high enough to at least get secondaries from most if not all DO school, interviews is another story. And your GPA is not going to improve between then so if anything is going to get you screened out it will be your GPA not your current MCAT score. As long as you get your scores in before August you should be fine, but please don't wait to apply, you won't get screened out and it will only hurt you, plus during the time you are waiting for your new score you can work on secondaries. You can also add schools later in the application cycle if your previous MCAT was too low to qualify for secondaries. Believe me from someone who has also been through this process and can appreciated it, time is always against you, don't let it hurt you.

While I agree with just about everything you said, I think the OP needs to focus on his MCAT until it's over. He will be done with it on June 16th and s/he already has a mostly complete application (from 2011 year), so realistically s/he could be submitted in less than a week post MCAT. I agree that applying early is key, but 20 days after June 1st is NOT late, it is still very very early. The OP's first responsibility to him/herself is to boost that MCAT, then the application. That's the way I see it. Nobody is saying to wait for the new score, but definitely don't sacrifice points on your MCAT to submit your application 20 days earlier, when after your MCAT it would still early, regardless of your GPA.

While I agree with just about everything you said, I think the OP needs to focus on his MCAT until it's over. He will be done with it on June 16th and s/he already has a mostly complete application (from 2011 year), so realistically s/he could be submitted in less than a week post MCAT. I agree that applying early is key, but 20 days after June 1st is NOT late, it is still very very early. The OP's first responsibility to him/herself is to boost that MCAT, then the application. That's the way I see it. Nobody is saying to wait for the new score, but definitely don't sacrifice points on your MCAT to submit your application 20 days earlier, when after your MCAT it would still early, regardless of your GPA.

Mightymoose I totally agree that the OP needs to focus on the MCAT, but since the OP has already applied previously he or she should already have a good start on his or her application. Also I believe AACOMAS updates your app if you want to add something later and committees don't usually review your app besides numbers to send out secondaries, so if you want to update something later on, you can probably do that without any trouble unless you're EarthyDO :smuggrin: