June 18, 2009 MCAT Official Page

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drudge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

This is just a post for all of us out there who are taking the June 18, 2009 MCAT Test!

First of all, I have been trying for an hour to get in, but the MCAT Registration site says

"Thank You for Your Patience" blah blah blah... wait for your turn!

Anyone else getting that out there?

*** UPDATE: Just got off the phone with MCAT folks and they said not to leave the webpage, or else you will lose your spot and they will open the registration link before noon.

********************** UPDATE 2: I just got in after having waiting since 8:05 AM this morning EST. I had turned on both my laptops and both the home computers. Just wait and you will get in. So, registered at 10:40AM

Once you sign in, everything is just normal! good luck!

*************************** AFTER TAKING TEST---

So friends, took the MCAT on June 18th @ 2PM

I signed in at 1:20PM, but was seated at 2:15PM, they had computer issues, but there were people who came after me and they went ahead of me, made me kind of nervous.

Overall, I felt okay, not good and not that bad.

PS - Some parts were good, but OMG, there were some where I was like, what the hell is this?

VR - WTF? Where do these passages crop up from? They are the most random passages. The one about Thoreau, Whitman was the most awkward one. However, the stupid passage on sperm whale topped in insanity and utter rubbish.

WR - The second prompt that related to dishonesty and friendship. How weird and awkward? I ended up writing about prostitution.

BS - O.M.G.! This was hard! This was harder than the PS in my view. There were some passages that were short, like 2 of them. But, there were one or two that were just tooooo long and weirdly detailed. The one with Colcine Acid or something like that that was injected into the mice, what the hell was that??

On Practice AAMC

PS - 8 to 10
VR - 9 or 10
BS - 9 to 10

Real MCAT Prediction - NO CLUE!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
aamc averages: 11,10,12

june 18th test: 10,11,13

34M

guys, I am worried that my writing is really low. Will that hurt me badly???

how is my overrall scores???

Members don't see this ad :)
PS: 7, VR: 10, BS: 8, WS: Q - 25Q

Practice Averages: PS: 9-12, VR: 10-13, BS: 8-10

PS freaking killed me, was definitely expected 3-4 points higher on that section and at least a 28 overall. I would retake but I lack the time, energy, and money for that right now. Oh well, I guess it is DO or post-bac (hopefully NOT a year off) for me. Any suggestions based on my MDApps would be greatly appreciated.

I would take a year off, and dedicate myself to mcats.

aamc averages: 11,10,12

june 18th test: 10,11,13

34M

guys, I am worried that my writing is really low. Will that hurt me badly???

how is my overrall scores???
haha I got an M aswell, Dude, it doesnt matter! your verbal is good.

Guys. I need your help.

First test: 11PS 06VR 10BS = 27
Second test: 07PS 10VR 08BS = 25

What do I do? only apply to schools who look at the best score in each section? Please help. I feel like my life is over.

The girl I am in love with seems way too out of my league and unreachable, and now this.

dont let it get you down son. taking the mcat and getting with females are similar. theres alot of them, and you can take as many as you want. you cant limit yourself to just one or two

do work homie

2pm June 18: 39Q

PS:13
VR: 11
BS: 15

AAMC averages: I only took one but got a 38. (though I had 2 questions I changed from the right answers :( that would have gotten me a 40.)

I thought I did better on the verbal, but I thought the PS absolutely rocked me. I was just hoping for a 10 on that section. I thought I had a good chance coming out of the test of getting a 14-15, but was almost too scared to hope for that. But then again I really like orgo.

At any rate....phew! Thank God I don't have to deal with that anymore!

AAMC averages: I only took one but got a 38. (though I had 2 questions I changed from the right answers :( that would have gotten me a 40.)

I thought I did better on the verbal, but I thought the PS absolutely rocked me. I was just hoping for a 10 on that section. I thought I had a good chance coming out of the test of getting a 14-15, but was almost too scared to hope for that. But then again I really like orgo.

If it makes you feel any worse, the only thing I beat you on was the writing score.

honestly, what is going on. how is the average of our test a 38 lol? congrats to everyone though

looking over the posts of scores, it looks like alot of people, i mean more than 20 got Ms, myself included, i think this is indicative of the horrible prompts. My second was horrible. M

looking over the posts of scores, it looks like alot of people, i mean more than 20 got Ms, myself included, i think this is indicative of the horrible prompts. My second was horrible. M

Yeah, I thought my writing would have been better as well, at least as compared to my GRE and previous MCAT. Has there only been one S reported so far on this thread?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in that same boat. I got a 41 with an M ... I'm not sure what that really means for the top schools I wish to apply to; does anyone have suggestions or insight into this?

I'm in that same boat. I got a 41 with an M ... I'm not sure what that really means for the top schools I wish to apply to; does anyone have suggestions or insight into this?

From what I've heard, most schools seem to take the writing score with a grain of salt. They also have other information to judge your writing ability on (PS, etc...) and are able to poke at your reasoning ability in an interview, so yeah. A low writing score might just make them look more closely at these other things.

In any case, I can promise that a 41M has a much better chance at an acceptance than a 25T does!

Practice AAMC Avgs: 13 PS 11 VR 13 BS --> 37 Total

2PM Test: 12 PS 13 VR 12 BS --> 37P Total

My practice avg is based on taking all of the AAMCs, so I guess everything was right in line. I'm a little offended by the P on the writing, not that its horrible, but I came out of that test not sure of anything except for having written two strong essays. Seems like most people >35 have <Q on the writing? What's up with that? I'm going to go ahead and assume it doesn't matter at all in terms of picking schools to apply to.

Congrats on that 15! I feel bad for my friends that still are studying, but I can't help have one day of gloating that it's completely over. At least my family is happy I'm back to being a semi-normal happy human being:)

AAMC average-
PS: 9-11
VR: 8-11
BS: 11-13

Real MCAT-
PS: 10
VR: 8
BS: 10

Total: 28N

My overall gpa is a 3.94 and the schools im interested in are Michigan State and Wayne State. I am a resident of Michigan, but I just dont know if this is a good enough score to apply...should I wait for the next cycle retaking the mcat or do you think I have a chance of getting in...:(?
I really dont know what to do and would greatly appreciate some input....
on a lighter note good job to everyone who got the scores you wanted I am happy for you and wish you the best of luck in the rest of the application process!

6/2008 (Without any physics)
26O

PS: 07
VR: 09
WS: O

6/2009 (After .2 semesters of physics, biochem and physiology, a genetics class and analytical chem all of which I got A's in).
25M

PS: 08
VR: 07
WS: M

Thought I did way better after the most recent attempt. Only took it a year ago to see what it was like.

damn i am a big fan of the 20 40 symmetry. do you think me, a 20 39, has a shot with a girl like that? altho i am applying for class of 2015, i would rather spend my 21st year in college than in med school, no need to gradaute early!

d'oh, forgot about that. lol. that would explain your absence from the 2014 thread. But you could always pop in and say hi . . . say that you're getting ready to take Ksmi's place as the king of next year's application thread! perhaps she could take you under her tiny wing. lol.

BTW, glad i dont have to compete against your stupid 39 this year ;)

OKay, so I took the MCAT three years ago (when it was paper and pencil) and got a 35R. This time around my score dropped to a 29P. Blame it on no sleep and computers, who knows?...but now I am thinking that I need to apply to some more safety schools, since I went ahead and applied to all the fancy ones only knowing my old one. Would adcoms really not consider my old score (even if they state three years prior to matriculation)?? :scared:

any idea in terms of safety schools? Should I consider DOs??

GPA: 3.73 cumu. 3.67 sci.

EC: 2nd and 5th author on 2 separate publications, hospital volunteer (you know, the usu)...lots of random things too like interning at a contemporary art gallery and working on olive farms in Italy. Have traveled abroad for quite a bit as well for volunteering and talked about how that shaped me in my personal statement...

Help anyone?? Thanks!

4/16/08 score: 12V/7P/8B WS S = 27S
6/18/09 score: 12V/11P/12B WS O= 35O

Listened to a hell of a lot of Examcrackers audio osmosis and used TPR book (instead of Kaplan review book like last time). I really think the key for me, however, was the volume of practice tests. Even though my average for these was only a 30 going into the test, I took six of them this time compared to two (a week before the test) last year.

Nevertheless, I was a bit in shock here:eek:. I felt pretty lukewarm coming out of the test and was prepared for a score of 27-31 and absolutely no higher. And to reiterate, the WS questions were s%*$ this year, sheesh

Listened to a hell of a lot of Examcrackers audio osmosis and used TPR book (instead of Kaplan review book like last time). I really think the key for me, however, was the volume of practice tests. Even though my average for these was only a 30 going into the test, I took six of them this time compared to two (a week before the test) last year.

Nevertheless, I was a bit in shock here:eek:. I felt pretty lukewarm coming out of the test and was prepared for a score of 27-31 and absolutely no higher. And to reiterate, the WS questions were s%*$ this year, sheesh

Congrats on the huge jump!

BS: 12
PS: 13
WS: S

36S.

Pretty stoked. My first time around was a 32T (Sept. 6th '08 test), which is pretty borderline for some Canadian schools (as an OOP applicant), so I decided to take it again and I'm glad that I did.

For how I felt during the test, I actually felt it was waaaay harder than the Sept. 6th test, and I was actually pretty scared that I would get a far lower score. This is a pleasant surprise (especially VR). The S in writing is a slight tad bit disappointing to me (dropping from a T), but I could see that coming a mile away, especially since the ridiculous prompts threw me off a lot (I had the 2PM test).

Just to help out anyone who is taking/retaking, I mostly practiced straight off of the AAMC tests. I have all of them in the old paper format, which is longer, something that I think actually helped (more questions=more practice). Rather than taking an entire test in one sitting, I would only take a section at a time (a section or two per day) and judge how I felt during that section, and then review if I completely effed up some passage. At no time during my studying for the June 18th test did I take a full practice test in one sitting. I felt this was the best way to spread out my resources, and stay into the rhythm of doing MCAT-style questions, and not feel burnt out after doing 10 FLs in a row.

Also, I also had Kaplan tests in my possession, which I also did section by section like aforementioned. I only used these as a complimentary resource to the AAMC, because I don't think Kaplan is a great indicator of score at all, but I did attempt both the BS and the PS, just because they were definitely harder than the AAMC, and that helped during the actual test, which is definitely harder than the AAMC. I will say this though: do NOT take the Kaplan VR. It is completely useless. The MCAT VR is all about inference, and Kaplan VR is by far the opposite: answers are literally stated in the passage. I've always gotten 14-15s on Kaplan VR when I did them back in Sept '08, and I've always straddled a 10 for the AAMC. What I DID use the Kaplan VR for, however, was the passages. After I ran out of AAMC VR to do, I started just reading the Kaplan passages by themselves, and practiced my ability to both stay focussed, and take information from the passage. Again, I didn't do the actual questions, just read the passages.

For those who love statistics, over all of my practices, I found that I usually scored within a range of (both AAMC and Kaplan combined):
BS: 10-14 (never got below a 10, my best score was 14 in AAMC 10R, but my actual average was around an 11)
PS: 11-15 (see above. I usually got 11-12s, but my best score was again in AAMC 10R, where I scored literally perfect - I was shocked.)
VR: 8-11 (see above, I usually straddled a score of 10, had a few 11s, but my lowest was AAMC 8, with 8).

Good luck to anyone planning on taking/retaking, and I hope I've helped a bit!

8 points is a huge jump, man. Congratulations!

OKay, so I took the MCAT three years ago (when it was paper and pencil) and got a 35R. This time around my score dropped to a 29P. Blame it on no sleep and computers, who knows?...but now I am thinking that I need to apply to some more safety schools, since I went ahead and applied to all the fancy ones only knowing my old one. Would adcoms really not consider my old score (even if they state three years prior to matriculation)?? :scared:

any idea in terms of safety schools? Should I consider DOs??

GPA: 3.73 cumu. 3.67 sci.

EC: 2nd and 5th author on 2 separate publications, hospital volunteer (you know, the usu)...lots of random things too like interning at a contemporary art gallery and working on olive farms in Italy. Have traveled abroad for quite a bit as well for volunteering and talked about how that shaped me in my personal statement...

Help anyone?? Thanks!

Should I just suck it up and retake it again in August?? I am in the 2010 app cycle though.... CRYYYY. Any advice??

Should I just suck it up and retake it again in August?? I am in the 2010 app cycle though.... CRYYYY. Any advice??

I don't think a 29 is a bad score, man. Just because posters in here are averaging in the mid 30's does not mean that's typical. If I were an adcom I would just think you didn't study for your recent MCAT or you got lucky on your last, but I would probably favor the first option and then review your app. 29 is high enough to make it to the interview for a good number of schools. You might want to add some more mid tier schools though, because a 29 is def different than a 35.

sigh..lower than what i had hoped for:
29Q (9VR, 10BS, 10PS)
3.78 GPA overall
applying 2010.. any suggestions?
congrats to all of those here with great scores!

ya you guys really shouldn't worry about the writing letter whethers its a top school or not. i got a 39t and i have no idea what one of my prompts was, and vaguely remember the other (and i would trade it for your 41m in a second!)
ya i will have to get some advice from you 2014er's, its so nice to have my mcat now so i dont have to think about it when i apply next year

less hungover now, will post this for the 8AM

Practice scores/averages - only had time to take 1 after i finished studying, 34 but i honestly was too burnt out when i took it and didn't take it seriously

Feelings right after the test - actually thought VS was right on par, BS was fairly easy with the generous 3 ochem passages, thought PS was fairly rough considering im an engineer!

What your predictions were if you had any - 14-15 BS/PS, 10-15 VS (no idea how to gauge verbal)

Actual scores - 39T (14p, 11v, 14b)

Any other advice/comments/questions - if you didn't do well, don't get discouraged by seeing this flood of 30-40's, the percentiles don't lie, this forum is just skewed because if you did well you want to share.
i took the test just like a normal one and prepared heavily for content, didn't do any strategy (aka triaging)
also had my older bro (got a 40) to clear up confusing content - i would suggest finding someone very intelligent to do this, increases your confidence AND your aptitude!
finally, taking molec. cell and physiology will cover 99% of the bio

I don't think a 29 is a bad score, man. Just because posters in here are averaging in the mid 30's does not mean that's typical. If I were an adcom I would just think you didn't study for your recent MCAT or you got lucky on your last, but I would probably favor the first option and then review your app. 29 is high enough to make it to the interview for a good number of schools. You might want to add some more mid tier schools though, because a 29 is def different than a 35.

I definitely see your point, and I never thought I'd be someone to take the MCAT THREE EFFIN TIMES (it's completely masochistic). But, I really do believe that 29 is NOT what I can do on the MCAT... with the practice tests (even the one published by aamc) I was scoring around a 34.

So the question is: if I am certain that I can do better than a 29 on the next one, should I retake it in August?? :confused: I am sorta leaning towards retake and just do nothing else for the next month...

Didnt take a video, but here's about 1/2 of my stuff. The other half (practice tests) were burned as soon as I got home from the test.
I've got a good 300 pages in there.

69nkme.jpg

ws8bhw.jpg

and of course... the accelerant
70f61x.jpg

Didnt take a video, but here's about 1/2 of my stuff. The other half (practice tests) were burned as soon as I got home from the test.
I've got a good 300 pages in there.

69nkme.jpg

ws8bhw.jpg

and of course... the accelerant
70f61x.jpg

HA!!! not a bad idea man.. I'd prob be doing the same thing if my Kaplan books weren't worth a few bucks.

Hey, we're score twins! :D

I took my first MCAT 8/15/08 and got a 29R (VR 9, PS 11, BS 9)
I took the 2pm test on 6/18 and got a 35O (VR 12, PS 11, BS 12)

I am extremely excited about the 6 point jump! Definitely didn't expect it coming out of the test. I'm a little bit disappointed about the writing score, but not all that concerned about it. Hopefully, I can prove my writing skills in my personal statement.
The only thing I did differently preparing for the exam this time around was take some upper level biology courses. I think this gave me more confidence when tackling weird experimental passages in the bio section. Other than that, all I did was make a study guide using the AAMC outlines and retake all of the AAMC practice exams. I was also able to stay calm throughout the majority of the test (even though PS rattled me initially) and managed my time much better during verbal section.

Congratulations to everyone who got the scores they wanted, and good luck to those who plan on retaking! :)

As for me, I hope to be *done* with the MCAT forever! :soexcited:

Practice test avg: 9-10 verbal, 10-11 bio, 10-12 phys

actual: 8 verbal, 11 bio, 10 phys, ws-O

I am retaking on aug 21, do you guys think a 29 is competitive to get an interview?

I have 3.64 gpa at UConn
Research experience
and some community service

I took the 8 a.m. exam and scored 35R:
12 PS, 13 VR, 10BS.

My prediction was 29:
9 PS, 12 VR, 8 BS

I felt absolutely terrible after taking the test. I always do well on verbal, but I thought the science sections were WAY harder and more time-consuming than anything on the practice AAMCs and I ran out of time on both, having to guess on a fair number of questions. I was also completely under-prepared for organic, which represented a huge part of the BS section. Despite my conviction that I did poorly, my overall score and subsections were right in line with my

AAMC averages:
11 PS, 13 VR, 10 BS

Was going to check my score all drunk and high, but then i got too ****ed up to operate a computer. Stumbled to my computer and was pleasantly surprised to find:

Verbal Reasoning (VR): 09
Physical Sciences (PS): 12
Writing Sample (WS): N
Biological Sciences (BS): 13
Total Score: 34N

My AAMC average was around a 32 and my Kaplan average was around a 35. Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked with that score. The combination of low verbal and writing scores is a little troubling, but im not considering retaking.

I took the August 2007 exam and scored a 31M with 11VR. Will schools see this and think i'm capable, lazy, or that my previous score was a fluke?

Either way, congrats to everyone who hit their marks. And thank you to this forum for keeping me and the perfect level of insanity throughout the waiting process.

lncreases your confidence AND your aptitude!
finally, taking molec. cell and physiology will cover 99% of the bio

QFT:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: To all of you who who say that you don't 'need' more than Bio 1+2 for the MCAT, that's true . . . if you want to max out at 11 or 12.

I also got 14 in BS and I didn't spend a lot of time doing content review- because i learned so much in cell bio and physio.

Why is this thread still growing? Also don't forget to post on the 30+ thread you guys (cough* jaxasp *cough) and thanks to the ones that already have (MaryLennox, austinap, knivez, TicalTarheel, compass and others I'm forgetting).

Good luck applying,

-LIS

Hey all! I just wanted to write so that my fellow non-30+ers wouldn't feel alone :) My breakdown was VR 8 PS 10 BS 9 WS O Overall 27O

Though I've thought about retaking, I'm pretty happy with my results and think that with my 3.92 GPA and extensive EC, I'll have a shot at the MD program in my state.

Good luck to those applying... and I'm really happy for everyone that did so well on 6/18/09!

Hey all! I just wanted to write so that my fellow non-30+ers wouldn't feel alone :) My breakdown was VR 8 PS 10 BS 9 WS O Overall 27O

Though I've thought about retaking, I'm pretty happy with my results and think that with my 3.92 GPA and extensive EC, I'll have a shot at the MD program in my state.

Good luck to those applying... and I'm really happy for everyone that did so well on 6/18/09!

Thanks. Unfortunately I am from California and is neither black nor latino...

so 29 looks pretty awful. I think I will retake in September.

Hey guys really bummed right now. did fine in all sections but verbal killed my composite...Any top notch verbal reasoning prep material people found useful?? Congrats to everyone who got good scores..August 21 test here i come..

Hey guys really bummed right now. did fine in all sections but verbal killed my composite...Any top notch verbal reasoning prep material people found useful?? Congrats to everyone who got good scores..August 21 test here i come..

ExamKrackers 101 Verbal Passages. Do full-lengths and don't go over time. Good luck homie.