June and still no acceptances, only waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikester

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time reader, and I decided it's finally time to post something...

It's June and I'm wondering who else is in the same boat I am - no acceptances and multiple waitlists. I've sent update letters/LOIs, made phone calls, and all that good stuff but no dice so far. Frankly, right now I feel like there's nothing left for me to tell the schools. I'm still hoping for the best (and I do have a job lined up if things don't work out) but I don't know how much longer I can hold my breath here.

FWIW, I'm waitlisted at 6 schools: Columbia, Pitt, GW (the regular letter, not upper echelon), WashU, Michigan (middle tier, out-of-state), and UC Davis. There's also UCSD where I'm still in the acceptable pool and could potentially get another WL letter soon.

So, who else is stuck in painful WL purgatory? Please, somebody let me in and save me from another round of AMCAS and secondaries... :(

- Mikester

Members don't see this ad.

You interviewed at some fine schools, so I'm sure you have a great app. It's going to happen soon. Wash U usually gets a ton of movement. Good luck.

I'm a long time reader but not so much poster as well...

This is my second application cycle, and the second time I find myself on multiple waitlists with no acceptances on June 1st. I know that one of my wait lists moves a lot, but i am on pins and needles waiting for good news.

Good luck to you. I know that this is not easy, but every school that is still a possibility helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey IM in the same boat. Im waitlisted at two schools MUSC and Mercer. I haven't heard anything yet. Im graduating with a stupid science degree, that will not get me a job, or any job that I would want...yeah this really sucks. I been hoping and praying, and sent all my stuff in and updated it and called. I am not sure what else to do....it sucks its like the same position when you were waiting just to hear, and it wasnt guaranteed. Good luck.

although not the same level of schools that you got waitlisted at, i am waitlisted at 6 schools, and am anxiously waiting to hear back from at least one of them. Godwilling it'll be soon. :(

hopefulM.D. said:
although not the same level of schools that you got waitlisted at, i am waitlisted at 6 schools, and am anxiously waiting to hear back from at least one of them. Godwilling it'll be soon. :(

just curious...how many schools did you apply to?

uggghh....I also feel your pain, but I have only one waitlist pos. I am number 19/ 31 at my state school. They've been on number ten for a week and a half.....its moving sooo slow

Only 8 more people...please god !

To the OP....it seems strange that you'd be waitlisted at so many top schools and not accepted SOMEWHERE else...did you apply to a mix of schools (as far as competitiveness goes)?

good luck you guys. i was in the same boat until just recently. I had been waitlisted at 5 schools and just got off 2 school's waitlist since saturday. It will happen!!!

I am waitlisted at two schools with no acceptances yet. I am 18 on the list at Medical College of Ohio and in a "special group" at the top of the list at the University of Cincinnati. I really hope I hear something soon. Its driving me crazy.

Whitney said:
To the OP....it seems strange that you'd be waitlisted at so many top schools and not accepted SOMEWHERE else...did you apply to a mix of schools (as far as competitiveness goes)?

I applied to 26 schools. At the time I thought it was a good mix but obviously in hindsight it wasn't. Now I know.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I hope that this month brings good news to all of us.

hang in there buddies!

im on 8 waitlists and no acceptances yet either..hopefully something happens the next two weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
count me in team...6 waitlists (GW, UVa, St. Louis, Mt. Sinai, NYMC, Vanderbilt), no acceptances.

jiggaman said:
im on 8 waitlists and no acceptances yet either..hopefully something happens the next two weeks.
Wow, I thought 4 WL and no acceptances was rough......good luck to everyone. There's got to be some eventual luck coming to this bunch of SDNers.

def in the same boat as everyone else....5 WL (UB,Upstate(HPA),Tulane,NJMS,Drexel) and no acceptances.....it feels like everyone else is getting accepted except us....hopefully that will change very very soon (fingers crossed)...good luck to everyone!

I am in the same boat as everyone else here....holding on to 4 waitlists. I waited forever for my interviews and apparently, I haven't done enough waiting yet. It seems that I am in this for the long haul.

I cannot believe it's already June. It surely feels like my boat is sinking faster and faster as the days pass. I've sent out LOIs, update letters, e-mails, phone calls, extra rec letters, all that good stuff. And I am running out of things to update. :(

I should probably start worrying about the AMCAS, too. Darn it!

who wants a beer?

same here, and i thought 1 WL was bad enough ha. thats my situation i feel it getting better in three weeks, not this week though.

I'm with you all.

Though have gotten into D.O. school; thankfully.

12 months of anxious anticipation. Not good for your sexual function, definitely not good for the psyche

just out of curiousity, all of you that are getting lots of waitlists but not many acceptances, how does your application stand up against the averages of the schools you are applying to? Like did you apply to a lot of schools that you were a long shot at? Just curious :cool:

Just a note of encouragement because our son JUST got in off of two waitlists, he got into one school about two weeks ago and now got into another school which he will probably choose. He is also waitlisted at three other places. He will probably choose the second school which means he will decline the first, to which he had already sent in a deposit. This means, of course, that a spot will open up at the first school but not until he gets everything in the mail and nailed down at the second school. So, the process moves slowly at this point as you can see. Our son took the MCAT three times with two poor scores and then a good one. He is finishing a masters, his undergrad grades were also not great. It has taken him 4 years since college to do this.

This whole process has been tough for us to watch because my husband did this about 30 years ago. He was a very weak candidate out of college. He not only did a 5th year of college (way back then when you did not really do that), but he then did a two year masters. We have talked this over with many of his partners in his medical practise. Two of them did not get in until the very last minute (August most likely) and a third had not gotten an acceptance until classes were about to begin. The school told him that if he could get there in time for class, he was in. He drove all night to get to the school and was there in time to be sitting in his first class. He was too relieved and excited to fall asleep. These are younger partners so this did not happen that long ago.

We have also seen over the years that there are other ways to get to the goal. We know MANY people who went out of the country to get their degrees (Poland, Ireland, the Carribeaan, Mexico) and have done very well back in the USA. D.O. school is also a very, very good option. You can become a D.O. and then get an allopathic residency if you so desire. The end result is the same, you can have a successful practise and be a respected physician. I looked through our rather lengthy Medical Society directory and noted that at least a third of the doctors in our community ( a metropolitan area of around a million) came from programs other than the standard American Medical Association Schools.

The schooling is only a small part of the journey, the rest is up to you. We have seen a few people get accepted at the top schools, only to self-destruct in medical school because of the pressure or they are lousy doctors because of poor people skills or various addictions, etc.

I know you will think that we have footed the bill which allowed our son to do this, but that is not the case. Noone helped us so we knew that you must have ownership in your own future. He came home to live a year, which helped him I know, but he has taken out expensive loans for graduate school. We have helped him a little but mostly stayed on the sidelines financially not only because we have other children who are in college but because we felt that he needed to decide himself if it was worth it.

What my son said really helped him was something I found on-line and sent him. He did many of these things just a few weeks ago. This is the website, I hope this helps. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/newreply.phpdo=newreply&noquote=1&p=2679317

Our country is going to need many good doctors in the future so I hope you do not give up your dream. We think there will be a shortage, hang in there.

I am in the same boat as everyone here. I'm down to 5 painful waitlists (Wash U, U of R, Stony Brook, GW and NYU) and am waiting for something to happen each and every day. I just wish I had some answers of what I did wrong. I don't think it could be my stats, I have a 35 MCAT and 3.9 gpa. I worked a lot in college, did some volunteering, was a physics TA, etc. Nothing that impressive with my extra curriculars but I didn't think it was that bad. I just wish I had some inkling as to what was going on at these adcom meetings, I feel very lost right now. This is also my second time applying (the first time I had a 25 MCAT so I knew it was a no go right away), so I am worn out with all of this waiting. A yes or no answer would be great so I could move on!

Janis - thank you for the words of encouragement, I know that we all need this right now. This is such a unique situation (applying to medical school) that it helps to know that so many others have been in this same boat. Thanks again and good luck to your son as he embarks on a great future.

6 WLs and no response either way. Applied to 26 and had 10 interviews. WLed at top tier schools and unranked schools alike. I really have no idea what goes on in those meetings.
(sigh) Let the interminable wait continue ...

Are people thinking about AMCAS, round 2? If not, when?
I wake up every day with this on my mind and it is not pleasant. My friends, my family, and my college pre med adviser all keep telling me to go out, get my mind off of it and so on, but to no success.

call damn it ... please?

Mary2009 said:
Janis - thank you for the words of encouragement, I know that we all need this right now. This is such a unique situation (applying to medical school) that it helps to know that so many others have been in this same boat. Thanks again and good luck to your son as he embarks on a great future.

Hi Mary,

You may have done all these things but I do think a letter of Intent to your preferred school and letters of strong interest would be really good right now. Also, is there anyone who could write a great personal letter on your behalf? You could check with the admissions office and see if they take any letters like that. I think anything that will tip the scales at this point on your behalf would be key. Right now is a good time to be doing some of these things.............forgive me if you are already doing these things................
Do you know someone from the schools, or a family doctor? A favorite professor? Also, keep them posted as to the things that you are doing right now, any current volunteering............

another in the same boat:
15 schools, three interviews, three waitlists (GW, Loyola, Einstein)

have sent letters, updates, etc.
i think everyone that could have sent a letter for me did... i just don't know what else to do.

I guess I have to get studying for the Aug MCAT again and the application...

I'm also waitlisted out of my mind... for the second year in a row. This time I applied to more schools though, 12 total, of which I had 8 interviews. Now I'm on 6 waiting lists (UNC, Wake, MCO, EVMS, Drexel & Temple), and I'm still waiting for an initial decision from NYMC. Good luck everybody...

im in the same boat. 4 waitlists. im starting AMCAS again. I cant sit around and wait anymore its making me insane!! (why isnt there an insane looking smiley? :smuggrin: i guess hes pretty close)

Same boat here. On a related topic, I've convinced myself that calling the admissions office is useless. Letters are great because they get put in your file and (supposedly) read by admissions officers. However, what use is calling and talking to the admissions office staff?

(btw, janis, that link of yours didn't work for me, great post though)

Newsradiofan said:
6 WLs and no response either way. Applied to 26 and had 10 interviews. WLed at top tier schools and unranked schools alike. I really have no idea what goes on in those meetings.
(sigh) Let the interminable wait continue ...

Are people thinking about AMCAS, round 2? If not, when?
I wake up every day with this on my mind and it is not pleasant. My friends, my family, and my college pre med adviser all keep telling me to go out, get my mind off of it and so on, but to no success.

call damn it ... please?

Ditto. They have no idea what we have to deal with.
I had pretty decent MCAT scores and good GPA. I am very disappointed with this application process and with the outcome as well. Hopefully all this waiting will pay off at the end and make our acceptances that much sweeter! (I know what I will do on the night I receive my first acceptance)