June MCAT date & committee letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teenyfish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently scheduled for the May 19th MCAT, but looking to push back to June 1 or 16/17th because of a new (much needed) job. I asked my pre-med committee what they thought, and they urged me to do the June 1st, as they would only do the letter after my MCAT scores were received, which if I took the mid-June MCAT would be early August? Completely makes sense, but I've already submitted all letters and have my committee interview set up - is this a common practice?

I've done about 1/4 content review so far, looking to finish up within the next 3-4 weeks or so and then move on to practice tests. I'm about a year out of school, so most of this is just refreshing myself with the topics. I plan on doing what I've seen others suggest on here, submit to one school as soon as AMCAS comes out to get the process going - but can I do that without the committee letter? Should I take June 1 or 17? I think the extra two weeks would do me some good, and I have a decently strong app, but don't want to risk a too late app.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, thank you! My pre-med advisors are telling me that being verified by Aug1 is too late, but I've seen on this forum as well on other school websites that that isn't the case. I'm just nervous about being too late, I'd say I'm right in the middle of applicants and stand a fairly average chance at getting in at this point. Hopefully the extra 2 weeks of MCAT practice will bump me up a bit.