1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Junior Chemical Engineer Becoming Pre-Med...The Next 2(3?) Years?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by RSAgator, Aug 9, 2006.

1. RSAgator

RSAgator Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I am currently entering my third year as a Chemical Engineer at the University of Florida, and have decided that I want to persue medicine (has always been a desire of mine, and recent events/speaking to people have made me decide to go for it).

Where I stand:

I currently have a pretty high GPA (3.87) and have completed 1 year General Chemistry and 1 year Physics. Unfortunately I will need to retake my one year of Bio (AP'd out of it with a 5 but I understand medschools prefer a college level course). I also still have to take the Organics.

As far as extra-curricular type things, I just spent a semester in Korea on a research/exchange program (more exchange than research) and am about to spend my fall in Japan on a full time research program (exciting!). Aside from that, I've done 2 other semesters of research (chemical engineering with a biological emphasis). Spent a semester as an RA as well (does this count as leadership or is it more a club based thing?)

The problems:

Now, since I'll be gone for a semester I'll need to kick it into high gear to play a bit of catch up, which means spending next summer taking classes and possibly overloading myself with difficult courses. Since at BEST I can have my year of Bio + Organics completed by the end of the summer (I would be taking other classes in the summer as well) I don't think I'll have too much time to study for the MCAT. Should I just plan to take the MCAT summer of my senior year and apply for '10 instead of '09, and also spread out my courses a bit? Does spending an extra semester or two have a negative impact on my application?

What I should do:

I see a lot of people mentioning how important research/EC's are, should I be looking to do more health-related research or is engineering research fine? Also what else should I be doing?

Thanks for your time, this isn't a "look what I've done tell me how great I am" kind of thread, I know I'm on the right track, I just want to know what else I should be doing.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DoctorPardi

DoctorPardi In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would make sure your first concern is maintaining your good gpa. In spring take bio I and Organic I and then take bio II in the summer and organic the following fall.

So you could take the mcat after the fall 07 semester.

4. RSAgator

RSAgator Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

So if I plan to take the MCAT after fall I would be applying to med school for the 09-10 academic year instead of the 08-09? If that's the case should I just spread the classes out a bit and plan to spend an extra semester (4.5 years) in school? It won't be looked at unfavorably correct?

5. MahSpoon

MahSpoon is TOOOOO big
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you take all the Bio and Ochem during the 06-07 school year then there you can definitely take the MCAT in July/August. "Studying" for the mcat is basically just reviewing stuff from pre-req classes and doing practice problems. In your case, the review will be easier since you just took the classes and your strong background in physics will help. I don't see a problem with shooting for applying for the entering med school in 2008.

I was a chem E but dropped it at the begining of my second year when I knew i for sure wanted to do medicine and that engineering made me :sleep:

6. RSAgator

RSAgator Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Well the problem comes with me not being here in the fall (Japan) and thus needing to take Bio 1/2 and Organic 1/2 before I take the MCAT in August (would literally have JUST finished organic and bio before I take the MCAT). The other problem is that I have other classes as well, none of which are just a breeze. I think I'm answering my own questions by asking them hehe.

Is it better to take the MCAT in April rather than August (when is it best to start applying).

7. DoctorPardi

DoctorPardi In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think you should apply in the 2009 cycle. Take organic/bio I in spring, and organic or bio II in summer and the other in fall. Thanks to the MCAT going to a computer based test you'll have up to 22 times a year to take it. So april/august will not be your only options. If you have finished all the MCAT prereqs then try to take in the spring or mid summer of 08. You'll want to apply as easly as possible. June is the earliest you can submit AMCAS and you should do it then, even if you haven't gotten your scores back yet.