Junior/Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheTickets

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. First of all, I should mention I'm a new member to the forum.

I'm a high school senior looking for more info on the premed requirements. I slacked off basically my entire high school career expcept for this last one. Of course, it's the one that matters the least to my educational future. It's not because I'm stupid. I was just lazy and unmotivated. Now, I'm motivated, but I'm afraid it's too late. Anyway, I may have to attend Community College for a semester to prove to a University that I can handle the load. My question is will going to a community college for a semester significantly hurt my chances of maybe someday applying to a medical school? I tried to do a search but couldn't find anything. Any sort of info, comments, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see how one semester at a CC would hurt you. Besides, you gotta do what you gotta do. Just leave your pre-reqs for when you get to a 4-year university. I've heard that adcoms really don't like those being done at CC's.

No it wont, just take all your prereqs at the major university.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, that's what I heard. To take all my prereqs at a 4 year. Thanks for all your help guys. I've been trying to find an answer to that question for a few months now.

Thanks again

It will not kill your chances if you have to take your pre-reqs at the community college. I took Gen Chem 2, Phys 1/2 and Organic 1/2 at a community college. I am currently an M1. There is a lot of stigma on SDN about pre-reqs at community colleges.

It will not kill your chances if you have to take your pre-reqs at the community college. I took Gen Chem 2, Phys 1/2 and Organic 1/2 at a community college. I am currently an M1. There is a lot of stigma on SDN about pre-reqs at community colleges.

Perhaps, but there are a few med schools that say something along the lines of 'It is not recommended' when asked in community college courses are accepted.

That's good to hear. I'm sure it's something that varies a lot between schools. Either way, I'd prefer to play it safe when possible, ya know?

Oh, and I almost forgot the most important part... Good luck to the OP! :)

What med schools really frown on is attending an academic powerhouse during the school year & taking pre-med courses at a community college over the summer. Everyone knows that O-Chem at Brown is a bitch but taking it at Community College "back home" is just lame. That's the sort of thing that gives course work at community college a bad name.

Starting out in a community college & then transferring to a University is OK.

Perhaps, but there are a few med schools that say something along the lines of 'It is not recommended' when asked in community college courses are accepted.

Name the schools that frown on it. There doesn't seem to be anyone who has any reliable information about community colleges. You would think that if med schools didn't want community college credits that they would say so in their websites or student handbook, but they don't.

The only college that I spoke to that said anything like this was Wake Forest, but they told me that as long as the community college was accredited that they would accept my community college credits. Most colleges simply state that your 300/400 level corse work must be at a university and that only a certain amount of cc credits can be accepted.

What med schools really frown on is attending an academic powerhouse during the school year & taking pre-med courses at a community college over the summer. Everyone knows that O-Chem at Brown is a bitch but taking it at Community College "back home" is just lame. That's the sort of thing that gives course work at community college a bad name.

I agree.

Some community colleges are known to be rigerous. I started out attending a university and then took some of my pre-reqs at the community college over the summer, and I took physics at the community college while dually enrolled at a university. I think it depends on your reasons for taken community college courses that you can explain in your interview if it is brought up (it wasn't in my case). If you are taking cc courses because they are easier, it will reflect in your MCAT score.

Name the schools that frown on it. There doesn't seem to be anyone who has any reliable information about community colleges. You would think that if med schools didn't want community college credits that they would say so in their websites or student handbook, but they don't.

The only college that I spoke to that said anything like this was Wake Forest, but they told me that as long as the community college was accredited that they would accept my community college credits. Most colleges simply state that your 300/400 level corse work must be at a university and that only a certain amount of cc credits can be accepted.

If the 300 level must be taken at University, and Ochem is a 300 level course (at least at my school), then don't you by definition have to do at least some of your prereqs at a university? Besides, most medschools require you to have a bachelor's degree, ergo attend a 4 year university. SInce you're there for the BA/S, why not play it safe and do your prereqs at the same time? To the OP, do what other posters have advised, don't do the prereqs at CC, take them at the university level. just take whatever you have to at the CC to get into the university.

I also took some pre-reqs in a community college and I just got accepted early decision. Bottom line is whatever u do, do it well and pass the MCAT

SInce you're there for the BA/S, why not play it safe and do your prereqs at the same time? To the OP, do what other posters have advised, don't do the prereqs at CC, take them at the university level. just take whatever you have to at the CC to get into the university.

Because if you're a science major, there's no way you can complete a degree in four years if you wait to take all your basic sciences at the university level. It's mandatory that you take upper level sciences in order to get a science degree. If you leave all your intro classes for years three and four, you (a) won't be prepared to take the MCAT junior year of college and (b) probably won't graduate on time unless you take five science classes a semester.

The CC myth is just that -- a myth. There are two schools who frown on CC credits -- Wake Forest and Boston U. and in both cases, it's because they don't want some Harvard student to decide to take OChem at a CC for an easy A instead of at Harvard where he takes the rest of his classes.

Take all the CC credits you want. What really counts is how you do on the MCAT. If you're going from CC to a four-year school, then it's imperative that you keep your GPA up when you make the switch, especially if you take upper level science courses at the four-year school.

Members don't see this ad :)

What if I do the opposite? I take normal 15+ credit hour semesters at a university (pre-med classes/classes for my major) and take random general ed. classes over the summer at Houston Community College? While I was still in high school I took 2 semesters of English, 2 of Poli Sci, 1 of Economics, and 1 of College Algebra at said community college. I am also planning on taking English Literature and Psychology (both gen. ed requirements) at the community college over the next summer(s). My reasoning is:

1). I just don't want to have to deal with those classes at the university while taking huge loads of science classes (relative to how many I am used to). 2). I save money by taking them there. 3). I usually get quite bored during the summer (even while working and volunteering) and feel like I should be taking classes at all times; I love to learn. 4). Taking 2 more classes at Houston Community College this summer will allow me to graduate a semester early from college with a B.S in Biomedical Science.

So that being said, will having taken these classes at HCC while in high school and a few over the summer while on break from the university truly be that big of a deterrent in terms of medical school admissions?

PS: Taking summer school classes at the university is not an option right now due to location, living issues, and cost. But it could be an option in the near future.

I'm a high school senior looking for more info on the premed requirements. I slacked off basically my entire high school career expcept for this last one. Of course, it's the one that matters the least to my educational future. It's not because I'm stupid. I was just lazy and unmotivated. Now, I'm motivated, but I'm afraid it's too late. Anyway, I may have to attend Community College for a semester to prove to a University that I can handle the load. My question is will going to a community college for a semester significantly hurt my chances of maybe someday applying to a medical school? I tried to do a search but couldn't find anything. Any sort of info, comments, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time

I was also lazy in high school. I graduated with a 2.4 GPA. I attended two years of community college. I did not decide to enter medicine until my sophmore year. I also took all of my Biology and my first year of physics at community college. If you do well at CC, you can usually transfer to a pretty good university. Make sure you have a good SAT. I was able to transfer to the top school in my state. I could have never gone there out of high school. I am now in medical school.

I'm going to take a couple of my pre-reqs at the CC, just so that I can get complete in a year.. plus, i figure it'll look better on my application to have some of them done instead of none..

And the third trimester of my last year I can take some upper level sciences, which also may help my chances..

Just my 2 cents..

Alright:

Mount Sinai

Not very explicit, but they said they take it into account.

I can't find the one that says simply 'It is not recommended' and I really haven't paid any attention because it doesn't apply to me. Soon as I find it, I'll post it.

Most schools don't care, but you probably shouldn't take all of your pre-reqs at a community college, just in case you want to apply to those that are picky about it. Frankly, I'm surprised Columbia doesn't say anything, since they will not accept AP credits as prereqs unless you have higher level coursework.

Should it really matter about cc's? Shouldnt a 4.0(with a good courseload) and a great MCAT suffice.. with no regards to the institutions?

I took some pre-reqs at a cc because I couldn't get them to fit into my schedule in a timely manner at the 4-yr. I called up the admissions office at the main school I want to attend and asked if they would mind, or if I should take more upper level classes at my 4-yr institution to balance it out a bit. She told me basically not to bother, as long as I do decently on the mcat it's not going to matter. Prove you know the material, who cares where u learned it : )
*except for the snobby schools- they might care lol

This is exactly what I thought as well, I mean I do not know where the myth about being pretty much obligated to take all your pre-req's at a 4-year Uni. came from. But I agree, as long as you have good grades strong GPA and a good Mcat score your fine, I dont think it matters where you learn it as well.

But I do know that there are some picky Uni. as well that might or prob. overlook you if you take your pre-req's at a cc. But thats only a handfull, if not less pretty sure of that....:oops:

What if I do the opposite? I take normal 15+ credit hour semesters at a university (pre-med classes/classes for my major) and take random general ed. classes over the summer at Houston Community College? While I was still in high school I took 2 semesters of English, 2 of Poli Sci, 1 of Economics, and 1 of College Algebra at said community college. I am also planning on taking English Literature and Psychology (both gen. ed requirements) at the community college over the next summer(s). My reasoning is:

1). I just don't want to have to deal with those classes at the university while taking huge loads of science classes (relative to how many I am used to). 2). I save money by taking them there. 3). I usually get quite bored during the summer (even while working and volunteering) and feel like I should be taking classes at all times; I love to learn. 4). Taking 2 more classes at Houston Community College this summer will allow me to graduate a semester early from college with a B.S in Biomedical Science.

So that being said, will having taken these classes at HCC while in high school and a few over the summer while on break from the university truly be that big of a deterrent in terms of medical school admissions?

PS: Taking summer school classes at the university is not an option right now due to location, living issues, and cost. But it could be an option in the near future.

This might be acceptable at some schools. Other schools may wish that you had spent the summer in a research environment rather than using the time to collapse the usual 4 year curriculum into 3.5 years.

What schools frown on (and it isn't that they won't accept the credits) is the person who is protecting a very high gpa by taking the "killer courses" at a place where it is much easier to come out on top. So, if I'm comparing 2 applicants from school X and one took 120 at school X and the other took 16 credits at community college and 104 credits at school X. Both have the same gpa. Are the two equal or should one be considered a "better" gpa than the other?

Important clarification: you generally should not take pre-reqs at a CC if you already have a BA/BS. If you are still an undergrad, its fine.

That said, a friend of mine graduated from Cal, but took online genchem while he worked. He has invites to Baylor, Michigan to name a few so I don't think it'll kill you either way as long as your app is strong.

Good luck, ain't nothing wrong with a CC.

I went to a CC for my first two years - took my gen chems and bio courses. Will be going to UCSD for the rest of the two years - doing a double major.

I've heard all these horrible stories about CC's -and none are true. There are some cc's that suck, and arent that great for you to learn from, but you'll basically get the same thing out of it as any student going to a very expensive Uni. Its how hard you work and the grades that makes the difference. Try your best, no matter what.

Plus, when you apply to med school, they don't see that you went to the CC and then the Uni - they only see the Uni. And your diploma doesnt say your CC either.

CC's are awesome ways to get cheap good education by professors who care. its also a way to ease into the whole college experience. i don't regret a moment of it. =)

when you apply to med school, they don't see that you went to the CC and then the Uni - they only see the Uni.

This is NOT true. The AMCAS clearly lists every post-secondary school that you have attended. You will be required to provide transcripts from those schools (not just the university transcript).

Again, it doesn't much matter if you went to community college and then university (heck, I once met the Dean of a US allopathic med school who earned an associate degree before going on for the bachelor & MD degrees). The real "sin" is having a record that makes it look like you were taking the easy way out by taking the hardest courses in the school with the least competition (where the curve will be kind).

I would make sure that you take atleast 1 course beyond the last one you took at CC in each of the core disciplines (Chem, Bio, Physics, Math). CC matters to a minor degree, but it is not a killer. I was asked about it on interviews, but it didn't prevent me from getting accepted. It also doesn't look as bad to get credits at a community college before attending a university. If you go back after going to a university, it will look fishy.

Thank you for your time

Na man, the exact same thing (well, kind of) happened to me. I decided to go to a jc for one semester but after realizing how the standard was I decided to transfer to a 4 year university. I don't think med schools care if you go to a jc for one semester. A friend of mine took most of her pre-med core classes at a jc and still got into a good med school. Just make sure that you get A grades in the classes you take though, lol.

Oh yeah, I once took a general chem class at a jc and it was hell of a lot harder than the one at my 4 year college. :laugh:

I'm not sure whether this applies to any other school, but just to let some of you know so that you can take it into account...the assistant dean of admissions of NYU med school visited our school this week. A student specifically asked a question about how they view courses taken from CC's. She said she'd prefer to see the courses taken at a 4 year college. However, she said if someone took some courses in the beginning year of college from a CC then transferred to a 4 year college to finish up their degree and did just as well, it wouldn't matter.

You should be fine with a semester or even one year at a CC. Stay longer and you end up taking a bunch of sociology and nutrition classes and later end up taking PChem, Biochem, Physics, etc. all at the same time trying to study for the MCAT. Go ahead and take your intro Bio and Chem courses, maybe Micro or A&P, as well as a basic math or english. Save the Organic for university. Every single person on here took a different route, so try not to get too involved with the med school version of keeping up with the Joneses.

You can definitely take intro BIO I and II at a CC and just take two more upper levels at a university.

Then take all of your general education courses such as psychology and other things like that. That will take care of possibly a year where you can start with a high GPA. Of course it's up to you to learn the stuff and be ready when you get into the university.

I did two years at a JC (GPA 3.9) and two years at a UC (GPA 4.0, summa cum laude). I found the JC a little more challenging. Most ADCOMS liked the transition. It also makes you somewhat unique that you are not the standard student. I will be in med school next year.