Junior in high school, interested in this field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foxington

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I've posted in the Studentdoctor forums before in the Vet section and now that time has passed I no longer want to become a doctor because of how uninterested I am with the overall science behind it. I've been thinking an awful lot about careers lately, and three that I think about the most are being an optometrist, lawyer, and a real estate broker. The thing that interests me the most about optometry is that usually the setting is usually in an office (which is what I like), and it's a very social position too. I've had a wonderful optometrist when I was much younger, and he made me want to consider the position. I have had neighbors in the field too, and most seem to thoroughly enjoy it, because you can have flexible hours, make money, and enjoy your job at the same time. I'm a very humorous person, and very social and it could be a career for me. I also wanna say that as for my grades in high school, they're eh.. Through the 9th grade I didn't do the best (mainly got B's), the 10th grade I didn't do great either, but started doing better in the last semester. Now in the 11th grade, I've really stepped it up and am performing excellently. I can handle studies and hard work. My main question is: what does this career require in terms of schooling? What do they go over in optometry school? How long do you have to attend? What are the requirements? Is this job for everyone, why or why not? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Also I want to clarify about the science part: I don't dislike science, but when it's the only thing you work with then I'd just fall asleep. Optometry from what I know is mainly just a knowledge of using lenses, scopes, and understanding people's vision and what type of glasses they may need.

If you didn't like Medicine because of the science, you sure as heck aren't gonna like optometry.

I'd say the science involved in optometry and medicine are pretty much equal.

Members don't see this ad :)
To answer your questions though...

What does this career require in terms of schooling?

First, a bachelors degree, including the necessary pre-requisites. This is usually college level biology, chemistry, math, and physics. Then you take an entrance test, the OAT, kind of like the SAT/ACT of optometry school. Then four years of optometry school, including basic health sciences, clinical courses, and finally clinical work experience.

What do they go over in optometry school?

Eye diseases and disorders, systemic disease and overall health. The first year of school you will be taking courses in anatomy, physiology, optics, biochemistry, and the eye.

How long do you have to attend?

A four year doctor at program after usually four years of undergraduate.

What are the requirements?

See above.

Is this job for everyone, why or why not?

No job is a job for EVERYONE. :)

I think if you are interested in lenses, frames and optics you can consider becoming an optician!

Hi! I've posted in the Studentdoctor forums before in the Vet section and now that time has passed I no longer want to become a doctor because of how uninterested I am with the overall science behind it. I've been thinking an awful lot about careers lately, and three that I think about the most are being an optometrist, lawyer, and a real estate broker. The thing that interests me the most about optometry is that usually the setting is usually in an office (which is what I like), and it's a very social position too. I've had a wonderful optometrist when I was much younger, and he made me want to consider the position. I have had neighbors in the field too, and most seem to thoroughly enjoy it, because you can have flexible hours, make money, and enjoy your job at the same time. I'm a very humorous person, and very social and it could be a career for me. I also wanna say that as for my grades in high school, they're eh.. Through the 9th grade I didn't do the best (mainly got B's), the 10th grade I didn't do great either, but started doing better in the last semester. Now in the 11th grade, I've really stepped it up and am performing excellently. I can handle studies and hard work. My main question is: what does this career require in terms of schooling? What do they go over in optometry school? How long do you have to attend? What are the requirements? Is this job for everyone, why or why not? Thanks!

Those three careers are so completely different in so many ways that I wouldn't even know where to begin.

And I think you're putting the cart way before the horse here. If you are a junior in high school, what you should be focusing on is doing as well as you possibly can in your classes, doing an extracurricular or two that you really enjoy, getting a part time job and working on researching and applying to a college or university that you will enjoy attending and that you can succeed at.

Reactions: 1 user