Junior Looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanillabear9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a junior now at a large public university in the North East. I'm just trying to get some advice from the community to see where you all think I stand with my application

here's my info:

gpa: 3.35 right now, maybe 3.4 by the end of the first semester of my junior year
mcat: haven't taken yet, i'm getting like 32 on my practice exams for what it's worth

have some pretty interesting ec's, mostly topped by being president of my fraternity, and working as an RA for academic credit at an area hospital

is my gpa too low? will i probably need to do a post-bacc or smp?

Members don't see this ad.

bumping because I'm interested in seeing the replies to this also. :)

I do believe you're in very good range for DO schools. Depending on your state of residency and where you apply, you aren't necessarily out of the game for MD. You'll need to have some heavy research or EC for them to consider looking the other way for the GPA. The MCAT score may be of trouble if it turns out 32. While it is average to slightly above average, it would be expected to be higher from a candidate with a lower GPA.

There are other things here at play, of course. Don't be discouraged. Apply broadly and early.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 3.4 is below the mean cGPA for entering DO students of 3.48 and for MD of 3.67. A proportionately higher MCAT score will win you consideration at many schools regardless. Of great importance that you didn't mention is your AMCAS BCPM and AACOMAS sGPA.

Why not wait until after your senior year to apply, which would give you three more semesters of GPA repair, provided you can establish a steep upward grade trend. It is premature to discuss SMP or postbac.

thanks for the input. just to give you all some more info to see if it changes my chances:

amcas bcpm:3.40
aacomas sgpa: 3.47
cGPA: 3.41

ct resident