Junior, low GPA, chance for postbaccs/SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supergirl09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Both cummulative and science GPA are around a 2.9. Hoping to bring them both up around a 3.1 by the end of this year.
Should I still apply for postbacc programs? If so, which ones?

Also - planning to take the mcat this spring, any suggestions on when to take it/what scores to aim for?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I can only speak for my own experience, but as a reasonably competitive admission small MS post-bac program (not an SMP), we would look for a strong upward grade trend in your upperclass years and a MCAT of probably at least a 28, as well as good experientials. A score of 30+ will definitely increase your options.

Get As this year in your coursework, especially the upper level sciences (getting that GPA over a 3.0 is pretty key), cultivate some good LORs, do a solid job on your MCAT and you should be in the range for quite a few post-bac programs. Also, make sure you pick post-bac programs that are really a match for what you need and express that match well in your essay. That helps a lot too.

When are you planning to take the MCAT? I would suggest taking it no later than March, as you will have a month to wait for your score and many post-bac programs will try to fill by mid-May. - Edited to say... oh wait... you're a junior, nevermind, take the MCAT when you feel ready. Don't rush it. :)

Best,

Alice