Junior Year, 2.79 sGPA do i have a chance???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sfian albik

Hopefuldoc
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
j

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You might consider some more retakes to take advantage of DO grade replacement policies and further raise your GPAs. With a cGPA over 3.0 and and an upward grade trend, especially in the sciences, an MCAT of 30+ gives you a shot at DO schools, or a shot at getting into a Special Masters Program that can give you a chance at getting into an MD program (with excellent performance competing with med students in their linked med school --- essentially, it's an expensive audition to see if you have what it takes to excel).

You might consider some more retakes to take advantage of DO grade replacement policies and further raise your GPAs. With a cGPA over 3.0 and and an upward grade trend, especially in the sciences, an MCAT of 30+ gives you a shot at DO schools, or a shot at getting into a Special Masters Program that can give you a chance at getting into an MD program (with excellent performance competing with med students in their linked med school --- essentially, it's an expensive audition to see if you have what it takes to excel).

Im in a similar position as you. High MCAT, killer ECs, maybe SMP, and try MD :thumbup:. DO/Carrib = :thumbdown:. gl.

Im in a similar position as you. High MCAT, killer ECs, maybe SMP, and try MD :thumbup:. DO/Carrib = :thumbdown:. gl.

DO school isn't the end of the world. The Caribbean has lovely weather, anyway, something that sounds very appealing right now.

How have you done on MCAT practice tests so far? Practice test scores tend to be helpful hints as to how successful you will be on the real test.

Except you haven't taken the MCAT yet, and that high MCAT score lives in your little head like the tooth fairy or Bigfoot.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet - I will next spring, im already starting to prep for it now. I may not get a high score my first time, ok whatever, ill just take it again So stfu :)

DO school isn't the end of the world. The Caribbean has lovely weather, anyway, something that sounds very appealing right now.

How have you done on MCAT practice tests so far? Practice test scores tend to be helpful hints as to how successful you will be on the real test.

California has lovely weather too (and lovely women in LA). DO depends on if you want to swallow your ego and go for it or not. I can't but maybe the OP can.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet - I will next spring, im already starting to prep for it now. I may not get a high score my first time, ok whatever, ill just take it again So stfu :)

I thought you were done being a "failure"? How have you put it elsewhere...maybe you should man up?

Also, unlike many DO programs, most MD programs would prefer you take the MCAT once, for a number of reasons that are discussed ad nauseum around here. But I wish you the very best of luck. You'll need every bit of it.

And like you've also pointed out elsewhere, you can freely choose to ignore me (although you always reply to my posts, so I doubt you can.) In the meantime, I'll kindly refrain from stfu-ing.

I have done 120 hours of volunteer Licensed CPR. And now i am currently going to join the EMT at my college and looking forward to do 100 hours. also i am trying to do shadowing with one of my close doctor who is a chiropractor. Do you think that would be good enough or should there be more that i am missing.
It sounds like your clinical patient experience will be good, but you'll also need some clinical environment experience if you didn't do the CPR in a hospital or other medical milieu.

I suggest at least 50 hours of MD or DO shadowing, which is about the average amount applicants list. Try to shadow 2-3 specialties, of which at least one is primary care. If you want to include some chiro shadowing, it won't hurt you.

Research is a good EC to have, as is leadership, teaching, and nonmedical community service. You don't need all this, but having some strengthens your application. Don't forget to include hobbies, sports, and artistic endeavors as appearing well-rounded helps you.
And btw, i was redoing my GPA calculations based on getting an A in every class from now on and i made a mistake, it now gave me that i would end up with a 3.3 sGPA and cGPA of a 3.4. That will be counting my retakes like in MD schools and a 3.6 sGPA for a DO school.
Much better!