Junior year GPA vs senior year GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monatanu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all :)
So I just finished my sophomore year and my cGPA is 3.06 right now and I really want to go to med school. I can raise my cGPA to 3.6 or maybe even to 3.67 if I get all A's and with a heavy course load by the end of my senior year. I also need to do more EC and stuff so I was wondering should I apply to med schools at the end of junior year or at the end of senior year. I am just a bit hesitant to do it in my senior year because I would lose a year since the application process is a year long. I would love some advice :) And I you suggest that I apply by the end of my senior year, what should I focus on doing during that gap year?
I appreciate your help. Thank you :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all :)
So I just finished my sophomore year and my cGPA is 3.06 right now and I really want to go to med school. I can raise my cGPA to 3.6 or maybe even to 3.67 if I get all A's and with a heavy course load by the end of my senior year. I also need to do more EC and stuff so I was wondering should I apply to med schools at the end of junior year or at the end of senior year. I am just a bit hesitant to do it in my senior year because I would lose a year since the application process is a year long. I would love some advice :) And I you suggest that I apply by the end of my senior year, what should I focus on doing during that gap year?
I appreciate your help. Thank you :D
You have a far below average GPA right now. If you want your best chance at getting into medical school, apply after your senior year. Applying after your junior year would eliminate your gap year, but your GPA will still not be that strong for MD schools, so it is worth it to wait. Applying after your junior year woAs to what to do during the gap year, work, volunteer, take a vacation, etc. Keep working toward improving your application, and how exactly you do it isn't as important.

You want to be a doctor more or have the MD behind your name?

Go DO if you answered doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could still go MD if you straighten everything out. Truthfully though, past performance is the best indicator of future success, so I'm not banking on you suddenly becoming a straight A student. You're gong to need straight As, a gap year, a strong MCAT, and strong ECs to go MD. Could probably swing DO with a solid upward tend and a 28+.

While you might be competitive for some DO schools after junior year, if you want your best shot at MD schools, wait until after senior year to apply or even after a 5th college year since getting straight As from here on out with a heavy academic schedule might be more challenging than you think.

If applying after junior year seems like a fine plan to avoid a gap year, then aim at retaking any prerequisites of C or lower, as DO med schools, unlike MD, have a grade forgiveness policy and only count the most recent grade if you retake for the same credit hours or greater (doesn't have to be at the same institution).

If you do opt for a gap year, you could consider a one-year masters, a decent job with benefits and good pay + more volunteering, an entry-level job in research or a medical facility, or a public service job like Americorps (that comes with a stipend). One's choice often depends on where one's application is perceived to be weakest.