1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Junior Year of Undergrad

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DrBri, Jul 28, 2011.

1. DrBri

Pre-Medical
    So, I'm heading into my Junior year of Undergrad, majoring in Biological Sciences. I took Physics this summer and aced it which is a relief but I am still terrified of this upcoming year. With another year of difficult classes, staying involved, and now studying for/taking the MCAT, I am terrified.

Can anyone else relate? I feel like I am constantly questioning my abilities and constantly worrying about what I will do if God forbid, I don't make it into medical school. Medicine is my passion and I want to be a doctor more than I can describe, so these doubts are incredibly daunting.

Also, anyone have any suggestions as far as MCAT prep goes? Study yourself? Kaplan versus Princeton Review?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JESSFALLING

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Why don't you go and take a drive somewhere nice and look at all the nice homes and cars filled with nice families? Then realize that studying hard this next year is your ticket to achieving the 'nice' things you want later in life - regardless of your career choice.

If 'nice' things don't motivate you, then go find a homeless man to hug and buy him dinner this weekend. Let him know about your plans and I'm sure that he'll be encouraging.

4. paul411

paul411 ANES
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Head over to the MCAT Discussions forums for a wealth of information on mastering the MCAT. Here's some especially helpful threads from that forum to get you started:

5. torshi

torshi Squirrel
    5+ Year Member

Your not the only one man

6. Camy99

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I just finished Physics I and will be starting Physics II in a few days (abroad, wooh!) annnnd I'll be an MCAT-taking junior next fall too.

So yeah, methinks I know how you feel (; It'll be alright.. hopefully. Who knows. Just keep doing your bestiest!

7. torshi

torshi Squirrel
    5+ Year Member

how do you learn physics abroad? just taking physics at another school abroad basically?

8. Hotshy

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm in the same exact boat right now, heading into the junior year. I'll be applying MD/PhD next summer and am worried about my limited research experience ect. Also I just took the MCAT july 16th so I'm waiting on my scores. But if that goes well it will be a huge weight off my shoulders, I will be really relieved at that point.

All we can do is just keep on keepin' on.

9. NewYorker9

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I feel you, I've heard a lot of stories about how junior year is supposed to be the most difficult and I'm not exactly looking forward to it. I guess one of the biggest things keeping me sane is my friends and just taking it one week(end) at a time

10. Camy99

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yah. I'm studying abroad in England.. and the class(es) I am taking is Physics so I can complete the whole series in 2 months instead of a year.

11. 1TB4RKSB4CK

1TB4RKSB4CK wussup doge
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm pretty pissed that I had to W my trig class. I won't be able to take Physics next semester. :(

12. Application Doc

Application Doc ojos doc
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I sympathize with your anxiety. But channel your anxiety into a more positive outlet. Junior year is the perfect time to get a jump-start on thinking about recommendation letters. Early in the semester, identify professors who you think will write a great letter, and then make an effort to attend their office hours, meet with them, excel in their class, etc. Don't wait until the last minute for letters!

13. number12

Pre-Medical
    Ya I know how you feel. I just finished my junior year, with 17 hours of classes on top of studying for the mcat and a mess of extracurriculars. So much anxiety! However, I think I could have avoided it if I had started seriously studying earlier, every day. I think I started being serious about 3 months before, and it killed me, cause I had so much stuff to do other than study for the mcat.

What did save my life, though, was running. I went slightly crazy with the staying-in-shape thing.

14. Procyon

Procyon Space Cowboy
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I feel like I can relate to that so much! You're not alone. Try to stay positive though. It's tough, but we've made it this far, right? It'll be hard, but we just have to keep on pushing forward until we reach our goal. Have confidence that you can do it. If you ever wanna talk or just rant to someone, you could always PM me. :)