MD & DO Junior Year Update - WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr_Churchill

Student
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • Year in school: Junior

• Country/state of residence: USA

• Cumulative GPA: 3.68

• Science GPA: 3.54

• MCAT Scores: Not yet taken. Expecting to take Spring 2019.

• Research: Expected 140 hours by December 2018. Currently doing 10 hours/week.

• Volunteering (clinical): 74 hours in hospital ED as of 8/26. 113 hours by December 2018.

• Physician shadowing: None

• Non-clinical volunteering: 13 hours through 2 organizations. Hope to get more in Spring/Summer 2019.

• Extracurricular activities:
    • Runner's Association: 8-12 hrs/week since August 2016

• Pre-Health Professions Club: 1-3 hours/week since August 2016
  • Employment history:
    • 1236 hours to date since May 2016.

• 5 jobs since May 2016. Lifeguard (x2; one of them is on-going in Summers), Swim instructor, Biology Tutor, Resident Assistant (on-going)
  • Please include time span and weekly commitment for volunteering/research/shadowing/extracurriculars):
    • Research Assistant: 10 hours/week

• Resident Assistant: avg 20 hours/week

• Hospital Volunteer: 3 hours/week
  • Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): Yes, father is DO. Uncle is PA.
*** Not looking for a school list. Only interested in feedback on improvement before applying in Summer 2019.

Members don't see this ad.

Less research, more getting an A in your classes

Enrolled in 13 credits right now. Getting biology elective credit of 3 credits for this semester from the Research, which counts towards graduation & my degree. Part of the deal was that I work 10 hours a week

You need way more in the clinical
and nonclinical areas and physician shadowing. Stop thecresearch. I doubt you’ll be going to one of the big research school where tons of hours in research are required. On the other hand, you really shouldn’t apply without the clinical, nonclinical and shadowing areas.

Last edited: